Dreambox setup

matthewp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, 4 Multiroom Sky+ boxes
My Location
Manchester
Hi All

I need some advice regarding a setup i have in my home, we rewired the house around a year ago we installed an 80cm fixed dish with a quad LNB this then runs to a Genie Pro V75-242 proffesional 24 way intergrated reception system, from this we then ran 2 ct 100 cables to each room in the house were they terminate to f connectors on a wall plate as sat 1 and sat 2. We also ran a cat 5 to each room and a telephone point to each room via a 24 way gigabit hub.

The original idea was to install a HD box in each room but the dreambox concept has changed my way of thinking.

I would like to setup one dreambox as the main server and then setup the other dreamboxes as clients

1 main server dream box

7 client dream boxes

I would prefer it if the server box and all the client boxes are HD as all the rooms have a sony bravia installed which have HDMI connection for HD

1) would the dreambox setup work with the equipment installed equipment i have listed above?

2) what would be the best way to set this up i.e. what boxes are the best to use and is there any additional equipment I would require other than the boxes?

3) is there anybody who can point me in the right direction of where i can get the equipment at the best price and do we know of any installers in the manchester area who could help install and get this up and running? if so i have another two properties I need to setup which would consist of 1 server and 4 client boxes in each property.

all help is appreciated and i hope this is posted in the correct section as I' am new to this forum.

matthewp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Is there anybody who can advise me on this please?

matthewp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
How do i find where my post has been moved to?

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
matthewp said:
2) what would be the best way to set this up i.e. what boxes are the best to use and is there any additional equipment I would require other than the boxes?

3) is there anybody who can point me in the right direction of where i can get the equipment at the best price and do we know of any installers in the manchester area who could help install and get this up and running? if so i have another two properties I need to setup which would consist of 1 server and 4 client boxes in each property.
Cant help you with your cable runs/hardware, maybe another member can help you here. I'm not familiar with this equipment.

Word of warning, Sky are in the middle of a card swap, so maybe you had better wait till the process has completed before investing in so many expensive boxes. There is no way to know for sure if card sharing is still an option till the swap is complete.

2) If your going with dreamboxes, you'd need to go with DM800s all round, with one cable feed per box. Its the least you'll get away with for HD. There are rumours that a DM500HD is in the pipeline, but its not on the market yet.

Obviously you'll need to have LAN connectivity for each box. Otherwise you dont need any additional equipment, although you should consider using a PC as the server. It will help with performance, especially if you are thinking of connecting your other properties to the same server. Another thing, if for some reason the main dreambox crashes, viewing on the other boxes wont be effected. This option would also require purchasing a card reader.

3) I've had no problems with linuxsat.co.uk for clones and _http://www.air-electronics.de/ for originals. Both are fairly priced. Cant help you with installers. Try the 'installer wanted' section.
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/installer-wanted/

matthewp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Thanks very nuch for the reply compufunk can you recomend what PC to buy as the server? and also can you suggest a card reader to use???

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Sorry but your questions are subjective. There is no way anyone can tell you exactly what the best hardware is.

Especially without knowing what the situation is going to be post card swap.

A dreambox is quite capable of acting as a server, but if you decide to go down the PC route, Get the best hardwre you can afford or feel is justified...

matthewp

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Manchester
Hi

Thanks for the guidance compufunk, I would appreciate it if somebody could provide more advice for the server side. I would purchase a PC for the server as we deal with a company and buy what we class as industrialised PC's weekly. Would the following model be O.K?

_http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=398

If so what additional components would i require i.e. card reader for the pc etc, and i am i correct in thinking that we would need to install ubuntu on the PC?

Do i put the main card in the PC/server and then connect the clients to the server as sharers? this will all be done with the server and the client connected to a 24 gigabit hub internally no external access required.