Dreambox Mac Address

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
Can anyone tell me how to get the mac address of my DB, i have enabled Mac addressing filtering on my router and have my PC and laptop running fine as ipconfig gives me the addresses for both of these but my DB does not download through the internet so i'm presuming i need to add the mac address of the DB aswell. Any helpers?
Richie.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I thought that you normally only needed mac filtering for the wireless side of the router, do you have it connected wirelessly Richie?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Elgato into G4 17 in for Apple DVB-T captures.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
richardp said:
Can anyone tell me how to get the mac address of my DB, i have enabled Mac addressing filtering on my router and have my PC and laptop running fine as ipconfig gives me the addresses for both of these but my DB does not download through the internet so i'm presuming i need to add the mac address of the DB aswell. Any helpers?
Richie.
richardp,
you're goin to kick yourself.
look on the back of the dreambox, there is a white label and there at the bottom it says
mac: etc etc etc etc

richardp

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
pj::
You know one thing about this great forum site is that it makes you lazy, thanks for the info Haggy.
Richie.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
since when does a dreambox have a wifi adapter inside ? If you have plugged in a wifi by using the USB, look at the wifi stick for the correct MAC address.
Or am I missing something here ?

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Syslink wifi bridge from DB to Syslink wifi router to Apple Extreme streaming relay to Apple G5, 2 xG4.
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
JTA said:
since when does a dreambox have a wifi adapter inside ? If you have plugged in a wifi by using the USB, look at the wifi stick for the correct MAC address.
Or am I missing something here ?

In my case, I have a Linksys wifi bridge plugged into DB ethernet socket. Both bridge and DB have their own IP and mac numbers. Bridge beams to an apple extreme with its own IP and mac numbers and to the main wifi router with its own IP and mac numbers. Router can be accessed by cable or wireless. What I do doesnt involve mac numbers, just IP numbers on same subnet. Because I have 2 Macs and a PC on the network and a wifi camera, what is important is to fix all the IP numbers so I can keep track of them. DCHP allocation caused mayhem each time a device rebooted and got a different IP number. But the mac numbers stay the same.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Yes, I have the same sort of setup on my 7000 as Haggard. The bridge really is beautifull.

My wife uses her work laptop at home on VPN, but she's not allowed to use a PCMCIA WiFi card (against company policy so as not to expose business data) so I bought her a bridge too. :D

That'll learn 'em.

I also got a bridge for my sons XBOX, and was going to get another one for the toaster, but that would have been a bridge too far.

I'll get my coat.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Yes, I have the same sort of setup on my 7000 as Haggard. The bridge really is beautifull.

My wife uses her work laptop at home on VPN, but she's not allowed to use a PCMCIA WiFi card (against company policy so as not to expose business data) so I bought her a bridge too. :D

That'll learn 'em.

I also got a bridge for my sons XBOX, and was going to get another one for the toaster, but that would have been a bridge too far.

I'll get my coat.

ahah, the reason why you have the same sort of set up is because I copied yours, as described in the Idiot's Guide.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Are you pleased with it?

I reflashed my bridges to the latest firmware which really sped them up and made them much smoother WRT throughput. Also reflashed my WAG54G with some patched firmware allowing manual adjustment of the power output. Cool!!!

Then I added the high power antenna kit. Now it really rocks - all over the house!

STICK

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Are you pleased with it?

I reflashed my bridges to the latest firmware which really sped them up and made them much smoother WRT throughput. Also reflashed my WAG54G with some patched firmware allowing manual adjustment of the power output. Cool!!!

Then I added the high power antenna kit. Now it really rocks - all over the house!

STICK

Ooh yes.

It is true that streaming video from DB, which ought to be totally smooth at 54mbps bandwidth, is usually smooth but then some days jerky. For some reason it is down-negotiting to a lower bandwidth. But its a doddle now to ship a movie I want to keep from DB hdd to PC for authoring.

I also bought some Linksys high gain antennas to boost the range.

I'll look into f/w upgrade. I dont know why, it often fills me with dread to f/w upgrade in case the cat jumps on the keys half way thru.

haggard

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
7000S - 300GB Maxtor
1GB USB -
Panasonic 42 HD ready
My Location
NW England
BGonaSTICK said:
Also reflashed my WAG54G with some patched firmware allowing manual adjustment of the power output. Cool!!! STICK

I assume that is a manual adjustment in one direction only, like up.

Is the f/w patch a file you can pm?