DisEqc Switch with Multiswitch (uncommitted?)

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
OK, I was thinking about using a 17 input Multiswitch for 28.2E, 23.5E, 19.2E and 13E, but having run the first 8 feeds to the dish, am running out of room (and cable on the drum) and having a quick rethink.

I want to send 28.2 all round the house, so freesat works in any room I may want a TV in (new house, decided no aerial on roof).

I would also like to send 23.5 to the kitchen for CSLink for the wife as well as dual tuner PVR in lounge.

13E and 19.2E are just for kicks, and mainly for dual tuner PVR, and maybe one other feed for media PC.

Right, so with multiswitch I can do this easily, but I need 16 feeds and expensive switch that runs all 4 LNB's 24x7 using more power.

What I am thinking is easier is Option A:
Multiswitch for 28.2E
4 way DisEqc switch for main receiver tuners (x2) and possibly PC, with 1 input fed from multiswitch, it see's 28.2E as an LNB on an input. Need to put quad's on 13, 23.5 and 19 and possibly octo on 28.2E or use some runs planned as a feed as a return from switch to dish location where diseqc switch is.

What I am wondering about is Option B:
Multiswitch (9 in) for 28.2 and 23.5
diseqc switch for main tuners and possibly PC, but as I am using diseqc now in multiswitch to get 23.5 I need to "cascade" I think its called, and I think I need a "uncomitted switch" to be able to do this?

Anyone tell me if option 2 would work?

There are also a number of other combinations it just occurs to me using just patches to certain tuners or certain switch combinations.

Can anyone tell me if you can "cascade" a multiswitch with more than one input behind a regular diseqc switch?

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi Ben ..
Sounds complex ..and hard to imagine without actually seeing a diagram ..
But I can tell you that I currently run an 8 input diseqc 1.1 switch ....with a diseqc 2.0 ... 4 port switch on input 1 of the 8 way switch ....in other words further splitting the 1st input to the 8 port 1.1 ...by adding a 4 port diseqc 2.0 switch at the end of a single cable ....which incidentally is also delivering usals 1.3 to the motorised dish on which the 4 lnbs are located ...
BUT ..
It depends on the receiver as to wether it can control this configuration ..
With the connections edited manually I have 4 receivers which can contol the remote 4 port switch through the 8 port switch ..
Azbox premium ..(no problems)
Cuberevo 9000HD (no problems)
Openbox S9 HD (no problems)
and finally the DRHD-F15 ...
this one requires the pressing of a few extra buttons on the remote to effectively send the control info again when switching between dishes/lnbs..
The F15 doesn't allow repeats of the diseqc info ..or delays to be incorporated..
Best of luck ..
It way well work ..but its a case of 'suck it and see'
rgds
VS

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triax TD110 with multi LNB 28.5E, 23.5E, 19E, 13E Inverto Black Ultra's (Black Premium on 28.5) into multiswitch. VU+ Duo. Emitor Satlook Lite meter.(Retired: Technomate 1500CI+, Moteck DG2100 DisEqC Motor, Metronic 85cm Clear Dish, Invacom 0.3db LNB
My Location
UK
Thanks for insight, so sounds like technically it will work fine, as long as the receiver supports it. My aged technomate has stopped listening to the remote (remote still works ok, codes come up on PC IR reader) so I have to buy a replacement and it will be VU+ or something like an Openvox or Azbox.

I notice you have the 2.0 behind the 1.1 thought, wondering if it works the other way around, as I think a multiswitch works like a 1.1?

Yes, compex, I don't like to do things the easy way :p

At least so far all I have is the dish, multi arm and a single black ultra for testing with my meter (and freesat in TV), so chance to get what works. Will have to try pull some more cables tonight and see how many I can get in teh wall

Paul (not Ben, that's just to confuse you ;))

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi Paul
Here are 2 quick diagrams
One showing the pictorial representation of the way the switches are cascaded in the F15 setup menu ..
The other showing that the switches are in actual fact wired in reverse ...
Nonetheless the config does work ..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• F15 menu pictorial.JPG
    F15 menu pictorial.JPG
    13.4 KB · Views: 262
  • actual switch setup.JPG
    actual switch setup.JPG
    17.6 KB · Views: 274

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
OldBen said:
T

I notice you have the 2.0 behind the 1.1 thought, wondering if it works the other way around, as I think a multiswitch works like a 1.1?

Multi-switches normally work with Diseqc1.0/2.0 if more than one satellite is used(9 wire or above). So the 2nd diagram by VS above applies to you.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
If you already have a motorised system (not clear from the profile - was it replaced completely ?), why not commit the 28 and 23 positons in the places they are most needed, , and run two cables from the steerable system, one direct to the switch from the LNB, and one direct from the motor to the Technomate ?

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Vipersan said:
Hi Paul
Here are 2 quick diagrams
One showing the pictorial representation of the way the switches are cascaded in the F15 setup menu ..
The other showing that the switches are in actual fact wired in reverse ...
Nonetheless the config does work ..
rgds
VS

Robbo said:
Multi-switches normally work with Diseqc1.0/2.0 if more than one satellite is used(9 wire or above). So the 2nd diagram by VS above applies to you.

Thanks Vipersan/Robbo, so sounds like it is possible, but need diseqc 2.0 switch as well as multiswitch, the EMP-Centauri multiswitch I was looking at is diseqc 2.0 according to its spec.

Channel Hopper said:
If you already have a motorised system (not clear from the profile - was it replaced completely ?), why not commit the 28 and 23 positons in the places they are most needed, , and run two cables from the steerable system, one direct to the switch from the LNB, and one direct from the motor to the Technomate ?

So I had a motor, single LNB and 85cm clear with the technomate prior to moving two months ago. I still have the bits, but I want to go to a Triax TD110 (which I am hoping should just be enough for 23.5, still need to fully test that, dish is mounted on patio stand already) and use 28.5 and 23.5 the most (hence they would be on the switch, 23.5 main focus of dish). To add 13 and 19 LNB is no big issue with that size dish and the offset, but rather than switch it all in it occured to me I could reduce cabling by switching them out at the dish and just keeping the main two of interest on a multiswitch (and making it cheaper).

Also technomate has issue and needs to be replaced, hence I want dual tuner PVR, which is another reason to move away from motor setup as it can only be in one place at once.

And no, there is no room for two dishes, I already had that refused by wife planning :rolleyes:

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Think you need a diseqc 1.1 switch as well as the multiswitch, not a diseqc 1.0/2.0 as it won't cascade with the multiswitch.

OldBen

Mad Scientist
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks Robbo.

So if Multiswitch is diseqc 2.0 I need a diseqc 1.1 4 way for example to cascade then.