Dragon CAM and Sky - newbie questions

Messages
3
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Media Centre PC. No satellite - yet
My Location
London
#1
Hello everyone,

I'm a CAM newbie, and I'm finding it difficult to build up my knowledge in this area (not many beginners guides about!).

I am planning to connect a Sky dish to my Media Centre PC, using a Technotrend S-15000 Budget PCI card with T.Rex Cam and a legitimate paid-for Sky smartcard.

I'm led to believe that Sky actively discourages users from using their own receivers. What could Sky do to disable my account from working in this configuration? What should I be doing to ensure Sky do not have a problem with me :) ?

For example, I've read that the older dragon cams have a problem with receiving the sky 'keep-alive' signal, and need to be put back into a Sky digibox from time to time. Is this still an issue?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of while setting up?

thanks and best regards,
Paul
 

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Messages
37,698
Likes
1,286
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
#2
MacBurp said:
Hello everyone,

I'm a CAM newbie, and I'm finding it difficult to build up my knowledge in this area (not many beginners guides about!).

I am planning to connect a Sky dish to my Media Centre PC, using a Technotrend S-15000 Budget PCI card with T.Rex Cam and a legitimate paid-for Sky smartcard.

I'm led to believe that Sky actively discourages users from using their own receivers. What could Sky do to disable my account from working in this configuration? What should I be doing to ensure Sky do not have a problem with me :) ?

For example, I've read that the older dragon cams have a problem with receiving the sky 'keep-alive' signal, and need to be put back into a Sky digibox from time to time. Is this still an issue?

Are there any other issues I should be aware of while setting up?

thanks and best regards,
Paul

If you have subscribed for more than a year, then you won't have a problem with the lack of a phone connection, but unfortunately, the Dragon/T-Rex will not keep the card alive and you will need to pop it back into the digibox periodically.
 
Messages
3
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Media Centre PC. No satellite - yet
My Location
London
#3
Rolf, thanks.

As I don't have Sky right now, the phone line thing would be a problem for me :(. How often do Sky check the receiver wia the phone line?

Typically, how often would I need to re-insert the card in order to keep it alive, and for how long?

Understood that there are no firm answers for these, any views welcome.

regards,
Paul
 

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Messages
45,686
Likes
8,351
Location
Scottish Borders
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Skybox F3
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
#4
MacBurp said:
Rolf, thanks.

As I don't have Sky right now, the phone line thing would be a problem for me :(. How often do Sky check the receiver wia the phone line?

Typically, how often would I need to re-insert the card in order to keep it alive, and for how long?

Understood that there are no firm answers for these, any views welcome.

regards,
Paul

Buy your own digibox, then ask Sky for a "second hand box contract"

Or if you want them to install as well, you can pay an extra £25 which removes the obligation for the phone line connection.
 

Skip Channel

Regular Member
Messages
317
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
#5
I wouldn't worry about the phone connection, most Sky "engineers" don't (it saves them some work) and unless you have 'Multiroom' Sky don't really check.
 

wolfav

Regular Member
Messages
470
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
two sky+amstrad boxes
technomate5500ci+ with 80cm motarised dish irderto cam mr mrev +dragoncam blue tit numerous fun cards infinity pheonix compaq and dell on wirelessrouter
My Location
no mans land
#6
i keep my 2 sky plus boxes unpluged at the phone line and have no problems
they made a right mess when setting it up so sod them!:D
 
Messages
46
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
fortec star fsci - 5100 ultra reciever. 2 cam slots.

90cm dish

titanium 0.2db lnb

disceq motor

loopthrough to Sky digital box.

Dragon Cam v4.1 pred 332

Now a CAS3 owner
My Location
Wolverhampton
#7
the phoneline is only used to update software and the digibox is normally called a few days before you payment is due, just to confirm current costs of your bill.
I know this as i went for three constant months of sky not being able to call the box when i had free dialup as my pc was never switched off the net.
 

Leee

Regular Member
Messages
515
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ v2 (120Gb); DM7020Si*motorised; PC/S2-3200
My Location
47°N/8°E/490m
#8
nathanvtr said:
the phoneline is only used to update software and the digibox is normally called a few days before you payment is due, just to confirm current costs of your bill.
I know this as i went for three constant months of sky not being able to call the box when i had free dialup as my pc was never switched off the net.
The phone line is used for INTERACTIVE features plus checking multiroom. That's it.

Software comes via the dish :-bash :-bash :-bash :-bash :-rofl2
 
Messages
3
Likes
0
My Satellite Setup
Media Centre PC. No satellite - yet
My Location
London
#9
Thanks a lot for the replies so far. Can any of you Dragon cam users tell me how often you need to put your card back into the receiver (for 'keep alive') and how long you leave the card in?

thanks,
Paul
 
Top