Dish Installation on Wooden Post?

cia.kelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish: ASC Signal "Channel Master" 120 cm.
LNB: Invacom QDF-031 with Channel Master feed horn.
Box: Humax Foxsat-HD
My Location
Stockholm
Hi All

I am surveying possible sites at my home for my Channel Master 1.2 dish.

The Dish needs to go the front of the house and I'm wondering if I could set it up in my garden, attached to a wooden garden post.

I am thinking about a 6X6 pressure treated garden post cemented into the ground.

Almost all the installations I have looked have used a metal pole. Is using a wooden post a big "No No"?

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
hi -
i,v tried this -- it was solid enough in the vertical --although the post was kept quite short
but in the wind the dish wobbled form side to side quite a bit due to a sort of twisting/flexing action of the wood --
if its in a exposed place it could give stability problems --
sheltered it might be ok
a strong metal tube is much better

regards nelson.b.

Chris76

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ duo with a 300gb hdd also dm500 and tecnomate 5200 with a 1m and 1.1m motorized dishes and minidish fixed to 28.2
My Location
Belfast
I would recommend a galvanized 2" steel pole and they are reasonably priced and very stable.Just take time getting which ever you use getting it perfectly plumb.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Its a bit of a waste of time using a wooden post in my opinion, as the most time consuming part of the job is digging the hole. You'd be saving a little bit of money on the pole and that's it.

Plus you'll have to devise a way of fixing the dish to it, as it needs to be attached to a metal pole, so that you can adjust the azimuth.

At least a 3 inch diameter pole would be ideal.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ive used wooden posts for years:

http://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/...farm-renovations-new-1m-dish-added-setup.html

Ive gone up to 1m Orbitals on them (1 steel, 1 aluminium)

I had no end of problems with the older and heavy steel dish - the post kept moving in the winter storms. Eventually I found a long steel pole, slipped it through the loose u bolts and belted it into the ground with a sledgehammer to take some of the weight. Then tightened the u bolts up properly :D

Its been fine since. :D

BTW none of my posts are concreted in - they are just knocked in with the sledgehammer. A complete bodge job, but it works ok most of the time as my garden is reasonably sheltered.. I started these sorts of dish mounts off about 4-5 years ago and they have been fine.

FWIW personally I dont think Id try this with anything heavier than a 1m steel orbital dish.

Sandybob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 Channel Master and polar mount, 1.2 Gibertini, 1m Orbital, SG2100A, tm-5400, tm-600 linux, manhattan xt-cm, v-box III, and lots of other stuff in the attic!
My Location
uk
The channel master 1.2 and mount is a very heavy setup and really needs a 3" steel pole to fit the az/el mount or polar mount as they both fit on the top of the pole, if using a jaeger 1224 motor you may be able to get away with a slightly smaller pole, but I think it would still have to be steel. You could make a 3" ground stand and bolt it to some very heavy pavement slabs or kerb stones if it was in a sheltered location. Easiest method is a steel pole in concrete.

Attachments

• channel master pm.jpg
    channel master pm.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 35
  • channel master pm1.jpg
    channel master pm1.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
  • channel master pm2.jpg
    channel master pm2.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 41

headman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2 dish and hoping to get a motor installled on it
My Location
Ireland
what about a tree

lol

Attachments

• tree.jpg
    tree.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 45

cia.kelly

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dish: ASC Signal "Channel Master" 120 cm.
LNB: Invacom QDF-031 with Channel Master feed horn.
Box: Humax Foxsat-HD
My Location
Stockholm
After talking to "The Government" it has now been decided that she doesn't want it in the garden and it is now to go on the side of the house :confused