Directional Siren - Ten Years On

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
I wonder if any of you remember this being featured on Tomorrow's world back in 1996. Thankfully, I managed to record the feature and later dumped it onto minidisc.

Its had some remedial audio tweaking via PC - and is available as an MP3 to listen to again today.

Sadly, ten years on, the wailings of those crass US style sirens still prevail.

Apparently, the 'new' (white noise) siren didn't get emergency service workers 'pepp'd-up enough' by the time they reached their emergency - so the idea was dropped.

I suspect it was more to do with ego than service: firemen in the fifties with their clappy bell still managed to put out fires ;)

Whatever, the idea has had success in directional smoke alarm systems; but, I think that is about it.

It was plucky of the Leeds ambulance service to trial it back then - and its sad (IMHO) that the UK couldn't fix something that was and still is broke by applying it across all services.

Read more about this dead idea, here http://www.pulseplanet.com/archive/May96/1249.html

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I seem to remember hearing them relatively recently, they certainly got one's attention. :)

Not sure if they still use them now.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Agree that it's a pity that they aren't used as I'm frequently not sure which way the emergency vehicles are travelling. I also seem to remember that on the programme the individual bursts were of longer duration and that the white noise was about half, or less, long as the yelping noise.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Quite possibly Paul - but I didn't tweek anything honest :-doh2 Just removed the MiniDisc analogue noise between the bursts.

Mabe my video recorder was running fast?, lol.

Sweet that you and rolf appreciate this noise too, LOL ;-))