Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
My Panasonic Lumix, whilst I love the operation of it and I have some stunning photos from Switzerland recently, the 12X lens has somehow had an ingress of dust on the 'inside' the zoom lens, despite my care to avoid such things. Having done some research when I first noticed it a few weeks ago it seems it is quite common, yet nobody seems to have a solution. If I could just move it to the side it would be ok but slap bang in the middle it is a PITA. I have overdone the contrast to really show it on this snap from the aircraft window

Attachments

• 21062011 020 (2736 x 1824).jpg
    21062011 020 (2736 x 1824).jpg
    681.6 KB · Views: 84

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
SWMBO treated herself to a Lumix with her 10years service award (Not, not a marriage longevity consolation prize!) and I told her what you've said: She said, oh, I think mine has that already.

Fortunately, it was some oily traces on the outer. Quick application of the Lens Cloth and aok.

But we'll keep an eye on it (Obviously).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Anything so close to the lens (on either side) would not show up as a mark, it would possibly soften the image but not much more.Something else is causing those marks (a dirty monitor screen ;))

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I get dust in my Sigma lens, bear in mind that to lengthen or shorten the lens it acts like a piston and pulls air through it.

Did have it cleaned last time the lens broke, but the guys at sigma said that it normally makes little difference unless it's really bad.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
I found this Topper but I guess you've probably come across it as well. The suggested solution would of course invalidate your warranty!!

_http://www.photokb.com/Uwe/Forum.aspx/photo-digital-zlr/359/Panasonic-Lumix-dust-on-lens-again

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Warranty is up Pete got it so I may have to resort to this n the absence of anything else, always up for a challenge, and yes it is the piston effect drawing air in Rolf but you would think there would be a controlled and filtered port for the control of foreign bodies

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Topper said:
but you would think there would be a controlled and filtered port for the control of foreign bodies

What? From Panasonic?? Are you mad??? :-rofl2

If you do strip it to clean out the lens assembly, try fitting a filter by using the outer layer from a universal cut-to-fit vacuum cleaner filter, the outer layers are very thin but filter quite well, so could help to keep the dust out... :)

Either that or get another camera that isn't Panasonic... :-rofl2

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Are you sure that is not dirt on the sensor. If it was dust in the lens it would be completely out of focus and not notice.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Topper said:
Rolf but you would think there would be a controlled and filtered port for the control of foreign bodies

Well I guess they have sealing rings like on a piston, but it would be nigh impossible to seal from very small dust particles.

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Topper said:
.....but you would think there would be a controlled and filtered port for the control of foreign bodies

there's one at Dover....allegedly.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
rolfw said:
it would be nigh impossible to seal from very small dust particles.
A lot of dust is internally generated anyway.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Unfortunately that link is for an SLR camera not a DMC mmm back to the drawing board

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Huevos said:
Are you sure that is not dirt on the sensor. If it was dust in the lens it would be completely out of focus and not notice.

Well finally problem solved, Huevos alluded to the actual problem but the use of the word sensor threw me somewhat on this.

I assumed by sensor one meant as in light sensor etc but is actually referring to the digital camera image sensor.
Armed with this information I was easily able to find a video of someone removing dust from the sensor of a different model in the same Panasonic Lumix range. I am therefore grateful to MikeSenese who produced the video and the only only differences I would and indeed did make make would be to use a magnetized screwdriver and having removed the sensor plate to then place a black card over the back of the camera to spot and remove any of the dust particles that may fall back onto the camera after blowing off the sensor. I attach a full 47 times zoom of a white wall to show the improvement to the camera in comparison to the first photograph, I would say that is a result

[video=youtube;q_sP4yLf6lA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_sP4yLf6lA[/video]

Attachments

• 22082011 (1824 x 1368).jpg
    22082011 (1824 x 1368).jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 75

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Excellent news, Topper.

Will stash this one away in the recesses of the mind as SWMBO may need hers doing in the future.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Tivù said:
Will stash this one away in the recesses of the mind
Well, that's it lost forever then if you're anything like me.