Diesel versus Petrol ?

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
It's in a few stations here too. Not a viable long term alternative to crude oil based fuels I'm afraid. If we all used it for our cars and lorries there simply wouldn't be enough vegetable oil to go around, even if seed was grown just for that purpose it's unlikely there could ever be enough produced to meet worldwide demands.

Still it's a neat way to recycle old oil :)

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
I'm trading our car in shortly for a diesel version of same. I'm cautious about the claims made in this article that it's actually better than ordinary diesel :(

Any car mechanics out there than substaniate these claims :confused

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Channel Hopper has tried the vegetable oil I believe, I'm sure he'll comment when he sees this. :)

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
This is veggy oil that's been used for cooking, from hotels, McDonalds and the like. To the best of my knowledge it's collected by the firm concerned and no payment made. Not a bad little business :eek:

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'd like to use the oil from the onion bhaji factory, would certainly make me popular with the people behind me in traffic. :)

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Interesting veggie-diesel link:

Biofuels Learning Site with Tutorials .

The whole point about the Diesel - of course - is that it runs more economically than the Otto engine, which - as oil becomes scarcer - will be increasingly important!

dig deep

Prince of Birthdays
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dream7020 and AZ Elite and a few DM800
My Location
Sweden
add a centiliter aceton to a full tank :)

Works really good

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Channel Hopper has tried the vegetable oil I believe, I'm sure he'll comment when he sees this. :)

Mr Diesel based his high compression engine on fuels derived from vegetable matter some 90 years ago, however the petroleum companies saw the benefits once the prototypes were running.

I would suggest only older engines are run on alternative non-mineral oils, the newer ones have much higher pressure injection systems that require the special lubicants that are present in the fuel at the pumps. Additionally any temperature changes have a direct impact on the ability for the chip oil to be sucked from the tank to the engine, and night-time/winter may cause the stuff to solidify in the fuel lines.

Of course any manufacturers warranty goes out of the window, and you should notify your friendly Customs and Excise officer of your weekly use of oils that are sourced outside the garage forecourts.

malcolm7753

Reaction score
hi ive been running my citreon zx on 3litres of cooking oil to 10 litres of diesel for 6 months now and it runs better with more power, apart from the smell its great

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
i was going to mention the smell too... i followed a car (strangley a citreon too...ummm)
and it smelled like a really dirty chippy.. lard etc..

i was many cars behind at first and wondered what the hell the smell was... untill i got right behind it and the guy had a big sticker on the back boasting about the cooking oil...

sorry, but they will have to do better than that before im tempted :(

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Interesting debate this, especially the link provided by spiney. Just learned that many of the newer type buses in Malta fitted with Fiat engines are being monitored using only EORC Groups biodiesel. We wait and see :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
RedDevil_UK said:
i was going to mention the smell too... i followed a car (strangley a citreon too...ummm)
and it smelled like a really dirty chippy.. lard etc..:(

Using second hand oil does make the exhaust smell of what was being fried in it, fish shops, and some curry houses should be avoided.

RedDevil_UK said:
untill i got right behind it and the guy had a big sticker on the back boasting about the cooking oil...
:(

At least it wasn't mine then :-rofl2

gazzz

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
manhattan plaza 3300 90cm dish
My Location
midlands
try _http://jouneytoforever.org/ethanol.html a lot of info on eco fuel

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Although they can both be used in a diesel engine there is big difference between straight vegetable oil (SVO) and biodiesel.

SVO suffers badly from turning solid in fuel tanks and you can easily end up with having to flush absolitely everything through. Biodiesel is SVO that has been through a process (esterification? I forget) which removes part of the oil chain and makes it more amenable to the complete fuel system. Having said that, it's not all engines that can take 100% biodiesel as it can attack seals quite aggressively I believe.

Interestingly, Tescos in the northwest now sell diesel fuel with biodiesel mixed in. I thinks it's only 5% but it's a start.

As CH says, don't try SVO on the modern high pressure engines (common rail, pump duse etc), only older mechanically injected engines. I also believe that those with Lucas pumps shouldn't use SVO, only Bosch pumps.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The tax man won't be long in stopping people using old oil for free.

I think at present you have to tell them if you're running on bio diesel.

Add to that the local chippie, chinese will start charging when the demand steps up.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
gameboy said:
I think at present you have to tell them if you're running on bio diesel.
Not exactly. If you buy your biodiesel from the pump at a forecourt then it will be duty paid, if you tip your SVO into the tank after buying cooking oil from Tesco's, or even filtered old chippy oil, then yes you should. ;)

Oily

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite=Motorized Triax 88cm&a DM800HD with 500gb hd.Vu+ Duo
My Location
Radcliffe
I've been using Bio diesel(reclaimed oil) now for the last few months and in their promo leaflet it says its suitable for all modern cars or at least 10yrs or younger.Cars with rubber fuel pipes should avoid using it.The car is more responsive and it seems to have "softened" the engine whilst ticking over.
Even my mate who's a diesel expert(runs his own diesel engine shop) was impressed with the stuff,"lots of lubrication in it" he said!!
He never mentioned that i shouldn't be using it and he knows all there is to know about diesels.

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Oily said:
I've been using Bio diesel(reclaimed oil) now for the last few months and in their promo leaflet it says its suitable for all modern cars or at least 10yrs or younger.Cars with rubber fuel pipes should avoid using it.The car is more responsive and it seems to have "softened" the engine whilst ticking over.
Even my mate who's a diesel expert(runs his own diesel engine shop) was impressed with the stuff,"lots of lubrication in it" he said!!
He never mentioned that i shouldn't be using it and he knows all there is to know about diesels.

Have heard similar positive reports Oily (appropriate username LOL) from users here in Malta. I have e-mailed Fiat Turin asking how their 1.3 multijet TD will perform with biodiesel, as the worlds smallest diesel engine.

Regards - Marts :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Marts said:
I have e-mailed Fiat Turin asking how their 1.3 multijet TD will perform with biodiesel, as the worlds smallest diesel engine.

Not quite true

_http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_bikes.html