Different compression on time-shifted channels?

khcon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
na
My Location
na
Hi,

I recently noticed that the file size of a recording from the comedy central extra +1 channel was a lot smaller than expected so I did a test a recorded the same program from comedy central extra and the +1 channel an hour later (and on two receivers as well; DM7020 and a DM8000). The result was that the '+1' files were a lot smaller (940MB on +1 and 1240MB on the main channel). Also, an editor I used to process these files displayed a lower average bit rate.

Can anyone confirm if the +1 channels do indeed have a higher compression? And if so, are all time shifted channels like this?

Thanks...

bite

Superkomanda
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
0.8W; 4.8E; 13E (90cm),
19.2E; 28.2E; 36E (110cm),
DM800SE, DM600
My Location
Riga, Latvia
Well, Comedy Central Extra +1 just have smaller bitrate, than the main channel... That's all...

khcon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
na
My Location
na
That's just my point...

A time-shifted channel is supposed to provide the EXACT same data (a different station logo being the ONLY difference), just an hour (or whatever) later. If they use a higher compression for these channels they are useless.

Where / how do I find out if this is really the case?

Rick

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo 1.2m HH, Wavefield T90. AzBox HD Premium, Vu+ Duo
My Location
Blackburn, Lancs
khcon said:
That's just my point...

A time-shifted channel is supposed to provide the EXACT same data (a different station logo being the ONLY difference), just an hour (or whatever) later. ?

Who says they are supposed to provide the exact same data? All they advertise is that the programming is 1hr behind. I suppose you could email the channel providers and ask on a out of interest basis.

khcon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
na
My Location
na
rick1980 said:
Who says they are supposed to provide the exact same data? All they advertise is that the programming is 1hr behind. I suppose you could email the channel providers and ask on a out of interest basis.

It's implied...

cragllo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
N/A
My Location
N/A
khcon said:
It's implied...

Well not really, all a timeshift channel does is show the content from an hour ago etc. They don't have to have the same bitrate or resolution, in fact to get the +1 logo onto the screen they have to go though another encoder just to overlay that.

In a recent live episode of Big Brither's Little Brother a swear word was broadcast, while on the +1 broadcast the section where it happened was replaced with a message.

Take Virgin1 is 704x576 resolution, while Virgin1+1 is a poor 528x576 but both seem to have the same bitrate of about 3.4mbps