DVB-T USB Receiver Decrypting Channels

immortali

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a dreambox 500, and an AMD 4gb ram.
My Location
Malta
Hi,
I just bought a USB DVB-T receiver. As it is still a relative new technology, there are no forums whatsoever about this subject so I guess Satellite forums are the nearest thing. I have a dreambox for satellite and wish to know if DVB-T can have virtual cards like dreambox.

I wish to watch non-free-to-air TV from the DVB-T therefore what I need is a decrypter for the signal. Does this exist? Is it a software or a hardware? If its a software can anyone guide me to the program and how to use it?

Thank you,
Immortali

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
immortali said:
Hi,
I just bought a USB DVB-T receiver. As it is still a relative new technology, there are no forums whatsoever about this subject so I guess Satellite forums are the nearest thing. I have a dreambox for satellite and wish to know if DVB-T can have virtual cards like dreambox.

I wish to watch non-free-to-air TV from the DVB-T therefore what I need is a decrypter for the signal. Does this exist? Is it a software or a hardware? If its a software can anyone guide me to the program and how to use it?

Thank you,
Immortali

Are you asking for general knowledge, or regarding specific terrestrial channels in Malta?
Do you know which encryption system is being used?
I think that in the UK, there is a terrestrial package called Setanta which uses a smartcard and a special CAM.
Try to ask about it, but my guess is that is secured.
_http://www.setanta.com/uk/How-To-Subscribe/FreeView/
We are going to have digital transmission in Israel, hopefully this year and I would appreciate any information that you can provide regarding the channels and receivers, etc.
Please give more information about the USB DVB-T receiver that you bought.

immortali

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
I have a dreambox 500, and an AMD 4gb ram.
My Location
Malta
I am asking as general knowledge which I might also use to watch some Maltese channels. Basically, if I understood well, the channels are encrypted although they arrive at the full signal. Therefore is it possible for a program to try to unscamble the channel, much like how a password cracker tries to crack a password by bruteforce, until the channel is viewable?

There are only 6 free channels in Malta, which are Italian channels. The Maltese channels which are open to analog viewing for free, are scrambled in the digital terrestrial. Dunno if it is legal or not.

We only have one company that provides digital terrestrial. GO (_www.go.com.mt). It offers a decoder branded by them, and to unscramble the channels uses a smart card. Until now there is no HD channels, although from the analog channels theres an advantage of the sound being in stereo. There are about 50 channels, 6 of them being free-to-air, namely: Italia 1, Rete 4, Canale 5, Rai 1, Rai 2, Rai 3 (Italian channels). Normal free to air Maltese channels are encrypted, namely: TVM, Net TV, One TV.

Hope this helps

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks for the info.
I took a look at the package options and it looks good and at a reasonable cost.
We are going to have only five digital channels which are FTA anyway from Amos satellite. Nothing as good as what you have now in Malta.

I doubt very much if it would be possible for you to open for free.
Satellite encryption has improved tremendously over the past year and this provider must be aware about how to keep their signals secure.
Which encryption are they using?

Hir200

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echolink 3030
My Location
malta
immortali said:
Hi,

Thank you,
Immortali

Just to ask you something have you succeeded in opening the encrypter channels and if you did so can you tell me how please .
Thanks in advance.

kevin Galea

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
This thread is from 2009, and to do with PCI Cards. Things change very quickly, in the satellite hobby, and there is not a lot of channels available on general emulation, using keys.
Your profile states that you have a Dreambox so you would be better served reading the Dreambox guides:
Dreambox Guides, Stickies and FAQs