do you think i should get in the professionals?

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
ok as you may or not know i have been having big troubles setting up my dish ,lots of things have went wrong and i think maybe i should give up and let the people who know about these set it up properly? what do you think?i dont want to as it takes out all the fun and beleive me i have had a lot trying to get it set up and have learned a lot as well from all the help i have had ,i didnt know half the things until i came here, and i prob wont know most of wot you guys know, but at least im learning do you think i should give up trying?let in the professionals?or keep on going myself?

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
Hi father ted,
Don't give up, you will get a lot of satisfaction when you finally succeed, and look at the money you will save.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this site (I don't class myself as one of them I hasten to add), but I can tell you my crude method which has worked for me.

I don't know what you satellite you are looking to receive, but presuming you are aiming to point at say Hotbird/13.0 E, Astra 1/19.2 E, or Astra 2/28.2 E, you must find where due south is. I use a compass, then work out where a point 28.2 is (for Astra 2) east of south, and aim the dish to that point, keeping the dish in an almost vertical position (tilted back slightly). Then I use a cheap satellite finder attached in the cable close to the LNB to fine tune to the best reading. Alternatively, if you have a small portable TV set (and you can see it while adjusting the dish) use that. When you have as good a picture as you can, check the skew of the LNB, usually angled about seven o'clock looking at the rear of the LNB facing the dish. Tighten everything up and you are done.

If you are looking to receive several satellites, you will need a motor which is a much more difficult ball game, and there are others here that can help you.
Best of luck!

Dogs

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eurovox quantum on a Technomate TM2200 motor and a 1mtr Dish with a MTI 0.6 LNB and have added a Technomate 1500CI+to my collection
My Location
Scotland
Hi m8...at what point you at now...did you get your motor back yet?
From what i remember you where getting there and your dreambox packed in then you had motor problems?
Anyway back to your dilemma...heres what i think you should do...
Unpack all your stuff again...dish, motor and receiver ...put them on the living room floor , look at it all and shout "YOU F*CKERS ARE NOT GOING TO BEAT ME!!!"
Then get your arse back up the ladder and try again...because the satisfaction you get when you crack it is fantastic...go on you know you want to

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just new , i have a 1meter dish, connected to open media twin unit (cable/sat)and this moment am a ladder fiend ,my wife sends meals up to me via pigeon but im loving the learning curve
My Location
scotland
ok got a new motor and im gonna get back up the ladder at the week-end ,just a quick question and sorry for being a pain,ok when/if i manage to get thor after i play around with up and down and left and right of dish ,and i lock on .do i need to the same once i goto another sat?or will i need to tweak again?cause i cant understand that bit

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the mast is plumb abd the motor elevation is correct, once you have accurately located your due South, the motor should follow the arc and USALS should find the other satellites for you. :)

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
ok story so far ,have got new motor and had it for a few weeks now just didnt have time to get it up,today i managed to get it all back up,just flung it up and played around till i got a lock on a sat and done a scan and whoosh loads of channels ,but the next question i have is this ,i had a problem with my box and sent it back and the chap who sorted it kindly put the box on his sat set up to check it out (you know who you are and thanks again by the way )he put on 19.2 e and 13 .0 e ,now i have every channel he found working and i scanned another 2 sats and have all the channels on them they must be differnt form the 19.2and the 13.2 because i dont have double channels ,but i cant get astra 28.2 or the other what is it 25 something ,so all in all i have 4 different ones ,do you think its an image thing? or a tunning thing?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Do you have the other sats listed? with populated transponder lists.

As it is not clear from your post whether you cant get it because you have'nt got it, or you can't get it because your dish is in the wrong place.

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
father ted said:
ok story so far...... just flung it up and played around till i got a lock on a sat ............

You can't do that... we bang on about the strict jobs list you have to do and get each one very exact or it won't work... and you FLUNG IT UP...

:-rofl2hmm... I'll just bung ya that up missus.. I've ad a bit of a bad day, you know... you don't mind missing a few channels like ITV do ya.. .coris' crap nowadays anyway:-rofl2

Actually, the average engineer or builder usually goes nowhere near the tolerances you have to work with for satellite...

father ted

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
scotland
pedro2000uk said:
You can't do that... we bang on about the strict jobs list you have to do and get each one very exact or it won't work... and you FLUNG IT UP...

:-rofl2hmm... I'll just bung ya that up missus.. I've ad a bit of a bad day, you know... you don't mind missing a few channels like ITV do ya.. .coris' crap nowadays anyway:-rofl2

Actually, the average engineer or builder usually goes nowhere near the tolerances you have to work with for satellite...

:-rofl2:-rofl2 yep see what you mean ok didnt bung it up i did start another post ages ago about the problems i have been having ,now im pretty good and jumping up ladders with new motors and a dish on my back :-rofl2 just having difficulty in gettting alingment i am trying honest i just cant get what it needs i think im nearly there but knowing what i have gained here, that could be a million miles away