Do I need a Linux receiver? If so, which?

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.5m motorised dish on tripod + C120 LNB -
Primarily used for Amos, Sirius and hotbird - hooked up to minidish for freesat
My Location
Leicester, England
The time has come to replace our receiver, ideally with a HD model.

I've heard of these Linux receivers, but the truth is, I don't know what they are capable of and therefore if i even need one. I've read various articles around the web and they often say "most of what these boxes do cannot be discussed here" - very useful. Do people tend to buy them more for these 'educational' functions than anything else?

So, what can they do that is legal but is different to other boxes? For example, can I manage my channels list or maybe set up my satellites on my motorised system from a PC rather than taking bleedin' hours using the remote?

Could I stream TV through the LAN so we can watch it in another room on another device?

What else can we do?

Moreoever, which box should we get? There's an old thread on here, but maybe there's some new boxes? I did read about some offerings from Technomate, but these often come with really nasty reviews.

Our budget is about £150, but could stretch to £200.

Many thanks in advance once again! I've learned a lot from this forum over the last few years!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Many Linux boxes are high end enthusiast boxes. they are almost infinitely customisable, and can be used for various nefarious purposes, the main one being card sharing. (Which is most definitely frowned upon on most decent forums)

However many of us like the boxes because of their flexibility - almost unlimited channels can be added, useful when you are chasing down new channels and just scan everything going on the satellites you can receive.

Many boxes can indeed have their channel lists edited via your home lan using a nifty programme called dreamboxedit.

And yup some boxes can be streamed via your lan using vlc player. I sometimes watch 4:2:2 feeds using vlc player, even though the receiver wont actually decode the video via the onboard graphics.

Just this week Ive finally managed to get the Duo to play mp4 video files off my NASbox and set up a mapped drive n my computer to the Duo hard drive so I can move video files onto it.

Not a particularly difficult thing to set up as it turned out but its one of those things Ive been meaning to experiment with for ages. Now I can finally play some torrent files on the tv (downloaded completely legally from the NRK Norway website)

Do you need a linux box? Only you can answer that question, but be aware the more complicated boxes are not exactly plug and play - they are easy enough to set up for basic functions but to get the best out of them using advanced features can take months of tinkering cursing, head scratching and pure bloody minded determination to make it do what you want it to. Ive had linux boxes round the house for about 7-8 years now and even after all this time there are some functions which I havent the faintest idea what they do

:D

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Thank you for a most informative and swift response.
I am a software developer and I got used to installing and using Linux back in 1997 when these things were a lot harder so as for getting elbow deep in technical gubbins, the only obstacle is the wife!

It sounds to me as if a linux box is going to be heaven-under-the-TV-set !

But which box? I think we should consider PVR at least. Again the wife says this is something she will never use ... but then so were the TV channels in her own language that are now never turned off!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
For 150 GBP you will only get a single tuner receiver. Something like the TM Single. Add a hard drive and you have got a very sophisticated sat-tv recorder. Want another tuner just add a USB stick. Can be satellite or terrestrial. You can stream to a computer or other smart devices like phones or tablets. And also edit channel lists on the PC and send them to the receiver. There a proper 7 day program guide. Auto updating channel lists. The software is open source with lots of third party support. And that is just the tip of the iceberg.

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Here's a thought, could I, for example, script additional functionality in a language such as python?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah you sound like a man who will enjoy the challenge.

Dreamboxes themselves are nice kit but many folk will argue they are badly overpriced nowadays.

The Vu+ series are worth looking at - Ive got a Duo, which I dont like, although being DVB-S2 capable its getting more use despite the fact every time I use the damn thing I harbour deep feelings of wanting to take it outside and pound it with a sledgehammer :D

Personally I think the Enigma 2 software sucks big time, although most people dont have my somewhat extreme views towards it!

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
BTW, instead of internal HDD you can mount and record directly to a NAS, as if the NAS were the local hard drive. Or have your main receiver in the living room with a hard drive and record/play to that drive with another receiver in another room.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Here's a thought, could I, for example, script additional functionality in a language such as python?
Yes. Python is native in E2 and a lot of functionality and most plugins are written in it. If you can write software the sky is the limit.

BTW, whatever you choose be certain it's got a Broadcom processor.

TheToad

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Leicester, England
Thank you all once again.
Can anybody recommend a reliable retailer? Is anybody on here a retailer and therefore could I show my support by purchasing through somebody who is helping me out already?

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
We have several Forum Sponsors who advertise here :)

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

A nonymous

Reaction score
Just don't bother with the Amiko Alien 2. It isn't a proper Enigma 2 receiver and the images even now are still quite flaky as Enigma 2 was never designed to run on a with an STi CPU based box (SH4 Chipset Architecture). Enigma 2 was only ever designed to run on a Broadcom MIPS CPU. STi CPU based boxes cannot run CCCam either.

I have to agree with Huevos on the TM Nano, its a good little box and most importantly it hasn't been cloned by the Chinese. If you go for a Vu+ or Dreambox you will most probably end up with a clone receiver unless you buy it from an approved retailer.

Nano

Last edited:

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
As you can see theres loads of Linux box users here and if you get stuck we really dont mind trying to help - Im sure we have all got bogged down with Linux boxes at some point.

(What the forums DONT like, and Ive seen on a few occasions are posts along the lines of:

"Ive bought this box to get free pay telly, the kids are screaming at me coz they want the football on what do I need to do to get it working?") !

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
BTW, instead of internal HDD you can mount and record directly to a NAS, as if the NAS were the local hard drive. Or have your main receiver in the living room with a hard drive and record/play to that drive with another receiver in another room.
For 2 questions, yes.
Limitations, hard drive speed and data network 100/1000Mb/s.

Tuner with 100MB network and 7200rpm disk (2.5 "500Gb) in DB800S-HD/DB800-se recordings can be made on the first disk, the remote can not do HD recordings by the limitations of the network.
Never pause a channel we see.

Personally I prefer to make recordings in the deco in local mode, no problems and very easy to configure to use another disk deco / NAS for recording or reproducing content
For testing a HUB 10/100/1000.

The DreamBox have 100Mb network card.
Some have them Vu + 100/1000 and others only 100MB care.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Para las 2 preguntas, la respuesta es si.
Las limitaciones, velocidad del disco duro y de la red de datos 100/1000MB/s.

Sintonizador con red de 100MB y con disco de 7200rpm (2'5" de 500Gb) en DB800S-HD/DB800-se se pueden hacer grabaciones en el disco del primero, el remoto no pueden hacer grabaciones en HD por las limitaciones de la red.
Nunca hacer una pausa de un canal que vemos.

Personalmente las grabaciones prefiero hacerlas en el deco en modo local, sin problemas y muy facil de configurar para que use el disco de otro deco/NAS para grabar o reproducir su contenido
Para las pruebas un HUB de 10/100/1000.

Las DreamBox tienes tarjeta de red de 100Mb.
Algunos Vu+ las tienen de 100/1000 y otros solo 100MB, cuidado.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
The DreamBox have 100Mb network card.
Some have them Vu + 100/1000 and others only 100MB care.
I don't have any problem recording HD channels over 10/100 network. If you do you need to look at the routing devices. Gigabit lan obviously would be better though and is compatible with any receivers that only have 10/100.

Vu+ models are 10/100, except Solo2/Duo2 which are 10/100/1000.

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Yes. Python is native in E2 and a lot of functionality and most plugins are written in it. If you can write software the sky is the limit.

BTW, whatever you choose be certain it's got a Broadcom processor.
Why is Broadcom important to you, compatibility of plugins, quality or something else?

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
I don't have any problem recording HD channels over 10/100 network. If you do you need to look at the routing devices. ......
Nor have the problem when using single network, the problem is at home when the family uses the network, the children see any movie over the network or perform some internet downloads, then the problems begin.

Configuration: Fiberoptic 100/10Mb ADSL Router with 4-port switch connected to 2 switches, 8 ports (10/100) and 16 ports (10/100/1000) to segment the network and have no problems.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Tampoco tengo problema cuando la red la uso solo yo, el problema es cuando en casa la familia usa la red, los hijos ven alguna pelicula por la red o realizan alguna descarga de internet, entonces empiezan los problemas.

Configuracion: ADSL Router Fibra Optica 100/10Mb con conmutador de 4 puertos conectado a 2 conmutadores, 8 bocas (10/100) y 16 bocas (10/100/1000) para segmentar la red y no tener problemas.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Why is Broadcom important to you, compatibility of plugins, quality or something else?

Enigma 2 was written with the Broadcom CPU / MIPS chipset architecture in mind, therefore any receiver using that type of chipset architecture will be 100% compatible with the Enigma 2 operating systems and all plugins written to be used in Enigma 2.

Other receivers that use for example ones that use an STi CPU /SH4 architecture like the Amiko Alien or nBox 5600s have to run Enigma 2 firmware that has had to be made backward compatible to work with the STi CPU / SH4 architecture. Enigma 2 was never compiled to run on SH4 boxes so even now it is still full of bugs and driver issues. Not all Enigma 2 plugins will work on these boxes either.

The other issue with SH4 receivers is that they cannot run CCCam so other emus like OSCam and MGcamd have to be used instead.

Nano

battenfan

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2m pf
My Location
60N 18E
Thanks. So, are there differences in MIPS instruction sets? Are there any problems running E2 apps on, say an Azbox?

A nonymous

Reaction score
I couldn't say regarding the AZBox as i have never had the pleasure of owning one, but usually if its a MIPS CPU most plugins will work with any Enigma 2 that is installed on the box.