Drivers needed - IBM Thinkpad 281 usb

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive deleted two drivers that control the host controller for the 82801db/dbm
- idents are 24C2 and 24C4
'
Anyone that can help ?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Have you tried the IBM website?

They have a massive archive of drivers. Best s/w archive I've ever seen.

All Hail Big Blue.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
BGonaSTICK said:
Have you tried the IBM website?
They have a massive archive of drivers. Best s/w archive I've ever seen.
All Hail Big Blue.

(just noticed a typo - its the model 2681, running Windows XP Professional)

I did go through the site, all I could find was the board firmware 10ET57WW, version 1.23 upgrade, all this does is modify the screen luminance when on battery.

Similarly the Microsoft site has a critical update - KP822603 for intrusion issues, but no actual drivers.

The fault is the laptop does not recognise anything connected via the USB port, which somewhat hampers connection to the internet at its location to seach / download the appropriate cure.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Anything here any good to you CH ?

_http://list.driverguide.com/list/company475/

L.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Tried it, that site has a subscription system that I cant get my head round

Intersting they state the 82801db/dbm is a driver for a sound card though, shouldnet be messing up the USB port

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Bu**er !

I'll keep looking.

L.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Channel Hopper said:
Tried it, that site has a subscription system that I cant get my head round

Intersting they state the 82801db/dbm is a driver for a sound card though, shouldnet be messing up the USB port

Sent you a PM with my login details for this site

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
Channel Hopper said:
(just noticed a typo - its the model 2681, running Windows XP Professional)

I did go through the site, all I could find was the board firmware 10ET57WW, version 1.23 upgrade, all this does is modify the screen luminance when on battery.

Similarly the Microsoft site has a critical update - KP822603 for intrusion issues, but no actual drivers.

The fault is the laptop does not recognise anything connected via the USB port, which somewhat hampers connection to the internet at its location to seach / download the appropriate cure.
Hi channel hopper
if your laptop is old and to replace with new one is expensive why not get a modem/router use ethernet port so all your XP will use is the IE explorer to get out on web far cheaper. If you live in uk i can send you one free of charge have quite a few not being used. let me know i can configure it for you if required.
Many thanks CMC
i also have 12GB worth of disks with drivers on i will look to see if i have your ones

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
cmcnetworks said:
Hi channel hopper
if your laptop is old and to replace with new one is expensive why not get a modem/router use ethernet port so all your XP will use is the IE explorer to get out on web far cheaper. If you live in uk i can send you one free of charge have quite a few not being used. let me know i can configure it for you if required.
Many thanks CMC
i also have 12GB worth of disks with drivers on i will look to see if i have your ones

Thanks a lot for the offer, unfortunately the whole idea behind the laptop in question was to run a d-link ethernet adapter for NTL broadband (converts USB to ethernet from the set top box :confused ), and as such the cable in the house stops rather short of the final resting place of the IBM.

If you have a serial ethernet lead, or know where I could get one cheap then this would of course be the ideal solution (as long as the Ethernet protocol stuff in the laptop isn't up the spout as well)

Why do I pick these jobs ?

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
Channel Hopper said:
Thanks a lot for the offer, unfortunately the whole idea behind the laptop in question was to run a d-link ethernet adapter for NTL broadband (converts USB to ethernet from the set top box :confused ), and as such the cable in the house stops rather short of the final resting place of the IBM.

If you have a serial ethernet lead, or know where I could get one cheap then this would of course be the ideal solution (as long as the Ethernet protocol stuff in the laptop isn't up the spout as well)

Why do I pick these jobs ?
You can make one if you have a spare serial cable i hae the pin out if required or i can make you one and send it to you.
Regards CMC

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It would be the female end I would need , as for wiring loom, it would be 1-1, 2-2, etc ?

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
Channel Hopper said:
It would be the female end I would need , as for wiring loom, it would be 1-1, 2-2, etc ?
no you need rx-tx tx-rx dcd - cts cts - dcd ground and so on
if you want me to make one i can and get it sent to you. As for the drivers i think i may have them if so i will upload on one of my sites then you can download from there i will put all the drivers on there for you.
Cheers CMC

d122k7trb

Judas Priest
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IClass Receiver
2 Premium X LNBs Hotbird+ Nilesat
120" Dish

Computer system:
AMD Phenom Quad quad core 9750
4GB DDR2 Bus 800 RAM
MB: Asus Crosshair
1 TB Seagate Barracuda 32 MB cache
22" LCD Widescreen Samsung 226BW
SB X-Fi Xtreme
My Location
Armenia, ME: The Arab Countries
Reading all your messages, I diidn't find out what's really the matter. So send me the your problems HOPE that I'll do my best for you. rb_minassian@yahoo.com is my e-mail address.
One wants to see TV channels with a Notebook, another one gives the Manchester Encoding (As I Remember). The problem of straight-tru , cross-over and rollover shouldnot be forgotten for a Two wire color-code standards apply:
EIA/TIA 568A and EIA/TIA 568B.

Note That : The TX (transmitter) pins are connected to corresponding RX (receiver) pins, plus to plus and minus to minus :cool:

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Here it is CHH. Yes, that site does require you to do stuff before you download, but I think it is more to do withy trying to prevent others fishing out their files or something. Let me know if it worked.

cmcnetworks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
amstrad digibox
fortec 5100 ultra
motor
big dish
little dish
Channel Hopper said:
hi CH
I have that lead if you still require email me if you need it Jason@cmcnetworksltd.com

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
T_G said:
Here it is CHH. Yes, that site does require you to do stuff before you download, but I think it is more to do withy trying to prevent others fishing out their files or something. Let me know if it worked.

Thanks, the files within the zipped folder are .pnf, whilst the remainder of drivers in the laptop are .dll.

Is it safe to simply install these manually (I am assuming they go into the Windows\system, or is it system32 ?), or do I need to do some file extension changes .

The laptop does not recognese whats in the folder as a legitimate driver for the device, and since the device is 'unknown' I cannot confirm why they are not being accepted

Any ideas?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well C H
If you still have access to the internet via a dial up modem on your lappy you could make use of this excellent link that was posted a while ago by Marts
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=35775
You would need to click on Driver XP along the top of the page and I believe the utility will sort out any missing or damaged drivers. It's worth a try!!!!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Will try it later today and post the results