DM500 Sky EPG Gemini Enigma 1

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
@fintannl
The error sems to indicate that your location for SQLLite database is not found. I am not sure whether it tries to access the download site before it hits that error or after, so I would suggest you sort out each error in turn - try reinstalling/setting up the EPG again (it will just overwrite the existing files) and then run the retrieval by hand again.

@kalehrl
The best EPG, built into the image for Enigma1, I found is OpenPli. See the thread under DM600 about OpenPli. It gives many other benefits and is TRULY opensource.

kalehrl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500+;
Echostar 770 (Strong 6155);
90cm Triax dish;
Strong DM2100 diseqc motor.
My Location
Serbia
I am used to Gemini but I may soon change my image to another one because Gemini started making some weird choices - using old CVS instead of the latest one on their 4.7 enigma1 images.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
T90 Dish and Smart 60cm Dish @28.2E
Receivers:Dm800s,Dm600s,Dm500s,
Ferguson Ariva 120,Opticum x403p,Tm 500.
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
I'm running SQlite on Jade 3 on a 500s.
I have the epg stored on an externally mounted hardrive on my pc.
I have found it to be hit and miss on the 500s.
Firstly the 500s doesnt have enough memory to handle a large epg database.
I limit the epg to 1 days listings,thats ~2Mb ,any more and the box freezes up .
I have mapped all the channels correctly and enabled Cron but I find that the listings dont update very efficiently each day.
Sometimes it may only update a few channels .
After a few days the database file can become huge >10Mb ,so I have to delete it .
I tried using the rytec method but I couldnt get it to map the channels correctly.
In summary I dont believe the 500s has enough memory to run Sqlite efficiently.
I am planning on getting a 600s soon so as its extra memory should make the difference.
Hope this helps.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Single Sat Dish and DM800
My Location
Ireland
Shumifan, I am at a loss. I have followed all instructions to set up a network mount. I simply don't understand what to do next. I have deleted B16MCC bouquets and installed the Rytec bouquets, I have followed the Rytes instruction bit by bit but the retrieve does nothing. A really daft question. Assuming I get this to work must I always have my local share powered on for the dreambox to have its EPG. That in itself is a total pain. I don't mind retrieving EPG on a 2/3 day basis but for my DM500 to work with EPG it would be a nightmare having to have the computer powered also to make it to work.

Anyway thats just the stupid question. I still need to get this darn download to work. And thats the critical issue for me.

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xDM7025(DVB-S tuner), DM600SPVR, DM800S, DM500S HD, Triax 90cm with MultiBracket 4 sats.
My Location
Europe
The PC will always have to be available if you want to access the EPG. Referring to Fano's comments, it seems like DM500 has a problem handling EPG data.
Fintanll you have to run the EPG update from telnet again to see what is the problem.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Ok, I can see where it is failing. In the e1_UK.sh file there is a variable $epg which is set from /var/lib/sqlite/epg.db. The check on thia variable fails and I get databse not found. It never even makes it to requesting data from xmltvepg. If I look at my system I see that I have the /var/lib/sqlite/ directory does not exist. Withing this directory there should be a file called epg.db. Obviously this does not exist. So why did this happen. Is the SQLite plugin supposed to set up this directory and file structure? Anyway a little closer to getting this to work. Do you have a contents and files for the SQlite directory from your own system available so I can load these or are they available in a manual plugin of the SQLite system

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
I haven't given up at this and have tried many crazy things. However finally I figured the reason the download failed was because while I did open up a share drive I did not allow anyone to write into the drive. Stupid but hey it's always easy when you work it out. So now the last and daftest question of all. Now that I have these files on my share how do I ask the dreambox to refresh the information on its system (while I know its shared I simply need to know how to refresh the Dreambox EPG). Thanks for the extended patience

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Press the yellow button on the remote and then do EPG setup where you can enable auto update and how often. Once there you can also run a manual retrieve to see if it works.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Shumifan, finally all works just great. More stupidity. I hadn't mapped the channels (in my defence it did say in the rytec guide that the channels would be automapped). All works perfectly. The next part of my project should be interesting. I will be putting the mount on a USB stick connected to my DM800 and the EPGdata will be read from there. I'm then planning to setup the external boxes to read the EPG from the DM800. Now this could cause major problems I guess if I'm going to be passing cs data on the same broadband uplink at the same time. I only have supposedly 512k uplink so I'll see if I'm getting a lot of picture freezing or not. Anyway thanks for sticking with me on this one and I'll write a final post to this thread in the next while to let the forum know if it is posible to supply EPG to external boxes without impacting cs

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
I tried the Rytec epg on my 500s using Jade 3 and I cant get it to work.
I already have the Sqlite plugin setup for the radiotimes epg and that retrieves correctly.
It doest update very efficiently each day.Sometimes it may only update a few channels .
I downloaded the Rytec plugin (v1.37) via the blue button and installed it correctly .
I tried doing it manually but it didnt work ,kept on saying installed but 0kb used.
It looks like it is installed correctly but when I try to retrieve data nothing happens and it doesnt update the epg via cron correctly.
The hard drive is correctly mounted ;the radio times epg retrieves correctly ,but for some reason I cant get the Rytec epg to work.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Thank god i'm not delusional. I've has massive issues installing manual plugins in PLi images. Only solution is to manually FTP the files into their correct directories. What is it with PLi. Why can people not copy tar.gz files to /tmp/ and install. I thought it was just me. Other than the fact that shumifan was such a help I would have dumped Pli ages ago. drives me nuts

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Hi guys,
It looks like it is a problem with OpenPli on DM500. It all works fine on DM600; I dont know about DM7000. Report it on OpenPli forum.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
I noticed on plinews on my 500s that the software downloads added an updated Rytec server on Feb 5th.
I installed this and it seemed to install correctly .
However when I try to retrieve the channel epg all I get for ukxmltv is a 54k file entitled rytecxmltvuk.gz on my mount.
For some reason I cant get the Rytec plugin to work ,its baffling me.

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Looking at the e1_UK.sh code it would seem that you must have a epg.db file on your mount (just an empty file). Make sure that you have permission to set filetypes on your mount. On Windows XP if you open a folder then select tools at the top of the page, then folder options, then view, and untick hide extensions for unknown file types. Then you can set the filename and filetype

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
fintannl said:
Looking at the e1_UK.sh code it would seem that you must have a epg.db file on your mount (just an empty file). Make sure that you have permission to set filetypes on your mount. On Windows XP if you open a folder then select tools at the top of the page, then folder options, then view, and untick hide extensions for unknown file types. Then you can set the filename and filetype
I have the necessary files on the mount.
It works fine for the radiotimes epg ,builds an epg of ~2.2Mb for 1 days listings for ~200 channels.
The files I have are epg.dat; epg.dat.md5; private_epg.dat; private_epg.dat.md5 and epg.db.
The problem is that every day it updates via cron ,the database increases by 2.2Mb.
It will eventually get too big and slow the receiver down drastically.
I have given up on the Rytec epg,it just refuses to work correctly.
It builds an epg.db of ~300kb but it doesnt seem to have any real data.
Does anyone else have the radio times epg running on a 500s and how do ye find it ?

fintannl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Ireland
Hmmmm, have to admit not suffering from same issue. Since I have had probably every issue associated could you please start from the start. "I have given up on the Rytec epg,it just refuses to work correctly' could you do me a bit of a favour and follow Shumifans advice exactly and then let us know the results. W are here to help. You can quit but to be honest I spent weeks at this before I got it right and as Shumifan did say it was worth the effort (it is a quality EPG). Your choice but likely it will take time to solve. Thats the nature of any dreambox

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
fintannl said:
Since I have had probably every issue associated could you please start from the start. "I have given up on the Rytec epg,it just refuses to work correctly' could you do me a bit of a favour and follow Shumifans advice exactly and then let us know the results.

Ok,I'll go through it step by step.
I have had EPG Sqlite plugin working for the last few months.
I have a pc mounted hard drive which works correctly,its mounted as media/hdd.
Up until now have been using the radiotimes epg via sqlite .
It retrieves correctly via the yellow button and I have it update via cron each day.
It works well for the first few days but then the epg.db file gets too large and I have to delete it and start again.
I have about 200 channels mapped on 28.2
I decided I would try the Rytec epg to see if it would nt have these issues.
I tried a manual install but that didnt work.
I then installed the Rytec plugin via the Downloads section,v1.37.
That installed correctly.
I tried a retrieve on Ukxmltv via the yellow button but it stopped straight away and built a 54 byte file rytecxmltvuk.gz on the mount.
I then typed /var/bin/e1_UK.sh into telnet
It says

The rytecxmltvuk.gz file disappears after the command
If I run the command again I get this response

and the 54 byte rytecxmltvuk.gz file reappears.
How big should this rytecxmltvuk.gz file be,is it a fixed size or does it vary.
I presume the data is stored in the epg.db file like the radio times epg .
Hopefully this info will give more insight into the issue I'm having
Thanks

shumifan50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Europe
Below is for OpenPli - sorry I only spotted it was for Gemini after I had typed the reply.

From the first screen it is seems that it did not manage to download the critical file rytecxmltvuk.gz from xmltvepg.be. It looks like you did not set up which epg you want (wget shows no file):
1. Press the yellow button, then select which EPG you want
2. Press green (SAVE).
3. Yellow again
4. Now try manual download (yellow). This runs for quite a while and dont believe the progress bar, it is not updated; just wait for about 30 minutes.
5. If you get what you want enable cron at whatever time you want the update to run.

The second screen shows that you downloaded something, but it was an invalid format zip file (bad magic number). This could have been caused by a bad download which should be fixed by retrying the download.
You can download the epg file (for testing) by going: _http://www.xmltvepg.be/rytecxmltvuk.gz and it should try to download the file. Save it and open with winrar or similar and see if it unzips OK. If this works, try the dreambox again. This looks like a network problem of some sort. The file should be about 1.1MB.

Fano

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Satlink 6906 meter
My Location
Ireland
I downloaded the rytecxmltvuk.gz and put it in the required folder.
I tried a retrieve via the yellow button but it deleted the 1.1Mb file and replaced it with the 54 byte file.
I gave up on the Rytec epg and have gone back to the radio times epg.
I have ~170 channels mapped and its working perfectly now.
It updated correctly via Cron the last few days too ,unlike before where it had issues.epg.dat is staying small too .
I'm going to stick with it .

kalehrl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500+;
Echostar 770 (Strong 6155);
90cm Triax dish;
Strong DM2100 diseqc motor.
My Location
Serbia
I posted this question on open pli forum in rytec section but nobody seems to take any notice of it:

hi,

I'm having trouble getting EPG via rytec xmltv importer. I did everything according to the tutorial on rytec.be.

I mounted Epg folder on my ubuntu pc using CIFS. Then I went to system - setup - EPG and chose SQLite database and location on hard disk.

Then I installed SQLite EPG Import plugin 1.2 and XmltvEPGImport Rytec.

Then I pressed yellow button and went to Update EPG Channel references and chose packages I wanted.

After that I pressed yellow and chose Dreambox EPG config. I chose packages and pressed retrieve button and I can see that databases are successfully created in Epg folder on my pc. There I have rytecxmltvuk, rytecxmltvskyit, rytecxmltvcsat, rytecxmltvbenl all around 10 MB in size.

When I press red button to get EPG on for example sky uk or csat I get just now/next.

What am I doing wrong?

Please help me

Could you please shed some light on it?

Do I have to use external EPG viewer such as MV?