BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL. O-Ha

If my wife started complaining about the lack of channels, I'd keep my satellite setup as it is, and change the wife!

Seriously, whatever you do I'd keep the $ky setup as it is with the card inserted (it will revert to an FTV setup by default) and the existing dish connected. That way you'll always have the basic channels available.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
BGonaSTICK said:
If my wife started complaining about the lack of channels, I'd keep my satellite setup as it is, and change the wife!

Yes, but you probably didn't sell the kit aquisition to her as a direct replacement for Sky, many people have to their cost. :)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There'll be no dissent in the ranks here. Her indoors is tasked with holding the dish still until the footy's finished most nights, so there's no time for her to watch anything anyway... ;)

LOL, my toes are curling up at the thought of her reading this. I'd be wearing the "frying-pan earmuffs" for a week!!!

bigboy9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
sky box - hate it, want a digital system in the uk with NO monthly sub!
Bgonastick,

Firstly, many thanks for such a comprehensive and structured response. Indeed, thanks to all who have so far offered options to consider.

Couple of points;

1. did you mean lyngsat.co.uk ?

- I just get a fairly low quality web site via this link. Is the spelling right?

2. Secondly, (please bear with me), why is it that I am being advised to steer clear of more complex receivers? Are they "really" that complex? I consider myself fairly competent in life (but a newbie virgin in the field of sat!) - but does that really mean I have to work my way up? My approach in life has always been "buy the best you can afford" - ultimately it is cheaper in the long run.

Sooo, if I want to buy a great receiver (accepting like you say it may have too many bells and whistles on it short term) which would you advise?

3. Maybe I am missing something, naively - is it that anything above legal FTA is being watched/accessed via only non-legal means or twists etc? If so, then of course I'll take the advice and just get a straight FTA like you recommend. Perhaps, in truthm the reality is that murdock's strnaglehold on our viewing is indeed going to be all-poweful and that I am being too naive thinking I can ditch murdock and go non-sky? I do hope that this is not the case - so much on sky is cr*p in my opinion - their news channel is great, but endless channels full of drivel is not for me.

The only sky channels we watch are CNBC/Bloomberg (sad? - I just like the CNBC team in the uk/usa - they make finance interesting!), sky news, living tv (how embarrassing, but sometimes I accept even i like to watch cr*p!), nationalgeographic, discovery home and leisure/discovery realtime, (I like the house building/self build programming and we used to like high quality health programmes but they have now spiralled into low quality viewing going for mass appeal) - and thats about it - for which I pay £20/month - a lot in return for what i see, don't you think?

Hope I'm not babbling on and that you can see my point.

Cheers!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central

bigboy9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
thanks sir lancelot!

.com works great.

rapido

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
60cm
My Location
Hertfordshire
bigboy9 said:
The only sky channels we watch are CNBC/Bloomberg (sad? - I just like the CNBC team in the uk/usa - they make finance interesting!), sky news, living tv (how embarrassing, but sometimes I accept even i like to watch cr*p!), nationalgeographic, discovery home and leisure/discovery realtime, (I like the house building/self build programming and we used to like high quality health programmes but they have now spiralled into low quality viewing going for mass appeal) - and thats about it - for which I pay £20/month - a lot in return for what i see, don't you think?

Yup a total waste of money really.

CNBC is clear on Astra 1 and Hispasat.
Bloomberg is clear on Hot Bird.
Sky News is clear on Astra 1 (and has no adverts!)

National Geographic and Discovery channels are encrypted in various European packages, but from what I can tell are hacked and often in English, for example, on Sky Italia (Hot Bird).

Of course if you want to keep giving £240 a year to Murdoch, that's totally upto you :-) But I would rather spend that money on some decent equipment (I would suggest get a patched receiver, and put codes in for hacked packages once you get it. This is not illegal!).

Well done for ditching Sky!

-rapido

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
OK, a lot to get stuck into there, but lets give it a go.

Sorry about the bum link. Hope you found it interesting when you got there.

Jumping around your post a bit, firstly, I don't understand your point 3 I'm afraid. Perhaps if the following doesn't answer your question, then you'd like to rephrase it.

FTA is Free to Air. You can legally view these channels anywhere you can physically receive them.

FTV is Free to View. These channels are encrypted and you'll need a $ky card to view them, but you don't need to subscribe. These are the channels you'll get on your existing card once you cancel. Channel 4, Five and ITV are examples. Pull out your 'expired' or FTV card, and you lose the ability to view them. Obviously legal if you have the correct card from $ky.

Encrypted. You will require a subscription, which obviously costs money. Generally speaking, viewing anything other than a $ky subscription in the UK is probably illegal as $ky has an exclusivie deal and subscriptions aimed at other countries are NOT supposed to be sold to UK residents.

The other way to watch encrypted channels is to use one or more of the various techniques to open them illegally. Now you are into a very time consuming hobby, and no longer just watching TV.

Rolfw is dead right. Viewing channels this way is not at all reliable and is not for those that want a 1:1 replacement for $ky. The channel line up often won't hold a candle to $ky UK most of the time, and the reliability is non-existant. It's just pot luck.

Tackling your last point, "endless channels full of drivel is not for me" might indicate that non-$ky satellite viewing is not for you, mainly for the reasons above. The better channels either cost a lot more on subscription, or are harder to open illegally. "I pay £20/month - a lot in return for what i see" - yes I can relate to that, and that is why I refuse to pay. The alternative however is the hobby I'm now involved in and not just 'switching providers' like you would with your ISP for example.

$ky DOES have a stranglehold in this country. Yes they are all-powerful, and yes, in all probability they are reading this thread.

You might find that much of the programming you like can be had on Top-up TV. Check it out if you havn't already. You could then supplement that with a good FTA sat system.

Finally, your "best you can buy" point. I can agree with the principal, but you need to understand the difference between the Dreambox and other STB satellite receivers. It's really dificult for us to assess your level of competance not knowing anything about you so forgive us that, but it's more akin to a Linux computer than a satellite receiver. In fact, the former is exactly what it is.

That's what makes it so flexible and so powerful. Only for dedicated folks involved in this very time consuming hobby, it requires much maintenance in terms of file updates from your computer network etc. Endless hours trawling the Internet for patches and how-to's etc.

Many folks who own them are more interested in computing than satellite viewing (myself included). I spend far more time fixing it and talking about it than watching it. It's aimed squarely at the illegal encryption cracking brigade.

Hope this helps.

bigboy9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hi all,

So, here I am, now ordering my system:

I am being told 80cm dish hung off side of house will be fine.

My concerns are is this going to pick up the signals? I live in the UK level with nottingham on the map - but well east of it.

Secondly, I am worried that the thing will "rip off the wall" in high winds!

OK, it may sound stupid but how am I supposed to know on these things - please forgive my ignorance on an area that I freely admit I know so little.

1 - 80cm mesh dish/0.3db L.n.b
1 - GBsat 120 diseqc motor
1 - 350mm wall bracket
1 - technomate 1500 ci satellite receiver
1 - installation

does this set up sound ok? Any major concerns? Will this in the future allow high definition TV, or will that mean another box at some stage?

optional extra"s;
Dragon cam,
programmer,
adult cards,
manhattan 350 satellite receiver(has hard drive option for recording)
funke 1 - meter dish (for optimum signal reception)

will i need any of these extras?

what is the dragon thing? It sounds like something from the far east! (LOL!)

programmer?

I am not wanting mature content, so can't see the need for adult cards - if the mature content is anything like those dreadful sky mature content channels I must be seen as very conservative straight male when I say I find them degrading of women.

A manhatten with hard drive? Again why bother? I can't think of the need to hard drive programmes - no, simply not needed for me.

1 mtr funke dish - sounds dreadful - a damned great 1 mtre lump of grey metal hung off the side of my house - something to avoid if possible.

I suppose the problem for me is not knowing how many sats are going to be weak or out of reach if i select an 80cm as opposed to a 1m dish.

At the end of the day what I want to achieve is:

1. Remove the sky dish and return the sky box to murdock with a get well soon card.
2. Stop all payments to sky.
3. Watch via inbuilt freeview the digital channels in the uk on my LCD TV - Panasonic - its brilliant pic quality. Love it.
4. Watch CNBC on the motorised sat system.
5. Own a sat system that I can easily search for and access english speaking programmes that are not scrambled.
6. I have no idea if unscrambling english programmes is possible or legal - presumably this is what the programmers are for?

Given that I have a sky card, is there any way that I can somehow still make use of this sky card but without keeping the sky box and sky dish - may be useful for some free channels without subscription etc - just a thought.

As always, many thanks to all the enthusiasts on this forum.

Cheers!

BB9

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
The technomate is a good choice and is 'patchable' with easily available software so some of the scrambled channels will be available to you if you wish.

Don't worry about the Dragon or programmer for the moment, until you find something you want to watch and are unable to. Get the 'feel' for the setup and have a good look around the sats first.

Dish sizes - the 1m is better for obvious reasons but a good compromise would be a solid 80cm dish as solid dishes out perform their tea bag like bretheren every time and you could always spray it with matt paint to minimise visual impact.

Hope this makes sense and is of some benefit. :)

Have a think and let us know before you part with the money if poss.

L.

bigboy9

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Lancelot said:
Dish sizes - the 1m is better for obvious reasons but a good compromise would be a solid 80cm dish as solid dishes out perform their tea bag like bretheren every time and you could always spray it with matt paint to minimise visual impact.

Dear Lancelot,

Firstly, the basic practical issue I mentioned:

The dish ripping off the wall in high winds.

OK, I must sound parnoid, but I'm old enough to remember Michael Fish's famous weather forecast "apparently someone has telephoned the BBC........I can asure you.....etc".

Within hours, of course, half the trees in the south of England were flattened!

OK, I am talking high winds - but surely now is the time for me to address this issue and not at 3am on a winter night when I am sh*tting myself that my dish has just hurled itself at the neigbours and decapitated them on their return from a family christening!

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers!