DiDeuterium Monoxide (D2O), AKA Heavy Water...

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I was thinking last night about this oddity, how different to H2O is D2O? Apart from the fact that Deuterium is a larger molecule than Hydrogen that is... :D

If, for example, someone drank only D2O instead of H2O, what would the possible effects be? I have looked on Wiki, but that kinda goes over my head as it's been written by a boffin of somesort...

I'm in no way interested in how heavy water is used in nuclear materials before anyone asks, I ain't no terrorist!!! :D

Also, I only know of Deuterium initially through Star Trek... :D

handyman 44

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox also technomate tm 1000 ci
motorised 80 cm dish
My Location
norwich "up the city" down the ipswich
you have to much spare time on your hand

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
handyman 44 said:
you have to much spare time on your hand

Well, it does say "Gets bored easily" under my name.... :D

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Someone else is interested...

_http://honesthypocrite.blogspot.com/2006/07/will-drinking-heavy-water-deuterated.html

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ah, drinking only D2O results in death, looking similar (but not caused by) to radiation poisoning, but $65 an Ounce, bit of an expensive poison if anyone were to think of it!!! :eek:

Seems that basic single-celled organisms can live in full or part heavy water, but more than 50% for us isn't good...

Ah well, that's my curiosity satisfied...

I'm bored now.... U-zzz

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I thought Tritium was the isotope for nuclear fusion reactions, deuterium was I believe used for slowing down the nuclear process in reactors, not creating them