0.3db Universal LNB
Moteck Digipower Motor
My Location
Totnes, Devon 50.4320N, 3.6690W
does the following sound right ?

motor elevation = 39.5
dish elevation = 28.1

don't understand why the motor and dish have to be elevated

I originally set the motor to my latitude which is 50.5 which I've been told was way to high.

My question is that with a combined motor and dish elevation of 67.6 I'm going to be pointing even higher.

Anyone know where I can buy some brain cells preferably with discounts for buying in bulk ?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The motor swings the same arc whichever elevation it is set at. By lowering or raising the dish (declination) it will make the arc deeper or more shallow.

PS. I worked out your dish declination setting at roughly 22.7 degrees

Being 32.7 (elevation of 4W satellite) - (60 - 50 (lattitude)) = 22.7 (setting on dish)

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Your dish will not be elevated at 67.6 degrees

The motor elevation figure of 39.5 is a number that you set your motor to so that the dish can track the arc above the equator where the satellites are located. This figure differs from place to place. You will notice that the dish mounting pole on the motor is not leaning back at 39.6 degrees.
As Rolfw states, the elevation of the bird from your location is 32.7 degrees. If you had a centre fed dish on a fixed pole, you would have to tilt back the dish by this amount. But you have an offset dish, the offset has to be deducted from the look angle, hence Rolfw's number of "whatever".
The sun in a few weeks will be passing directly behind the satellites as it tracks across the sky so the satellite signals will be coming from points slightly lower than where the sun is at the moment, nothing like 67.6 degrees above the horizon.
Set your receiver to one of the frequencies I mentioned in an earlier post on Amos 2 at 4west. Point your dish, at about 1/4 past 1pm (BST) at the sun and slowly lower your dish until you get a reading on your receiver. Then do your fine tuning az and el, clamp up bolts. Set your receiver to steer to 30 west and 28 east you should then be on the arc. That is "if" your mounting pole is dead plumb in all directions:D
Regards AF