Difference between G/T and EIRP?

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Just looking at the Arabsat footprints for 26 east. What's the difference between EIRP and G/T?

They seem similar for 3A but are quite different for 2D.
_http://www.arabsat.com/satgen/gen.asp?code=3kuband
_http://www.arabsat.com/satgen/gen.asp?code=2DKuband

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
Hi,

G/T gives you the transponders effective Receiver Sensitivity and is comprised of a ratio between the Gain of the dish and the Noise Temperature of the receiver Low Noise Amplifier chain. Used by the stations linking to the satellite.

EIRP is the Effective Isotropic Radiated Power and is a measure of the total satellite transmit power including the Transmitter Output Power and the Gain of the dish minus any losses from waveguide etc quoted against a reference Isotropic antenna that has no gain in any given direction. Used by those of us who want to receive a satellite.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A small addition here, as ouagadougou says, the G/T is only really of interest if you are looking to transmit signals back to the satellite, as you would with 2 way internet by satellite. :)

Unfortunately and as with many other high tech things, when you do a google search for terms like these, the definitions/explanations of these are by technicians and are made up of more terms for which you have to do a google search, etc, etc. :D

ouagadougou

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2m NERA Prime Focus Dish for C/ku Bands, DM500, SkyStar2, Technomate 5500CIP, Force 1122.
My Location
Stockholm & Windhoek Namibia
rolfw said:
Unfortunately and as with many other high tech things, when you do a google search for terms like these, the definitions/explanations of these are by technicians and are made up of more terms for which you have to do a google search, etc, etc. :D

Its a complete pain isnt it ;)

If you want to get really confused then try reading the Intelsat/Arabsat/Eutelsat/ITU documents etc etc. They dont just refer to addittional Technical Terms, they refer to complete addittional documents which also refer to other complete additional documents. Round and round in circles you go. All good stuff really though.

Cheers.

atoonra

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satellite
My Location
MidEast
Talking about G/T , means directly the uplink (i.e., the path from the transmit earth station to the satellite) .On the other hand EIRP related to the received signal strength from the satellite measured at the receive antenna(downlink) which is our interest .
Regards