DM800 Recordings Played Elsewhere

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Hi All,

Been out of this game for a looooong while. Currently have a Technomate TM9100S which I am looking to upgrade to a HD box, so looking at the DM800HD SE. I currently ftp recorded files from the internal harddrive of my TM9100S onto a laptop via LAN port and Dreambox Control Centre. They are recorded in .ts. This has served very well although it would benefit from having a faster transfer rate. The transfered files can play on other devices (computer, direct into Smart TV via USB, etc), in mpeg format.

I know that Dreambox's can also provide the same facility; what I want to know is could I transfer HD recordings done on a DM800HD in the same manner so I can play the files on a different machine, i.e. not suffer from being unable to get to the files through digital media encryption or the like. I like to be able to store recordings and watch them at a later date, so this is a must for me. Any info or experience of this that you could share would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance

Bob

andyxxxx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM800HD - Technomate TM600 - Technomate TM500 Super - SkyBox F5 -- Triax TD110 Dish on TM2600 Motor - Zone 1 sky dish
My Location
Newcastle, UK
the .ts that a DM800 records (in SD or HD) is more or less uncompressed so will happily play on another device. I watch my recordings on my laptop regularly without problem.

phazblade

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD + Nabilo Blackhole 0.12 with External 1TB Esata Drive:
Dreambox 800HD Clone + Ferrari Sim
100CM Motorised Dish:
Ubuntu 9.10 Server with Smargo:
My Location
UK, middle-ish
Bob Roberts said:
I like to be able to store recordings and watch them at a later date, so this is a must for me. Any info or experience of this that you could share would be most welcome.

Wot you need my friend is a WD TV Live, there are several versions of this, and a new one just out, and because there is a new one out, there are some bargains to be had on Auction Sites for the Older 2nd user units.

Basically the WD TV Live is a Network Player, HD, Component or Composite, with Optical Out for Dolby. You can add External USB for Local Storage if you have Movies you wanna backup.

This thing will find your Media Servers, or in the case of a DM with a Hard Drive a Network Share, you can navigate into the Movies Folder (or wherever) hit play and off you go.

The world of Media Streaming is a bit like the World Of Satellite Tuners, lots of Gear out there, Firmware Updates, HomeBrew, Linux and Options Galore, and its all Plug and Pray .......... :)

But for the stuff you bring down from the Satellites, using Media Streaming gets it in the correct Room, when you choose to watch it.

Another hobby to run alongside Satellites ..... hours of fun

Bob Roberts

Reaction score
Been at work so apologies in delayed reply.

Hi andyxxxx,
Thanks for your reply; that's good to know. I was fearful that I may not be able to access a HD recording on another device. I have a Samsung TV that can record to a plugged in USB device, however the recordings are embedded in Samsungs own format. I can access the recordings on a laptop through Linux, but cannot as yet play them, real pain.

Hi phazblade,
Thanks for the info, I will look into this. I must say though that the main reason why I transfer/edit down recordings is (like you) to watch them on a lappy. I work shifts (days, nights, weekends) and can sometimes catch up on something recorded at work if all is quiet, by plugging into an appropriate screen. I have a blu-ray player at home that is networkable and can take USB inputs; this handles everything with ease. My tv is the same. Therefore the WD Live would not (I think) realistically offer any more than I already have and obviously wouldn't be any good while I am at work, however it is good info so thank you for that.

Can anyone offer any advice on DM800HD SE and a chinese? copy, apart from the obvious that a copy is not a real Dreambox. Are the copies any good? do they have the same functionality?

Kind regards

Bob