Do Black Ultras fry?

A

archive10

To confirm the reception of 28.2E as reference for the CM120, last night I measured the output from the Black Ultra Quad on the CM180. By conincidence, I found that one of the outputs seems to have gone bad (one of the middle two). The output is cabled (like the others), but the other end has not been connected to anything for quite a while.

With no other connected cables there is barely discernible output (I think the meter senses a resistance).
With cables attached to the other conncetors (and to receiver), the output is extremely weak (35 dBuV). But nevertheless I still managed to decode Sky News on it (albeit with some pixelation).

Is this normal that a single output goes bad? Isn't normally all or nothing, when the Electronics goes?
I also wonder if this is burn-out from the solar eclipses (althoug there is that plastic cap on the feedhorn)?
Any similar experiences out there?

I assume it is time for a new Black Ultra Quad...

A nonymous

Reaction score
It wouldn't be the first time that i have seen a one single port go down on a quad or octo lnb. Nothing to worry about unless you need to use that particular output. I have a Televes lnb where 3 of the 4 outputs are still working fine more than 3 years after port no.2 stopped working. port 1, 3 and 4 are still working as per spec.

Nano

A

archive10

It wouldn't be the first time that i have seen a one single port go down on a quad or octo lnb. Nothing to worry about unless you need to use that particular output. I have a Televes lnb where 3 of the 4 outputs are still working fine more than 3 years after port no.2 stopped working. port 1, 3 and 4 are still working as per spec.

Nano
Thanks, nano. That is actually quite helpful, I will resist buying another one... ;)