DM800 & Synology NAS for recording and timeshifting

xavk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dishes:
Triax110 fixed to 5,9,13,16,19. Sky mini dish with Octo LNB. Triax88 on TM2200 rotor with quad LNB
Receivers:
Dm800 (5,9,13,16,19,28+rotor), TM500, TM600, DM500 (all 13,19,28+rotor)
My Location
East London
Guys,

I just spent most of the day working to get Recording and Timeshiftng working on my DM800 and my NAS using an NFS network share. I dont have much linux experience but I managed to work it out by piecing together a variety of sources so I thought I would sumarise my findings below in case it helps someone else in future.

Note that I am using the latest Nabilosat Image (0.12) and a Synology DS409 but I suspect the principals will be similar for other NASes / images too.

Part 1 - On Nas:

• Create a new account for the DM800
  • Enable NFS
  • Create a Shared Folder (I called mine Dreambox). Within this shared folder, create an additional folder called HDD and then a subfolder Movies ie Dreambox/Hdd/Movies

Part 2 - On the DM800
  1. Press the Menu button and the browse to Setup, System, Network, Network Browser and then select the appropriate NFS Share (in my case /volume1/dreambox), then ensure that HDD replacement is selected as Yes and that the IP address is correct. My mount options were rw,nolock (default and I did not change it). Click OK to mount (dont forget to add the password as needed).
  2. Go back to TV viewing screen and press the blue button twice to get to the Settings menu and go to the Black Hole Mount Wizard. Select the Wizard NFS option. Add the correct IP address for your NAS device and then set the Server Share Directory to /volume1/dreambox/hdd and the Local Directory to /hdd
  3. Not sure if it is relevant but I also have another mount set /volume1/dreambox to /media/net (by doing step 2 again)

I'm pretty sure there are a few unnecessary steps in the above, but doing all of that got both Timeshifting and Recording working for me.

Hope that helps someone and can those that know more about this stuff than I please point out any more efficient methods or highlight anything I may have missed.

Xav