Dream DM500 problem

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
i have sky dish and a laptop.
My Location
Luton
Hey, got this like 2 weeks ago ever since it has given some problems...like freezing or not working at all, today it has been doing that alot...every now and then it freezes and then catches no signal..i have tried to unlugh it's power and also my modem to see if it makes any difference but no luck.do you know what could be the issue for this? As it's doing more than it usually does....any kind of help would be appreciated.:)

D

deleted

need more info !! is it fixed motorised a picture of your dish sight etc etc etc.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
dale094 said:
need more info !! is it fixed motorised a picture of your dish sight etc etc etc.

what do you mean motorised mate? it's DM500 box a black box which i got like i said 2 weeks back.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
can get a picture of it if you want?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
All new standard def 500's are clones these days and some of them have very poor power supplies in them.

If you have got one with a dud psu sell it on flabay and get something a decent make as it'll never work properly.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
All new standard def 500's are clones these days and some of them have very poor power supplies in them.

If you have got one with a dud psu sell it on flabay and get something a decent make as it'll never work properly.

How can i check which ones is mines mate?

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Is there a way i can check which one i have? Thanks.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
If its new its a clone :D Dreambox discontinued the standard def 500's about 2-3 years ago.

Hard to give you any exact ideas but basically you will know if somethings not right on it - things dont work properly!

If you bought it from a shop recently then get onto the seller.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Damn sorry for double post...first one did not go through took long so asked once again, very sorry for that.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
If its new its a clone :D Dreambiox discontinued the standard def 500's about 2-3 years ago.

Anything i can do to improve it mate? and also which ones are the new ones?

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
If its new its a clone :D Dreambox discontinued the standard def 500's about 2-3 years ago.

Hard to give you any exact ideas but basically you will know if somethings not right on it - things dont work properly!

If you bought it from a shop recently then get onto the seller.

Someone got it for me, i mean is there a possibility of me selling it and getting the latest model? something you can recommend to me?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Depends how much you are willing to spend. Do you have to have a linux box?There are easier receivers to use for under a hundred quid. The super dooper HD multi tuner Dreambox 8000's are best part of a thousand quid!

Have a look at some of the advertisers on the forum. Some of them sell DB's although there are newer linux makes available for half that money.

If you are really interested in the linux boxes then Id recommend you have a look around the Linux section of the forum and see whats being posted about the different types. Folks on the forum have many different types of linux box and most makes get something posted about them reasonably frequently.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
AceRulez said:
Anything i can do to improve it mate? and also which ones are the new ones?

Hard to say. One of our mods had an Eaglebox a couple of years ago and it didnt work properly due to a poor psu. He upgraded the supply and did all sorts of changes to it. He never did get it working properly as the build quality was so bad on it. He scrapped it not long after :D

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Just wana know which ones are the best ones to get, so i can work on it...and maybe sell my one here.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
Hard to say. One of our mods had an Eaglebox a couple of years ago and it didnt work properly due to a poor psu. He upgraded the supply and did all sorts of changes to it. He never did get it working properly as the build quality was so bad on it. He scrapped it not long after :D

Well there must be something that works well? can't all be non working ones haha.I mean any latest model or something....Because i paid like over £200 for this money has been wasted i suppose but that is not a problem if i can find a better model out there.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
Depends how much you are willing to spend. Do you have to have a linux box?There are easier receivers to use for under a hundred quid. The super dooper HD multi tuner Dreambox 8000's are best part of a thousand quid!

Have a look at some of the advertisers on the forum. Some of them sell DB's although there are newer linux makes available for half that money.

If you are really interested in the linux boxes then Id recommend you have a look around the Linux section of the forum and see whats being posted about the different types. Folks on the forum have many different types of linux box and most makes get something posted about them reasonably frequently.

Thanks...do you think my one can sell good on here?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Woah - no point firing questions off like a machine gun - I cant keep up. Im doing other things as well as keeping an eye on proceedings on the forum :) :D

Give me a minute or two to get a cuppa and I'll try and answer some questions.

AceRulez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Luton
Analoguesat said:
Woah - no point firing questions off like a machine gun - I cant keep up. Im doing other things as well as keeping an eye on proceedings on the forum :) :D

Give me a minute or two to get a cuppa and I'll try and answer some questions.

Sorry mate! machine gun stops now :D and will reply once you have replied.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Lol well I decided on a glass of whisky :D

Just wana know which ones are the best ones to get, so i can work on it...and maybe sell my one here.

That depends what you want - a fiver will get you an old sky box from a boot sale! You can get perfectly serviceable none linux boxes for 50 quid from B&Q or Lidl. A bit more will get you a mid range Technomate, which have an excellent reputation - I had a TM1000 for several years although its currently out of use awaiting a software update due to internal corruption.

400 or 500 quid will get you a nice VU+ Duo, a new Dreambox type receiver capable of getting HD and has twin tuners. Quite a high reputation so far as well.

£1000 will get you the sooper dooper top of the range DB8000, although thats a bit excessive for most folks!

Thanks...do you think my one can sell good on here?

I wont predict anything for possible sales - it depends if any potential purchasers are looking for that particular model.

Well there must be something that works well? can't all be non working ones haha.I mean any latest model or something....Because i paid like over £200 for this money has been wasted i suppose but that is not a problem if i can find a better model out there.

I would have said thats excessive for a 500 clone - basic ones are 50-60 quid.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Just had a thought - when you say its freezing - is it freezing on pay channels and ok on the free ones??

I ask because Ive just had a nasty idea what your problem is.