Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Medion MD96630
GeForce 9300
My Location
England
Hi -

I'm looking for a dvb-s2 card to be able to receive the free HD channels (BBC/ITV) via my Sky box. I'd like a USB version so I can link up to my laptop which I want to then link to my TV.

I basically want to be able to turn my laptop in to a Freesat HD+ box (get free HD and be able to pause/rewind/record).

Ideally I'd like one that is Linux compatible but not essential.

PS: I'm not currently subscribed with Sky (just have the equipment) - will I need to get a 'free-to-air' card to get the free HD cards?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
dpatel said:
Hi -

I'm looking for a dvb-s2 card to be able to receive the free HD channels (BBC/ITV) via my Sky box. I'd like a USB version so I can link up to my laptop which I want to then link to my TV.

I basically want to be able to turn my laptop in to a Freesat HD+ box (get free HD and be able to pause/rewind/record).

Ideally I'd like one that is Linux compatible but not essential.

PS: I'm not currently subscribed with Sky (just have the equipment) - will I need to get a 'free-to-air' card to get the free HD cards?

SkyStar USB 2 HD CI
_http://www.technisat.com/indexdb3d.html?nav=PC_products,en,76-228
Need a powerful laptop
Try to setup a second coaxial cable so that you can connect it directly to the card. Essential to switch off power when connecting the cable to it.

dpatel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
Medion MD96630
GeForce 9300
My Location
England
Thanks for the reply.

Do you know if I need a 'free to view' card?

Also, I found the Tevii S650 but not sure if it'll work - any ideas? I know it doesn't have a card slot so that's a downside but it's somewhat cheaper.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
No need for a FTV card for the HD channels you mention. Only for CH4 HD, once the card has been authorised by Sky in a Sky box.

There is some experimental support under Linux for the Tevii S650, nothing for the Technisat (yet - I'm still waiting).

Llew