Dish Size Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Certainly got to be in with a fighting chance, certainly more than with the 85cm.

rolf

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 13-Dec-01 AT 08:38 PM (GMT)]Have seen reports recently-:

Verona 90cm ITV fine,

Sondrio(70miles N.E.of Milan) 60cm/.7dbLNB ITV fine.

zansi

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
pj::Bulaggna
Thank you,Monsieur De Lapalisse,but I really wanted to know if 1,50 is enough,or better, if a much cheaper 1,20 could solve my problems, becouse I have to order it,and do the job by myself: I don't know any Italian tecnician who could come to my house with 2 or 3 dishes of different size and try wich is better..They are only able to install the standard size dish for tele+ at the best ..Satellite enthusiasts are a too limited number here to be cared for. Bye..:-)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry can't help more, you may find more information in the news group it.hobby.satellite-tv or it.hobby.satellite-tv.digitale .

The above are Italian NGs and you may find someone on there with a similar setup. The Amstrad you are using is probably not the best tuner for the job as I'm not sure how well the tuner copes with fringe signals.

rolf

barney

Reaction score
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 18-Dec-01 AT 05:02 PM (GMT) by zansi (moderator)]Ciao. ho letto il tuo post.Anch'io ho gli stessi problemi.

Se vuoi puoi contattarmi via email e spiegarmi i tuoi problemi
Speriamo di risolverli entrambi.
Ciao

PLEASE POST IN ENGLISH FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE 99.9% OF USERS TO WHOM IT IS THEIR PRIMARY LANGUAGE

barney

Reaction score
Sorry. but i don't speak very well in english.
Dear lambertini , i'm in abruzzo and with a 120/240cm no signal for astra 2d. In the morning i lose astra 2a north beam.
Don't change the lnb, you try a 120cm dish and i think you can risolve your problem.On another forum i read that is possible received astra 2d in your city.
Ps: i'm looking for a 300 cm, because i wont to see ITV ecc...
Bye

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Your English looks good to me Barney. :) Would put some native speakers to shame.

Hopefully your information will help out Ugania with his search for ITV.

All the best.

Rolf

barney

Reaction score
thank you ROLF
mY Wife is a Brit.
Yes the message is for Lambertini
Ciao

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
Hi!I'm the bloke from Bologna,I bought a 1,25 m dish and solved partially my reception problems about astra 2d.. I receive most of the time ITV Hallmark,Disney,but sometimes all becomes a modern art picture...you know what I mean...I conrolled the power of every transponder ..the best are 20% strenght and 20% quality the worse are 20% stenght 10% quality . When even Itv becomes weak I change ITV Yorkshire that is at my n.103 for Itv London or Whales who are stronger for us.The weakest of all channels is itv2 that is pop art all the time...But I don't understand why 2 days ago,under heavy snow,everything was perfect,even the open-air concert on Itv2. But I will try again and again to get the perfect signal..it's a challenge.. but maybe 1.50 m. was better..(but not available at the moment) (I still have my first 1.80 dish in garage,but is a cassagrain with the mini-dish in the middle and I don't know where to put the different kind of lnb in use today..)I did it without instruments,only with the receiver on the basement that I cotrol from the terrace on the roofs with the very useful eye link on a small tv (and another cable of corse).With the remote control I can conrol all the menus..even manual setting..Bye L.L.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
If my memory serves me well, the 1.8 Cassegrain is a superb dish, I'm sure you must be able to get a universal to fit. Does it take a C120 type LNB?

Rolf

ugania

Reaction score
My Location
Thanks,for your attention,the 1,80 m.cassagrain was the dish of my first satellite system,a quite expensive Salora mark 2 if I remember well,that I bought in march 1986,and gave me a lot of satisfaction,but such a big and heavy dish created some problems with the neighbors ,and more recently some cracks on the terrace under the very heavy metal tripod who supported the dish,brought me to the decision to disassemble the lot and put there instead a couple of deckchairs and take a great deal of sunbathing from march until october and be satisfied with a couple of smaller dishes ...until astra d2.But I will try again,to improve the signal with a perfect alignment and maybe a good trim to a tall tree that could be responsible for a loss of a few db..By the way ,the transponders on astra d2 are a bit different..the transponder for itv for the south region ,is stronger than that intended for the north and unfortunately itv2 is on the last one.Bye..Thank you again..L.L.(ugania)..P.S.Do you know anybody who has got the same wacky (small) problem I got ? After 3 or 4 years of analogic Sky a year ago I got Sky digital with regular amstrad and card,but from the moment that appeared E4 channel,when I watch this particolar channel even for a few seconds, the receiver freezes and the only sistem to mend it is to unplug it from the mains, replug it, then wait a few minutes, press Sky on the remote for Sky welcome . Finish.

O

Ostju

A couple of months ago, someone asked about reception in Malta.
I'm in Malta. My setup is as follows:

1.2m triax - 0.5db LNB - Pace 2200

Tuned up with a Nokia 9800 for per-channel db level readings. Results are:

(20.0 dbsnr= 100% signal level)
(threshold for stable picture is about 5.5 dbsnr)

South Beam approx 16
North Beam approx 4.5
Astra 2D <1

After plugging in the Skybox, results are predictable:
South Beam OK
North Beam "There are technical problems with this channel"
2D "No satellite signal ... "

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
What's the make and model of box Ostju, just for the ecord :)

Rolf

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-Feb-02 AT 10:20 AM (GMT)]Sorry Ostju, after asking I re-read your post and saw that you'd already given the information, my apologies. :(

Thanks for the contribution.

Rolf

O

Ostju

Me again.
After spending a while fiddling with my satellite dish I discovered that by rotating the LNB 20 degrees clockwise (facing the dish) in it's holder, I can get a picture from the North beam!!

So scrap the old figures ... here are the new ones:

1.2m dish - 0.5db LNB - Pace 2200 Skybox

South Beam 18.5+
North Beam approx 7.5
Astra 2D <2 (=no picture)

On the Skybox, this translates to:
Signal Strength 80%+
Signal Quality 50%

which means that as long as it doesn't rain (which it rarely does anyway) we can watch both North and South beam channels in Malta :)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that eventually you could even improve on that by swapping your receiver for one of the units with a better out of zone tuner like the Panasonic 30. But considering where you are that's pretty impressive.

Rolf

Status
Not open for further replies.