Dish stickers? Paint?

Captain Jack

Модератор
Staff member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
11,216
Reaction score
7,464
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi,

In a month's time, I will be installing one of my 1.2m Channel Master dishes. As it will be visible to immediate neighbours, I would like to disguise the front of it. The back will be covered by the trees and painted green to blend in - though it will be more visible when the leaves falls off in the winter. I've attached a picture of the dish site.

The front of the dish is currently white - just as it came from the factory. I could just paint it green but would like maybe some sort of picture on the front. I don't have the skills to paint the dish so was thinking of some green/flowery stickers/decals?

Any ideas?

CJ
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20130522_114208.jpg
    IMG_20130522_114208.jpg
    223 KB · Views: 114

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
779
Points
113
Location
46.1N 6.4E
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Captain Jack said:
In a month's time, I will be installing one of my 1.2m Channel Master dishes. As it will be visible to immediate neighbours, I would like to disguise the front of it. The back will be covered by the trees and painted green to blend in - though it will be more visible when the leaves falls off in the winter. I've attached a picture of the dish site.

The front of the dish is currently white - just as it came from the factory. I could just paint it green but would like maybe some sort of picture on the front. I don't have the skills to paint the dish so was thinking of some green/flowery stickers/decals?
DPM? :)
 

pgh13

Specialist Contributor
Joined
Apr 5, 2005
Messages
1,679
Reaction score
409
Points
83
Age
69
My Satellite Setup
XTrend ET8000, Dr HD 15, PC/twinhan combination. 80cm dish. GBPVR with 2 DTTV cards +hauppauge Media MVP +Raspberry Pi running XBMC
My Location
Midlands UK
Could you maybe adapt wheelie bin stickers? e.g. Fleabay 270986723089

Your need to get creative with the scissors to fit the dish but this pattern is sufficiently random so probably wouldn't notice
 

Captain Jack

Модератор
Staff member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
11,216
Reaction score
7,464
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
hairybadger said:
Uhh...... DPM?

pgh13 said:
Could you maybe adapt wheelie bin stickers? e.g. Fleabay 270986723089

Your need to get creative with the scissors to fit the dish but this pattern is sufficiently random so probably wouldn't notice
Brilliant! More or less what I am looking for :)
 

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
5,141
Reaction score
5,485
Points
113
Age
55
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I am such artist that cam paint only straight lines :-crying . But there are some people who can make nice aerographed pictures, they only need some ideas from you. Like, I need nice bush painted, or Volkswagen Beetle running at 100 miles per hour etc. Of course that will cost you some $$.
Another option (however I did not see it used) is to cover whole antenna with some kind of shed made of material which lets radio-waves come without loss.
 

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Staff member
Joined
Dec 13, 2008
Messages
8,672
Reaction score
3,309
Points
113
Age
70
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
DPM is an abbreviation for Disruptive Pattern Material.....or camouflage.......
 

Captain Jack

Модератор
Staff member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
11,216
Reaction score
7,464
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Ah... the problem with DPM is that once it gets wet (and it will in England) it will reduce the signal due to water by quite a margin.

Building a plastic shed around the dish is an idea but don't think I'd need to camouflage it THAT much.
 

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Joined
Jul 20, 2012
Messages
1,370
Reaction score
779
Points
113
Location
46.1N 6.4E
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Captain Jack said:
Ah... the problem with DPM is that once it gets wet (and it will in England) it will reduce the signal due to water by quite a margin.

Building a plastic shed around the dish is an idea but don't think I'd need to camouflage it THAT much.
:) I meant the pattern rather than the material. In theory: nearly invisible to the human eye, at least in low light conditions. In practice: your neighbours will think you've set up some form of early-warning system in your garden and will probably call the council, the papers and the MOD to complain....
 

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Jan 7, 2009
Messages
5,141
Reaction score
5,485
Points
113
Age
55
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
When you paint, be careful in choosing paint, mainly because of reflections to sun-light, that can burn your LNB. At least sandpaper surface after painting to make it mated.
 

Captain Jack

Модератор
Staff member
Joined
Oct 21, 2006
Messages
11,216
Reaction score
7,464
Points
113
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
hairybadger said:
:) I meant the pattern rather than the material. In theory: nearly invisible to the human eye, at least in low light conditions. In practice: your neighbours will think you've set up some form of early-warning system in your garden and will probably call the council, the papers and the MOD to complain....
Hah - in theory it will only be really visible to two houses. Hopefully they aren't arseholes...

RimaNTSS said:
When you paint, be careful in choosing paint, mainly because of reflections to sun-light, that can burn your LNB. At least sandpaper surface after painting to make it mated.
The darker, the better I guess?
 

Juan69

Regular Member
Joined
Mar 16, 2012
Messages
321
Reaction score
15
Points
18
Age
73
My Satellite Setup
Ariva, Samsung and Comag PVR 2 100CL
3 dishes, 80cm, 100cm, 140cm
My Location
Murcia - Costa Blanca.
Never mind the dish. Nice garden ! I miss lawns !
 
Top