DM8000 Verdict

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
AV: MacMini Plex Media Centre, SpearNZB Episode Downloader, DM500, DM8000
My Location
uk
Ok, I am getting fed up with these boxes now.

If anyone wants an honest verdict on these boxes, here it is and I'll warn you, I'm not one to hold back.

Far too many people for my liking are reluctant to criticize the boxes they own, whether its to save face or an embarrassment thing, I don't know but I'm not one of them.

I have spent around £1500 on linux receivers in the last few months and they are all a pile of crap!

With the DM8000 costing around £1000, I initially felt (like a lot of people) that was taking the p**s, so i opted for one of the next most expensive boxes, the CubeRevo Twin HD (aka IPBox 9000) at around half the DM8000 price. On paper, these boxes have a great specification and indeed produce excellent picture quality when they work.

Unfortunately, the IPBox/CubeRevo have flaky software and poor emulation support as this manufacturer opted for an ST processor set. Hell, the internal card readers can't run a UK NDS card and struggle to run other cards too, so you are forced into a situation of running an external reader or Card Sharing just to get you valid local subscription card working!?!?!

So I tried to perceiver with the CubeRevo for a few months hoping the driver would be fixed to run my genuine local card, hoped for more reliability in other area's too. I could list a load of issues but to cut a long story short, I gave up and decided to cut my losses and go with a genuine Dream Multimedia box.

I had a DM500 which I used to serve up my uk NDS card to the CubeRevo through CS. I only bought that box for that purpose, but whilst I'm at it, I might as well say that although that box worked fine for doing CS, in operation, that box suffered lip sync issues after a period of time, so wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination either!

I have been the (not so) proud owner of a DM8000 for a few weeks now. The software does appear to be a bit more stable on this box but for the money, I am far from happy!

I'll start with a few gripes that are logistical as opposed to issues, at just under £1000, DMM don't even install a £30 DVD drive as standard which quite frankly is appalling!
Whilst we are on the subject of scrimping, DMM have made provision for additional cooling (in the HDD bay) which again they see fit to let the user add on if they see fit!

What has really prompted this rage tonight though is its inability to play media through the media player. I got so annoyed at the Cube Revo because it has lip sync issues with its media player. Tonight, I tried to sit down and watch a movie with the wife. We have waited ages to watch this movie and I made sure it all worked (so I thought) so it wouldn't be ruined.

I had issues getting the subtitles to work but I thought I had nailed that. We don't need subtitles normally, I feel sorry for anyone that does, trying to use these boxes!

This is one of those films where the subtitles only come on when non-english language is being spoken.

It turns out the DM8000 is only capable of playing a movie with subtitles if its all running from the start. If you try to do anything like fast forward or affect the running time of the movie, the subtitles either stop working or become out of sync (pathetic!).

About 25 mins into the movie the box just stopped playing with the strange symbol in the left corner of the screen indicating its busy doing something. After several minutes we had to power the box off as whatever it was doing interfered with the remote operation too.

Having restarted everything, I used the seek function to get back into the film where we previously got to. After 4 mins of watching, the subtitles start but of-course they are running as if the film was only 4 mins in, so we are seeing subtitles for dialog 4 mins into the movie when there shouldn't be any subtitles. This of-course means that when we get to a point where we need the subtitles again, they will be catching up later....OMG!

Anyway, after around another 20-25 mins, the box did exactly the same thing, just decided to stop playing the movie. I can play this and other files on my computer fine before anyone try's to suggest it was a bad file. It seems the media player on the DM8000 is just as bad as the one on the CubeRevo, it fails in different ways, but which ever way you look at it, its useless.

Now that I've got this rant off my chest, I think I need to make plans to get rid of this stuff, its simply not fit for purpose, perhaps I will cool down in the morning, but I really don't want to waste another couple of months playing with this kit only to find its another experience like the CubeRevo, promising the earth but never quite getting there.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Not apparent from your post which type of file you were using.
Was it a recorded movie by the Dreambox or an external DivX movie?
If it is a DivX, then you should use a standalone DVD player instead.
It should give you the ability to turn on or off the subtitles.
What I expect from a satellite receiver is to first do the basic function of opening satellite channels, and not turn it into a media center.
I can understand that you were upset for ruining your evening, but it is really not the Dreambox fault to blame. Just my personal opinion.

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IT: 1 x iMax 27" Quad Core, 2 x iMac 24" (running OSX & OSX Server) 1 x Macbook Air
My Location
uk
It was a DivX file.

The built in media player works to a point, so I think its intention is to do the job I'm expecting of it, if it wasn't , I doubt it would even get close.

I take your point, an external plugin might work better, but it seems daft to to duplicate functionality just to get compatibility.

I can't however subscribe to
HB13DISH said:
What I expect from a satellite receiver is to first do the basic function of opening satellite channels, and not turn it into a media center.
, at around £1000, I certainly do expect the DM8000 to do a whole lot more than a basic satellite receiver costing around £150 to be honest!

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Thanks for your sharing your experience with us.
What you would seem acceptable for a cheapish sat receiver should work almost faultless when you spend a grand on a receiver that has been in development for the last two years...There are lots of issues with other HD receivers, but for that price I would be fuming as well. I am glad I did not get one, it seems the 8000 is not as good as previous DMs were. I am a bit surprised as they always were spot on withtheir hard and software, but.....

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
I posted to the DMM forums and a developer was quite quick to reply, stating the media player was undergoing heavy development at the moment, so at least that sounds promising.

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skydigibox, DM8000, DM800, SkyStar2 CI
My Location
UK
Are you using BH v1.0 media player because I thinks there are problems with it not playing different types of files. Audio cds and mp3 files are two that I know of. I went back to v 0.9 and it plays them ok but I have no experience with playing Divx files. I only started using satellite last Sept. with the start of free to air HD TV in the UK because where I live there is no cable so the options were Sky or Freesat.

I agree with everything you say about the Cuberevo/IPBox I don't think that it is fit for purpose and I am pursuing the vendor and my credit card company, with the help of Trading Standards, for a full refund having bought one last Sept. The box was faulty from the start and even if the hardware was 100% the software is poor and support from the manufacturer is very poor. It died in May and I have been unable to use it since then.

So I bought the DM8000 in March and it would appear to be capable of doing many things but there is a lot to learn. It is not problem free and I'm having problems watching recordings made on ITV HD and even the IPBox could manage that when it was working. I can watch the files on my computer in windows xp using media player with Elecard Codec SDK G4 1.2.1.90504 Eval, having tfp'd the file over, so I assume there is a codec that will fix it.

I do empathise with your frustration because I have spent days trying to get things to work. But having the DM means I can watch and record all the fta HD channels on one box (including Sky for a £20 one off payment) which also recordes and plays DVDs. It also plays CDs, mp3 files and much more. My wife hated the IPBox but loves the DM and says it's worth the money!!!

If you want to reject the goods and get your money back I should sart now because I've been at it months, I'm with the Financial Sevices Ombudsman at present but "Rome wasn't built in a day".

Best wishes,
meagain123

healeydave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
uk
Hi Meagain123,
You make some interesting points. I don't feel I have it in me to pursuit the seller of the DGS box, I have it up for sale at the moment.

For me, from a DVR point of view, no box and no firmware comes close to a Tivo. Having seen what is considered to be the best with the DM8000 and Enigma 2, its a million miles off too unfortunately!

The family would get rid of me before they would let me get rid of the Tivo, this is partly the reason why I got the DM8000. Many people including the firmware developers have never seen or heard to Tivo. It was too early for its time in the UK (2001) and poor marketing meant they never released another box so we are stuck on SD still. However, the DVR functionality is so much better than anything else (including sky+, incidentally Tivo is what Sky copied, well just a few of Tivo's functions), so sticking with SD still at the moment is a small price to pay. The simultaneous output on the DM8000 enables me to watch live stuff in HD (which is all i'm really interested in as sport is the best stuff in HD in my opinion and I only watch that live), whilst the Tivo can still do all the clever EPG stuff and recording through the Scart.

If Tivo ever come back and release another box in the UK (HD of-course), the DM8000 will be re-boxed and on sale quicker before the fan has even stopped spinning!!

How many FTA HD channels are there on Sky now?
Is the FTA card all you need still or do you have to ask specifically for HD too?

Cheers
Dave.

meagain123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Skydigibox, DM8000, DM800, SkyStar2 CI
My Location
UK
Hi Dave,

With my FTA card from Sky I get just Channel 4 in HD, but this means I can get BBC, ITV & Channel 4 in HD on one box. In SD I get Sky3, Fiver, Five US & +1 channels and I'm sure there are more. It means I can also record these. Because Channel 4 broardcasts all it's programmes on the HD channel there is no need to have both channels in your list.

I was given an old Sky Box with no HD or recording functions and used it to activate my card and I've never had to return it back to it yet. I don't think there are specific cards for HD.

Best wishes,
meagain123

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
healeydave said:
Ok, I am getting fed up with these boxes now.
Hi Dave,
I empathize with your situation. For £1000 DMM should be releasing a fully functional box. Not releasing the hardware for sale to the general public, while waiting for "3rd party" developers to write functioning software for it. They also advertise features that they dont even have the software to support (yet).

It seems to be the trend at the minute. They release the boxes long before the software is anywhere near complete.

The same applies with the HD AB IPbox / Cubrevo machines, and by the sound of it the Qbox too. IP TV / Wifi anyone?

The manufacturers should be releasing boxes with functioning software and only relying on 3rd parties to add extra functionality.U-zzz

:)