Dreambox 500s, backup entire box

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
Can I backup the entire contents of my dreambox, so if I need to replace it or add another box I dont need to go through the hassel of getting all the files and channels ect again. And then be able to flash the entire contents back to a new box in one easy step or so?

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Try flashwizard. And it might be good to read the guides in the Dreambox section, that sort of info has already been dealt with a long time ago.

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
I make a back up using dreamup and a null cable as you will often lose your network when it all goes wrong:-togo

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
Hi guys.

Well Im haveing probs backing it up. I have tried dreamup with a null cable, and flashwizard. The problem is I make a backup with the progs but I cant find where it puts the backup to reinstall it. I am using the apps from dreambox tools.?

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
bigballs5 said:
Hi guys.

Well Im haveing probs backing it up. I have tried dreamup with a null cable, and flashwizard. The problem is I make a backup with the progs but I cant find where it puts the backup to reinstall it. I am using the apps from dreambox tools.?
If you use dreamup, it will ask you where you want to store the image.. when you name the image, make sure you end the file name with .img you will then be able to see it when you try to restore the image;)

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
Thanks for that kip. I have managed to backup my box sort of. I havent been able to backup my channels ect. Basically I want to make an exact clone of my box, the entire contents of it. Can I do this with dreamup?

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
Yes dreamup works fine for this.. It has saved me a few times.. you need a null cable for this method.. turn off your dm and connect your null cable (i disconnect all other cables to save problems) run dreamup.. untick network box.. click on connect and wait for this promt '' Connection prepared now switch on your Dreambox '' turn on your box and it will ping your dm... click the backup option and save it with a name ending in .img ... wait and wait and wait and there you go.. as i say - i prefer this method as you often lose your network when it goes wrong:)

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
kip said:
Yes dreamup works fine for this.. It has saved me a few times.. you need a null cable for this method.. turn off your dm and connect your null cable (i disconnect all other cables to save problems) run dreamup.. untick network box.. click on connect and wait for this promt '' Connection prepared now switch on your Dreambox '' turn on your box and it will ping your dm... click the backup option and save it with a name ending in .img ... wait and wait and wait and there you go.. as i say - i prefer this method as you often lose your network when it goes wrong:)

Yep thats what I did , but it only backed up the o/s of the box not my channels ect

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
bigballs5 said:
Yep thats what I did , but it only backed up the o/s of the box not my channels ect
Strange.. This is what i did and it works fine for me.. backs up everything.. sorry i wish i could think of something, i notice you are using a 500s and i have the 500.. maybe this might make a difference.. i don't know... if i can think of anything i will post back:confused

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
Can I just ftp what ever folder contains the channel list and sats I use to my pc? I dont know what folders these could be , but it would solve my problem as I still cant find where flashwizard is putting the backups im trying to make.

kip

I am not a number
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Eagle Linux
My Location
south east uk
bigballs5 said:
Can I just ftp what ever folder contains the channel list and sats I use to my pc? I dont know what folders these could be , but it would solve my problem as I still cant find where flashwizard is putting the backups im trying to make.
Flashwizard should ask you where to put the files?? I guess you could save the files this way, off the top of my head i don't know where the channel list is but the 'satellite.xml' is in 'var/etc/'.. Why not try 'dreambox edit' or 'dreamset to save' channel settings

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
I have savecd the channels ect with dreambox edit, Which I am happy about as my remote reciever has gone wrong on my box and I am sending it back on Monday. Thanks for your help kip

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
bigballs5 said:
Can I just ftp what ever folder contains the channel list and sats I use to my pc?
Dreambox Control Center will do exactly that for you too. I've found it to be a little better at detecting the correct folders and restoring backups than DreamboxEdit. Its quicker in my experience too.

Although its not designed for channel/bouquet editing.

Most images also have a backup script built into them which will back up all (Almost) of your settings, not just channels and bouquets. With a DM500 you would need to mount a network share and tell the script to dump the backup there.

bigballs5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 500s
My Location
England
compufunk said:
Dreambox Control Center will do exactly that for you too. I've found it to be a little better at detecting the correct folders and restoring backups than DreamboxEdit. Its quicker in my experience too.

I will give that ago now. I just checked my backup and none of my channels or boquets ftp back correctly..

I just had ago at DCC but I cant get it to do anything. I can connect to my dreambox and see its contents but I cant get any of the tools to work... Help needed please

I have just managed to get flashwizard to work for me, and I have now backedup all my stuff...Cheers guys.

charafantah

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500-s
My Location
geneva
i never tried, but what do you guys think if one used the linux command dd through ssh and copy the output to his pc? that would normally work on any linux machine i guess.