Dreambox dead

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo said:
guys,
i have the same problem as bluenosebryan. my dreambox dm 500s is working for maximum of 30 minutes then goes dead. i have to left it unplugged for a while then power it up for about another 30 minutes! and goes dead again. is it powersupply or image problem? i am using the original power supply come with dreambox.. please help.. i bought it just a week ago!

What does the rating of the PS (on the label) say?

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
HB13DISH said:
What does the rating of the PS (on the label) say?

please see the attached image

Attachments

• DSC02629.JPG
    DSC02629.JPG
    239.1 KB · Views: 51

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo said:
please see the attached image

The current output of 2A is probably too low.
Try to test with a better PS. The 600pvr has 3A

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
HB13DISH said:
The current output of 2A is probably too low.
Try to test with a better PS. The 600pvr has 3A
but this PS comes with the device package! why they sell it with wrong PS??

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
in the meantime i will try to find another PS :S

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo said:
but this ps comes with the dreambox package! why they sell it with wrong PS

You didn't buy an original 500S. You bought a clone and they try to make as much money as possible.
Try another PS with better current output. This way you will know if it is the PS or the receiver.

bob-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+s-t
Raven gemini 70 ,13e,19e,28e
85cm Transparent dish Moteck SG2100 and inverto black ultra lnb.
My Location
UK,Sheffield
Dream multimedia quote on their website 12v 1A or 2A psu for the dm500,
12V 2A for the dm600,and 12V 3A for the dm800.

Power consumption for the dm500 is less than 10W at 12V ,thats only around 800mw, half the rating of the 2A psu you have.

The only reason to change the psu if its of poor design and can't deliver what it says, the only sure way is to test it.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
bob-1 said:
The only reason to change the psu if its of poor design and can't deliver what it says, the only sure way is to test it.
what do you mean by poor design?

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Some of the power is also used to move your motor if you have one.

bob-1

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7025+s-t
Raven gemini 70 ,13e,19e,28e
85cm Transparent dish Moteck SG2100 and inverto black ultra lnb.
My Location
UK,Sheffield
manafo said:
what do you mean by poor design?

What i mean is it could be made from the cheapest components possible and not be up to the job at hand, probably built to the standard of a cheap kids toy.( i'm thinking you have a clone.)

mhku , i would have thought the Power consumption would be the maximum drawn from the box ,including motor, say 500ma just for motor and lnb.

When i had my dm500 i had problems with diseqc switches not switching correctly and thought it could be the power supply ,i connected a 30amp psu to it and i still had the same problem, oboviously nothing to do with the supply.

manafo, If it going for 30mins then it sound like something is over heating and cutting out ,i would try and cool either the box or psu to try and find out what the problem is.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
yesterday it works for almost 2 hours then goes dead!
how do i know if my dreambox is clone one? the mac address of the ethernet port start with 00:09:34 and should belongs to Dream-Multimedia!!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
manafo said:
how do i know if my dreambox is clone one? the mac address of the ethernet port start with 00:09:34 and should belongs to Dream-Multimedia!!
The MAC address is easily spoofed. Even DMM sometimes cant tell the difference between a clone and an original.

How recently did you buy the box, and was it sold as new? If its new and bought recently, then you can be sure its a clone. DMM stopped making the DM500 over a year ago.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
compufunk said:
How recently did you buy the box, and was it sold as new? If its new and bought recently, then you can be sure its a clone. DMM stopped making the DM500 over a year ago.

I bought it 3 weeks ago!
I just want to know if it is a power supply or hardware issue. I've changed the image flash to many versions such gemini, nabilosat but got the same issue.
when it is dead, the green light still on but the box does not respond to remote control!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
This sounds like a hardware fault to me. I'd say you need to contact whoever sold you the box and ask them to repair/replace it.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo,
You probably sent us the wrong way when you mentioned the PS.
I have a similar problem with my Dreambox 7000S
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox7000/149983-dreambox-7000s-shutdown-problem.html
and still having this problem.
It all started when I inserted a subscription smartcard in the card reader and used CCcam 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 and SCAM.
Not sure if this is the only reason, but it is a hell of a coincidence.
So let us know if you are also using a subscription card in your box and what emulation CAM are you using.
If none, then select Common Interface and see what happens.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
HB13DISH said:
manafo,
You probably sent us the wrong way when you mentioned the PS.
I have a similar problem with my Dreambox 7000S
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/dreambox7000/149983-dreambox-7000s-shutdown-problem.html
and still having this problem.
It all started when I inserted a subscription smartcard in the card reader and used CCcam 2.1.0 and 2.1.1 and SCAM.
Not sure if this is the only reason, but it is a hell of a coincidence.
So let us know if you are also using a subscription card in your box and what emulation CAM are you using.
If none, then select Common Interface and see what happens.

HB13DISH,
I think you come close to my problem. yes i have a subscription smartcard using irdeto. the smartcard was working well in my old receiver so I tried to use on my DM500 and install SCAM, the card didn't work and when I put it back to the old receiver it didn't work also!!! so my problems extended even more. i can't remember if the shutdown problem happened before or after inserting the smartcard. please i need your advice to isolate this issue. and why the smartcard doesn't work on my old receiver!!
very strange

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo said:
HB13DISH,
I think you come close to my problem. yes i have a subscription smartcard using irdeto. the smartcard was working well in my old receiver so I tried to use on my DM500 and install SCAM, the card didn't work and when I put it back to the old receiver it didn't work also!!! so my problems extended even more. i can't remember if the shutdown problem happened before or after inserting the smartcard. please i need your advice to isolate this issue. and why the smartcard doesn't work on my old receiver!!
very strange

Not sure from your message if the card is still working intermittently in 500S or not.
I can only guess that the card has burnt out (perhaps because of extra heating) or got incorrect entitlement due to the use of CCcam or Scam.
As it is a valid card, why don't you contact the shop from where you bought it and ask for a new card? They probably just ask for the cost of the plastic card.
Then don't use it in the 500S.
In the meantime, try to push air using a stand ventilator in order to cool the box and more importantly cool the card and see if this gives you a longer time between shutdowns.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
after deleting the scam, cccam and removing the smartcard, now it is been working for 3 hours and still working! I don't know if it will solve the problem completely and if I will use the smartcard again on the box.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
manafo said:
after deleting the scam, cccam and removing the smartcard, now it is been working for 3 hours and still working! I don't know if it will solve the problem completely and if I will use the smartcard again on the box.

I think that you can safely reinstall CCcam and the box will not have shutdown, as long as you don't use the card in the 500S. It is useful with softcam file.
One possibility regarding your specific card is that the chip might be designed for 3.3V operation and the 500S card readers work at 5V.
The voltage difference might account for the over heating of the card.
Try to find out the voltage specification for your card.

manafo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox dm500-s
My Location
amman
HB13DISH said:
I think that you can safely reinstall CCcam and the box will not have shutdown, as long as you don't use the card in the 500S. It is useful with softcam file.
One possibility regarding your specific card is that the chip might be designed for 3.3V operation and the 500S card readers work at 5V.
The voltage difference might account for the over heating of the card.
Try to find out the voltage specification for your card.

the problem back now after 10 hours! the box doesn't shutdown completely, the green light still on and the Ethernet port is blinking but not responding to ping or to the remote control and no picture is present.