Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
hi guys

i am trying to stream my dreambox channels over the internet using webcammax
i have dreambox 500s and pli jade iamge
but every time i try to add the my dreambox ip addres and the port number i get this message
the media file "http://dreamip:31344"error

i have tryed diiferent versions of webcammax
and i found one of the old versions worked with k-lite codecs

the funny thing is the webcammax 7.0.9.8 was working fine on laptop about 4 days ago but strangley i decided to do full recovery for my windows to speed it up abit but after i done that. it didnt work at all

any ideas ?

thanks

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi @wisbech,

I've not heard of Webcammax but it sounds interesting. I assume you intend to stream the Dreambox via zapstream (port 31344) over LAN to your Laptop running Webcammax and then Webcammax compresses the stream to something that will fit into your Broadband upstream bandwidth (between 256kb/s & 512Kb/s perhaps). You then log-in to Webcammax on your Laptop, while you are away from home, using a second laptop and stream the now compressed Dreambox channel to your remote location. Is this what you are trying to do?

Things to check:

First, can you stream from Dreambox over your LAN to VLC media player on your laptop using:
Code:
http://dreamboxip:31344
and view the current Dreambox channel?

Secondly, if the answer to the above is yes, then what types of stream can Webcammax accept and is the Dreambox stream compatible (it's a fairly basic mpeg transport stream so should be OK....maybe!)?

Thirdly, have you tried re-installing Webcammax from scratch (Full un-install and start again)?

Hope this may give some ideas of things to try.
Let's know how you get on and please give the answers to the questions.

Best wishes, John.

wisbech

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
td03-5 said:
Hi @wisbech,

I've not heard of Webcammax but it sounds interesting. I assume you intend to stream the Dreambox via zapstream (port 31344) over LAN to your Laptop running Webcammax and then Webcammax compresses the stream to something that will fit into your Broadband upstream bandwidth (between 256kb/s & 512Kb/s perhaps). You then log-in to Webcammax on your Laptop, while you are away from home, using a second laptop and stream the now compressed Dreambox channel to your remote location. Is this what you are trying to do?

Things to check:

First, can you stream from Dreambox over your LAN to VLC media player on your laptop using:
Code:
http://dreamboxip:31344
and view the current Dreambox channel?

Secondly, if the answer to the above is yes, then what types of stream can Webcammax accept and is the Dreambox stream compatible (it's a fairly basic mpeg transport stream so should be OK....maybe!)?

Thirdly, have you tried re-installing Webcammax from scratch (Full un-install and start again)?

Hope this may give some ideas of things to try.
Let's know how you get on and please give the answers to the questions.

Best wishes, John.

Hi, John
I am trying to stream my dreambox channels over the internet on sites like justintv, ustream .ecx
using webcammax .( webcammax 7.0.9.8)
webcammax has a feature which u can add URL from your streaming source
in my case my streaming source is the dreambox so after i have forwarded the right port for the dreambox in my router which is 31344
the url will be http://dreamip:31344 it worked perfectly and webcammax was working fine restreaming my dreambox channels but sadly i decided to do a full recovery for my windows and after i done that webcammax will not work and believe me i tried evryting possible to get it to work
Regarding streaming with VLC yes i have tried but i have found it has audio delay with the picture
When i restream my dreambox channels on the above sites
The funny thing is i have tried one of the old webcammax versions with codec and it worked but with the same audio delay problem
The dreambox streams MEPG and i can say yes webcammax accepts this format because it was working fine befor...!
So for some reason the new version of webcammax doesn’t work in my pc??
Thanks
Mo

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Mo,

I'm still confused!
Port 31344 is the port used by zapstream on the Dreambox to stream a channel at full bandwidth (say 6Mb/s for UK main channel). You could do this on your LAN but you would not need to forward any ports. Ports are only forwarded to access the service remotely, over the internet. However, as your broadband upstream bandwidth will certainly be less than 2Mb/s the most you could stream would be a 'girl-on-a-couch' channel (about 1.5Mb/s)!?

I still think that you must be streaming from Dreambox to Laptop/PC at full bandwidth over local LAN connection and then onwards over the internet after compression. This does not require forwarding of port 31344.

Since your Windoze re-install, does VLC streaming over LAN (to view directly on Laptop/PC) a Dreambox channel still work?
Are you able to access the Dreambox Enigma Webif?

Best wishes, John.

wisbech

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
td03-5 said:
Hi Mo,

I'm still confused!
Port 31344 is the port used by zapstream on the Dreambox to stream a channel at full bandwidth (say 6Mb/s for UK main channel). You could do this on your LAN but you would not need to forward any ports. Ports are only forwarded to access the service remotely, over the internet. However, as your broadband upstream bandwidth will certainly be less than 2Mb/s the most you could stream would be a 'girl-on-a-couch' channel (about 1.5Mb/s)!?

I still think that you must be streaming from Dreambox to Laptop/PC at full bandwidth over local LAN connection and then onwards over the internet after compression. This does not require forwarding of port 31344.

Since your Windoze re-install, does VLC streaming over LAN (to view directly on Laptop/PC) a Dreambox channel still work?
Are you able to access the Dreambox Enigma Webif?

Best wishes, John.

Hi, John
Yes I can access to the Dreambox Enigma webinterface. fine
VLC does work after i re-installed the windows and i am able to view the Dreambox channels on my laptop
`i think VLC uses the port 31344 to stream the channels on my laptop and i can see that when it starts up it has http://Dreamboxip:31344 written on it
My broadband upstream bandwidth is 7Mb/s
Last night i tried one of the old webcammax versions with (k-lite codec’s) and it worked but with a delay audio problem
That made me think when i re-installed the windows i might lost some sort of codecs
So that’s why the new version of webcammax doesn’t work???
Thanks
Mo

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Mo,

7Mb/s Upstream..................(@__@)..............WOW!
What is your downstream speed?
My upstream is about 384Kb/s and my downstream about 3.5Mb/s and you've got TWICE my downstream as Upstream!!!
What on earth do you pay for that sort of speed?

Back to the problem, yes it seems likely you've lost a codec.
So, if you stream a TV channel to VLC over your LAN and view it on your Laptop, are sound and vision in sync?
If you do the same remotely over the internet with port 31344 forwarded to the Dreambox IP, using VLC again, is it this that gives sound out of sync with picture?

You don't have to launch VLC from the Enigma Webif but you do need to have the Dreambox switched on or to have previously opened the Webif and selected a channel. After that you can launch VLC and from the menus select http stream and enter: dreamboxip:31344 or if remote: dreamboxdyndns:31344 or alternatively remote: dreamboxwebip:31344
You can even launch it from a desktop shortcut (or command window) as:
Code:
vlc http://dreamboxip-or-dyndns:31344
Does the above work (LAN and remote) when Webcammax fails?

Hope you get it sorted but that broadband....wow....is something else!!

Best wishes, John.

wisbech

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
td03-5 said:
Hi Mo,

7Mb/s Upstream..................(@__@)..............WOW!
What is your downstream speed?
My upstream is about 384Kb/s and my downstream about 3.5Mb/s and you've got TWICE my downstream as Upstream!!!
What on earth do you pay for that sort of speed?

Back to the problem, yes it seems likely you've lost a codec.
So, if you stream a TV channel to VLC over your LAN and view it on your Laptop, are sound and vision in sync?
If you do the same remotely over the internet with port 31344 forwarded to the Dreambox IP, using VLC again, is it this that gives sound out of sync with picture?

You don't have to launch VLC from the Enigma Webif but you do need to have the Dreambox switched on or to have previously opened the Webif and selected a channel. After that you can launch VLC and from the menus select http stream and enter: dreamboxip:31344 or if remote: dreamboxdyndns:31344 or alternatively remote: dreamboxwebip:31344
You can even launch it from a desktop shortcut (or command window) as:
Code:
vlc http://dreamboxip-or-dyndns:31344
Does the above work (LAN and remote) when Webcammax fails?

Hope you get it sorted but that broadband....wow....is something else!!

Best wishes, John.

Hi, John
My download speed is 37Mb/s :)and my upstream speed can be more 7Mb/s depends on the usage of the line of the other users
I am only paying £27.99:) a month its (BT Fibre Optic)
I know how to stream with VLC without going to the Enigma Webif
So If i stream a TV channel to VLC over my LAN and i view it on my laptop the sound and the vision are fine
If i do the same over the internet using the old version of webcammax and k-lite codec with port 31344 the sound out of sync with picture
And if i try a different way using a tool called Tunisia-sat web streamer with jtvlc plugin and VLC
Have a look at it Broadcast your dreambox to Justin.tv in six simple steps - Dreambox Chat
But again the sound out of sync with picture.....!
I don’t know if there is a way to stream just with VLC using port 31344 over the internet
On sites like justintv or ustream
The only reason i want to use webcammax because sites like justintv, ustream only can see my streaming throw webcammax but if i used VLC for stream these sites can’t see it
Thanks
Mo

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Mo,

wisbech said:
I don’t know if there is a way to stream just with VLC using port 31344 over the internet

There is certainly the way I described above to directly view the Dreambox stream over the internet, using VLC on the remote laptop.
Do you have a DynDNS or a Fixed Internet IP?

If so then one way is to make a Windoze Desktop shortcut that contains the following:
Code:
vlc http://your.Dyn.DNS:31344

OR

vlc http://your.Fixed.Internet.IP:31344
Double click the Desktop shortcut....VLC will start (just like LAN)....and eventually the stream will start.

Another way is to put your DynDNS or Fixed IP into a text file and save it as an m3u (playlist) file. Just open Notepad and enter:
Code:
http://your.Dyn.DNS:31344

OR

http://your.Fixed.Internet.IP:31344
Then save it as (say) DreamStream.m3u
Make sure that VLC is the default program to Open or Play m3u files.
Double click the m3u file and the stream should start as above.

I don't know of any reason why the sound would be out of sync with the picture using this method but obviously I cannot try it!

You are very lucky to have such high speed broadband. Mine, as quoted in my previous post, is the fastest available at my location! Is there any download (it will include Upload) limit on yours or just 'Fair Usage'?

Does any of this help or is this not what you want to do?

Best wishes, John.

wisbech

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
td03-5 said:
Hi Mo,

There is certainly the way I described above to directly view the Dreambox stream over the internet, using VLC on the remote laptop.
Do you have a DynDNS or a Fixed Internet IP?

If so then one way is to make a Windoze Desktop shortcut that contains the following:
Code:
vlc http://your.Dyn.DNS:31344

OR

vlc http://your.Fixed.Internet.IP:31344
Double click the Desktop shortcut....VLC will start (just like LAN)....and eventually the stream will start.

Another way is to put your DynDNS or Fixed IP into a text file and save it as an m3u (playlist) file. Just open Notepad and enter:
Code:
http://your.Dyn.DNS:31344

OR

http://your.Fixed.Internet.IP:31344
Then save it as (say) DreamStream.m3u
Make sure that VLC is the default program to Open or Play m3u files.
Double click the m3u file and the stream should start as above.

I don't know of any reason why the sound would be out of sync with the picture using this method but obviously I cannot try it!

You are very lucky to have such high speed broadband. Mine, as quoted in my previous post, is the fastest available at my location! Is there any download (it will include Upload) limit on yours or just 'Fair Usage'?

Does any of this help or is this not what you want to do?

Best wishes, John.

Hi, John
I do appreciate your help mate but i think you still didn’t get what i would like to do
I haven’t got a problem with what you said about watching my dreambox channels on my laptop with VLC either using it from the Enigma or just by launching it and add the dreamboxip and the port number
What i am trying to do is live streaming over the internet for other people on sites like justintv
And the only i would be able to do that is by using programs like webcammamx
But webcammax doesn’t work for some reason and it keeps give me this message
the media file "http://dreamip:31344"error
Regarding my broadband i haven’t got any limitation at all only fair usage
Thanks
Mo

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Mo,

OK! I'm with you now, it's multi-user streaming that you have a problem with.

I know that this can be done with VLC and have done it on my LAN (with no audio/video sync problem) but not sure that this is what you require (or have tried and got sync problem like old Webcammax)? Also you would need to advise people of the stream DynDNS or Fixed Internet IP plus port number (usually 8080 by default) and perhaps the sites you have mentioned make the stream available without revealing the source IP and port!!?? Only guessing?

So, the problem with Webcammax is that the new version (that had no sync problem) cannot read the Dreambox Zapstream stream (port 31344) but old Webcammax or VLC can. Have I at last fully understood the problem?

If so, then I do not see why any unusual codecs would be necessary to read an mpeg transport stream! Nor why an old version of Webcammax would be happy to read it but a new version fail!!
Have you asked about this on a Webcammax forum?
It seems more like a Webcammax problem rather than a Dreambox one.
VLC certainly suffered problems reading a Dreambox stream after an upgrade some time ago but it was fixed after people posted on the VLC site forum. Perhaps there is a problem with the latest version, although it worked before your windows restore, all very puzzling!!

Sorry, no more ideas. I'd be interested to know what the problem was, when you get it fixed.

Best wishes, John.

wisbech

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hotbird
My Location
cambridgeshire
td03-5 said:
Hi Mo,

OK! I'm with you now, it's multi-user streaming that you have a problem with.

I know that this can be done with VLC and have done it on my LAN (with no audio/video sync problem) but not sure that this is what you require (or have tried and got sync problem like old Webcammax)? Also you would need to advise people of the stream DynDNS or Fixed Internet IP plus port number (usually 8080 by default) and perhaps the sites you have mentioned make the stream available without revealing the source IP and port!!?? Only guessing?

So, the problem with Webcammax is that the new version (that had no sync problem) cannot read the Dreambox Zapstream stream (port 31344) but old Webcammax or VLC can. Have I at last fully understood the problem?

If so, then I do not see why any unusual codecs would be necessary to read an mpeg transport stream! Nor why an old version of Webcammax would be happy to read it but a new version fail!!
Have you asked about this on a Webcammax forum?
It seems more like a Webcammax problem rather than a Dreambox one.
VLC certainly suffered problems reading a Dreambox stream after an upgrade some time ago but it was fixed after people posted on the VLC site forum. Perhaps there is a problem with the latest version, although it worked before your windows restore, all very puzzling!!

Sorry, no more ideas. I'd be interested to know what the problem was, when you get it fixed.

Best wishes, John.

Hi, John
at last the problem is fixed now and webcammax (new version) is working fine
i think the problem was that webcammax couldn’t read the dreambox streaming format for some reason and that what i told you in my previous posts and also that what i been thinking the problem was
So i download this codec FFDShow MPEG-4 to try it and it worked with the webcammax (new version)
and the webcammax is now working fine with this codec reastreaming my dreambox channels
You know i been working to fix this problem since last weekend and i was so depressed over it
Nice to meet you mate
Thank you very much for your help
By the way do you have any experience about (cardsharing)..?
Thanks
Mo

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Mo,

I'm glad you've got it sorted.
I will look into the stream sharing sites you mention as it sounds interesting.

Sorry but I know nothing at all about CS. I'm just an old-school key file person and soon, I expect, the last of that will be stopped but so will CS as far as I have heard!

I like to enjoy all the other aspects of these very versatile Linux driven boxes. Including streaming, as do you, but I only stream music (Radio channels or Audio of TV channels) to my Asus EeePC at work.

All remote access to my DM7000S is now via SSH/Dropbear using RSA Key Authentication with password access disallowed. It is the safest way to set-up remote access to a Dreambox. Without it, I had Asian web IP's attempting to access my box and succeeding! So I had to make it more secure. Normal port forwarding, particularly of the standard ports (80, 23, 21) poses a severe security threat to a Dreambox or any network connected computer system. If you don't at this time use SSH/Dropbear, then I would strongly recommend you to implement it.

Best wishes, John.