DVD/Blu-Ray Writer Question

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
80cm Orbital Satellite Dish
Motorized
LNB with 2 outputs, 2nd output leading to upstairs and using Dreambox 500S.
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K Amp/Receiver,
My Location
Stockton-on-Tees, Cleveland
I have seen the following Blu-Ray/DVD Writer;
Panasonic UJ-220 Blu Ray DVD/RW Laptop Drive

but it is an IDE connection, can I still use it on the Dreambox 8000?? obviously I'll need a IDE to SATA converter..

so... with the writer, the wire/s needed and the converter, will it all fit in the box??

I will just be using the DVD writer of the drive until Dreambox has support for Blu Ray playing and recording

also what else do I need for this installation/setup??

1. Blu-Ray/DVD Writer drive
obviously
2. SATA cable
3. IDE to SATA Coverter (which one, if there are different types)

anything else??also once installed what do I need to setup in the menus??

Thanks,

also (in case I don't get to say it again)
:-thumbup Merry Christmas Everyone On The Forum :-thumbup

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
Can't comment on the drive/IDE - but blu-ray does NOT work on a DM - there are no drivers.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
as I stated it'll only be the dvd recording feature i'll be using, NOT the Blu Ray recording feature, I am wanting this drive as it will hopefully future proof me for IF DM brings out a driver or addon for the box to use the Blu Ray feature, so I don't have to then folk out another £100 in about another year or so,

more advice please,

Thanks,

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
i'd say buy it because you can convert the IDE over, whether that is supported i am not sure but it should be. I bought the very same unit from the US of A and just waiting for it to arrive so i cannot comment on it.

I guess what was needed was for somebody to go through with it and test it out, i have gone through with it and will post my testing results just before Christmas when all of the kit arrives.

If anybody has got a DVD/Blu-ray drive working on the 8000 then if you could let people know your results then that would be great. I shouldn't see why the DVD part of it shouldn't work. We shall see in a few days anyways. I'd just go through with the purchase, if anything you can always stick it into a laptop if it doesn't work.

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
The blu-ray drivers are not a dream issue - there are no linux drivers - blu-ray is proprietry and as such the drivers are 'secret'; I guess it will take some time for open source to write drivers. (This is as I understand it).

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
I think your missing the point, there are 3 ways (well 3 main ways) in which to record,
1. DVD - 1a. Video, 1b. Data,
2. CD - 2a. Audio, 2b. Data,
3. Blu-Ray - 3a. Video, 3b. Data,
but for the dreambox, options 2 and 3 are not available

so thats my question, TO ONLY USE THE DVD VIDEO READ/WRITE OPTION and that option only

I know the Blu Ray part is a no no at this point and probably always will be the case, but having the writer in anyways will save me from having to get 1 later if in the future support becomes available, but for now the question is can i use the dvd read/write part for copying my recordings from the harddrive in the dreambox onto dvd??

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
yeah i get what he means, what he is trying to say is will a dvd/blu-ray writer work with just the DVD part. When blu-ray becomes available that should then work off the same drive once it is supported by linux.

It is quite a clever idea actually as it means he'll only have to pay for one slimline drive instead of replacing for a blu-ray once supported.

Just wants to know if people have tried DVD functionality on a dvd/blu-ray drive inside a dm that is all.

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
I knew what you meant, but it *might* be that because its a BR drive, the DM won't access it properly - but I haven't seen anyone reporting on BR drives. So I guess - I don't know, it could be an expensive trial if you want to find out, unless you can borrow one to try first.

marcaaron20

Dreaming Satellites
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD,
Motorized
My Location
its just the 1 i've seen is £95 + free delivery which is a bargain for a writer thats blu ray too (i know the blu ray part won't work on the dreambox until DM support it, the cheapest i've seen them is £170 and around that mark

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
Please report back, so others who might be thinking the same thing have an answer.

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
no probs man, i'll report back when it all arrives to let you both know.

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
OK. Have a blu-ray in the PC, so shared it on the network. The DM can see the drive & files - but can't play them. Put a DVD in the drive, the DM played it! Ripped a blu-ray disk onto the PC, a 45gig m2ts file - DM played it, but audio was AC3.
HTH

yusat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Finepass 5000
dreambox 800
sharp hd1e
My Location
turkey
Hello Oldfart,
wow that's very interesting,
but if the dm can read the bd
can it rip it too?
Cheers
yusat ;-)

oldfart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
laminas 2.7 offset
Invacom Quattro LNB
Chayofa, Tenerife
DM8K
My Location
Tenerife
yusat said:
Hello Oldfart,
wow that's very interesting,
but if the dm can read the bd
can it rip it too?
Cheers
yusat ;-)

No idea if there are any linux BR rip programs.