Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Dozens Killed In Magnetic Train Crash Friday September 22, 04:48 PM Sky News

Fifteen people have died after a high-speed magnetic train came off a test track in Germany. The Transrapid train hit a vehicle and came off the tracks in the town of Lathen around 09:05 British time. Prosecutor Alexander Retemeyer said 15 bodies had been recovered from the wreckage of the train so far. Officials say 10 more people are injured.
A spokesman for IABG, which oversees the track, said the train crashed head-on with a maintenance vehicle.
He said the accident was "not caused by a technical failure" and was "the result of human error".
The train was travelling at nearly 200 kph (125 mph) when the collision took place.
There were 29 passengers on board the train, which is being used four days a week on the 32-kilometre test track between Doerpen and Lathen, near the Dutch border.
German Chancellor Angela Merkel is reported to be travelling to the crash site.
Magnetic levitation trains use powerful magnets to float the trains just above the tracks, allowing them to glide along without friction.
The accident is another blow to hopes for the magnetic-levitation technology, which can carry people at speeds of up to 270 miles per hour, after a fire on one such train in Shanghai.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
A shame, the technology is perfect for transportation, unfortunately human error is one of the few things that can completely **** it up.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Was it not Eric Laitwaite that started this all off?

Death toll now over twenty... sad

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Can't understand why they can't cater for 'human error'. If they don't have the technolgy that can sense that another vehicle is on the line they should forget it.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
jimbo said:
Can't understand why they can't cater for 'human error'. If they don't have the technolgy that can sense that another vehicle is on the line they should forget it.

The risk assessment is always based on 'more lives saved = higher cost'.
There is a foolproof system out there, but it would cost far more than any company is willing to spend, as there would be no return. A few deaths means compensation payouts that rarely break the bank.

I would have thought that this particular type of movement system could drop the 'frictionless' bit as soon as an obstacle is detected (or apply excess emergency braking via the magnetic circuitry). The result would be rather messy, but at least the train is unlikely to leave the tracks through impact.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
spiney said:
The faster you go, the worse any accident is .... there will always be accidents.
I don't think this was an accident. Really it was down to incompetence.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Well, both Ch Hopper and Jimbo are right.

Statistically, there's always going to be accidents, whatever else happens.

How much safety protection you use is very much a matter of cost.

Yes, in this case there was - bizarrely - a previous vehicle left on the track!

(The recent spate of Brit railway crashes - which received massive publicity, after a controversial privatisation - were nearly all due to "negligence", quite simply ignoring the very basic safety rules, there to supposedly protect people, but there's no possible "protection" against such irresponsible behaviour!).

steffan_st

A bit enthusiastic
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini OP 125 L, Smart Titanium lnb with CD-80 feedhorn, Moteck SG-2500, Azbox HD Premium+, some 5 meters of good quality coax
My Location
Sweden
We traveled with the Shanghai version of that train last summer.Ihave a pic of the speedometer at 431 km/h,the whole train was shaking.

Can only imagine what would have happened if they would have done the same mistake down there.....

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
steffan_st said:
We traveled with the Shanghai version of that train last summer.Ihave a pic of the speedometer at 431 km/h,the whole train

Hmm, not as fast as a vampire hamster.

Saturlight

Reaction score
Website
www.yoootube.com
My Satellite Setup
Motorised dish, dvd players and recorders; a freeview box, broadband, VCRs, four TVs, mobiles, pcs, a mac, Ipod, digital cameras...the lot!
My Location
North Tyneside
I don't know what's happening with this world, but everywhere you look there's tragedy, death and destruction. Even today I was nearly physically sick at the horrible, horrible, horrible death of a beautiful baby girl by two dogs.

Horrible.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
Man shall inherit the earth ....

..... and destroy it. I won't be here to see it I'm glad to say.