DM500 CIFS Record

rparkera

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Metronic motor, Zone 2 dish and Touchbox3 receiver; DM500S; motorised SS2; Maplin satellite suitcase for travels
My Location
S W Wales
So many of us seem to have had problems with recording to a CIFS mount that I thought I'd add my 2p worth after spending days getting it to work. Here's what succeeded for me (using the latest Gemini maxvar):

1. use the guides and FAQ here - they do tell it right and I'm grateful for them
2. Windows XP pro worked too in the end - no issue with it
3. Zone Alarm (free) made no difference whether on or off - but I did set up the DB as a trusted IP address. It may be better to set it up as a trusted range if using DHCP e.g. 192.168.0.*
4. after setting up a new user (dream) you do need to restart the PC for it to be completed and usable
5. best if the new /dreambox folder is at the root i.e. c:/dreambox
6. no need for a folder or sub folder called /hdd as has been suggested in one or two places
7. you do need to share and give full permissions to /dreambox but not to the sub folder /movie (because it inherits them from /dreambox)
8. works with all recordings; it also freed up VLC and web-x-tv which I had previously failed to get working (though they'd worked OK on a MAC I-book!)
9. if you mount from the DB and it goes wrong (and this happened a lot for me :confused ) then you do need to change the folder name on the PC and in the mounting instructions - unmount the unsuccessful folder and then mount the folder with the new name (each time I got it wrong I created a new folder e.g. /dreambox2 and went over the whole process again)
10 I think that point 9 was what resolved for me the issues that XP Pro possibly create. Maybe the unsuccessful mount continues to exist somewhere between Linux on the DB and WinXP Pro on the PC

These worked for me - best of luck guys! May work on other systems and DB's too - if you are desperate enough to need to try

rparkera

anwarsha

Reaction score
Thanks that is very useful I try , My problem is when to try to mount I get a error saying IP of DM is busy????