mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
My report: not working. VLC 0.8 on my PC and vlc plugin on my db. Have edited vlc.xml to use my IP and username/ pwd and set to F: and D: (for file and dvd). Start VLC on my pc and start vlc on db: get the menu options but they do nothing when selected...

Will continue trying (all I want to do is play some files on my PC so that I don't have to convert to svcd or dvd...).

Even if I "play" a an avi or mpg in vlc and stream from my PC the DB doesn't "see" the stream when I start vlc.... :(

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
@mhku

"all I want to do is play some files on my PC so that I don't have to convert to svcd or dvd..."

Don't understand. What file are you trying to play ? You do not need vlc plugin to do this. Just open file using vlc media player in pc.

"Even if I "play" a an avi or mpg in vlc and stream from my PC the DB doesn't "see" the stream when I start vlc.... "

Cifs is best for streaming from pc to db.

Regards.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
But when I stream (using vlc to play the film file) from my PC i cannot make the DB "see" the stream- the vlc plugin just shows file, svcd, vcd and dvd. I cannot "see" the stream from my pc. :(

How do I do this with cifs? I thought cifs was just a file system?

Thanks again!

ps is there a way to convert avi, divx to .ts? Or which .mpg is playable by the DB - mpg1, 2 or 4?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mhku said:
But when I stream (using vlc to play the film file) from my PC i cannot make the DB "see" the stream- the vlc plugin just shows file, svcd, vcd and dvd. I cannot "see" the stream from my pc. :(

How do I do this with cifs? I thought cifs was just a file system?

Thanks again!

ps is there a way to convert avi, divx to .ts?

In this thread I referred to playing a dvd disk from the pc to db. It worked for my 5620 with Vlc media player 0.7.2 in pc and vlc plugin 2.2 in db. You are using different vlc and plugin.

First, you start vlc media player program in pc, don't play anything ! If you have file in pc, you will see it in the vlc plugin list, red. Then select it there it should start playing on tv. Same with DVD disk, first, just insert it in pc then start vlc player but don't play. Then vlc plugin, blue.

As for converting and playing divx from pc to db, there is a section in the Klona guide.

Finally, cifs also plays back movie files (mpeg).

Regards, pcd..

mono_eric3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Cable TV on the todo list
My Location
North UK
skydreamer said:
I like the other way around better- streaming from DB to a WiFi laptop, watching telly everywhere around the house...

How is this done? Ive been fidling with setting here and there for ages now, and ive got tuxbox, ngrab (dreamtv crashes on startup). But i just dont understand how to get it setup correctly.

Ive got the mp3 player and the pictureviewer on my dbox working ine, but id love to be able to get the full package up and running.

Any help/links/useful nods would be appreciated.

Thanks.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The "method" TG mentions is that with a DB running the Gemini Image you can watch TV on your PC (or laptop) using Gemini Manager (from IHAD). All you do is start up Gemini Manager, configure it (ie tell it your DB's IP address, username & pwd) and then click the "Gemini TV" button- you can then watch TV on your computer.

_ttp://www.I-have-a-dreambox.com

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mono_eric3 said:
How is this done? Ive been fidling with setting here and there for ages now, and ive got tuxbox, ngrab (dreamtv crashes on startup). But i just dont understand how to get it setup correctly.

Ive got the mp3 player and the pictureviewer on my dbox working ine, but id love to be able to get the full package up and running.

Any help/links/useful nods would be appreciated.

Thanks.

There are a number of methods to view tv from the pc. It is a question of finding out which one is good for you. For example :-

(1) Using gemini tv as mentioned before.

(2) Install vlc 0.7.1 in the pc and view through web browser. Does not work with IE.

(3) Install mtuxvision (after installing tuxvision and trex) in pc and record and/or view.

(4) Install mgrab and do the same.

Some of these soft are available from w*w.dbox2.info and the others can be located by searching.

Regards, pcd.

mono_eric3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North UK
Sorry guys im stuck. Right, I have done some research and looked at stuff on these forums, however, I have a neutrino nokia dbox and it seems to be a little different to what most people have.

The problem is I have a stack of applications, a stack of settings, and no way of puting it together other than trying to translate german (I can give directions to the town hall and count to ten but thats my limit - and man babelfish sucks)

Everything is running through a router (which may be causing problems) but anyway, my setup is:

Dbox: 192.168.0.7 (default)
PC: 192.168.0.2 (dhcp)
router: 192.168.0.1 (the gateway - as setup on both the dbox and pc)

the dbox also has a broadcast address of 192.168.0.255 (any ideas? - im assuming thats a UDP multicast but ive no idea - pings ok)

There are settings for recording where i can setup an IP and a port
There are also settings for movieplayer where i can setup a streamingserver IP and port

Ive been using TuxVision/MTuxVision/VLC/NGrab/TRex and Ive got as far as TuxVision will read all the channels in, but wont preview (PID trouble) and NGrab will show the little green connected icon - but does nothing (except if i hit record on my box, everything goes a bit kaka)

Thats about all the info I have if anyone knows what bits should go where - or what extra sotware I need. I cant seem to get much on the box and I dont know what image is on it just now - its neutrino thats about all i know.

Sorry for being so useless guys, thanks for your help.

: D

UPDATE:

More apologies for my ineptness here. Right, I managed to finally get mgrab installed (and all the codecs) and after 3 hours playing I managed to capture 10 seconds of footage. It seems to only play whilst capturing and then it plays in a totally out of proportion window. To get the proportion back, i have to play a captured file click the little aspect button then go back. But once I do this it stops working entirely.

How do you have Mgrab setup and any ideas, whyt that would work and not MTuxVision? I will have another play tonight and see where it leads. Many thanks for your help with this guys.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The broadcast address would be to do with the subnet mask 255.255.255.0 (try an route print on your pc and see what you get). Can't help you with mgrab (ngrab?) but try using "search" and see what is here; there may also be some info in the Idiot's Guide. sat-ind may have some info. And turn off any virus software on your pc when trying to record. Is your DBox ip added as a trusted zone to your firewall?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
mono_eric3 said:
Right, I managed to finally get mgrab installed (and all the codecs) and after 3 hours playing I managed to capture 10 seconds of footage. It seems to only play whilst capturing and then it plays in a totally out of proportion window. To get the proportion back, i have to play a captured file click the little aspect button then go back. But once I do this it stops working entirely.

How do you have Mgrab setup and any ideas, whyt that would work and not MTuxVision? I will have another play tonight and see where it leads. Many thanks for your help with this guys.

If you select S where R was, it will stop record and start playing. I think the aspect ratio changes when you rightclick on the picture. Can't remember, will find out later.

With mtuxvision, after you have done 'Preferences' select the left button to upload db settings. Select any channel from the settings, and select OK when it says default. You should see 'buffering' and tv picture will follow. Regards, pcd.

mono_eric3

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North UK
THANKS GUYS!

Got it working fine in MTuxVision and it seems to work in TuxVision too (ish)

MGrab is incredibly flaky but when it does capture - the quality is outstanding.

Couldnt get anywhere with VLC, just kept saying cant open video.

It seemed to be a matter of spending time fidling and resetting the box. It would seem the box gets a little confused when trying to figure out the right settings, and then locks any further contact, thus making the whole process a pain in the backside.

If anyone else is having issues with a nokia dbox on neutrino, I got it working by using the username 'root' and a blank password. The port was the same as the port setup for recording on the dbox (Menu>Settings>Recording>dbox) on mine this worked out as root@192.168.0.7:4000 (192.168.0.7 being the normal IP address of the box) - just remember to keep resetting the box every now and then when testing settings.

Hope this helps anyone else whos having trouble.

Thanks alot for your help, muchly, muchly appreciated.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Well done ! :)

Vlc is problematic, mainly because it has many settings options which have to be exactly configured for the occasion. Also it has many versions which are not necessarily 'improvements', but with different features. If you want to play with it, I suggest visit the videolan forum. Regards, pcd.

newinc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000
My Location
NL
PCD said:
Well done ! :)

Vlc is problematic, mainly because it has many settings options which have to be exactly configured for the occasion. Also it has many versions which are not necessarily 'improvements', but with different features. If you want to play with it, I suggest visit the videolan forum. Regards, pcd.

PCD,

I followed your instructions on How to stream a DVD from pc to Dreambox with the vlc method. Used the releases you mentioned, didn't get it to work the first time. After searching the web i found some additional information and it works perfectly now. I will list my changes below for everyone who has some difficulties as well:
1) For WINDOWS XP users: Right click the shortcut to start vlc and select properties. Change target line in "C:\Program Files\VideoLAN\VLC\vlc.exe" --intf wxwin --extraintf=http

2) In vlc I selected Settings -> Preferences -> Input I have set the port to 8080 and given the DVD drive the right drive letter (don't forget to save these settings) [Although it looks like this isn't absolutely neccesary in version 0.7.2 it looks like it is for later versions]

3) If you decide to use a later version of vlc don't forget to alter the setting to tell vlc through how many hubs and switches it may go, especially when you are in a network this is important otherwise the signal will never get to your dreambox (forgot the exact name of the setting but you will see it if you select the streaming wizard, don't forget to save your desired setting in the preferences).

Little tip think about firewalls on your pc and of course routers and switches in your network (port 8080 should be enabled)

Furthermore PCD thanks for writing the tutorial on How to stream a DVD from pc to Dreambox it was really, really helpfull. Without it i probably was still trying.

Thanks !!!!!!!!:)

Newinc

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
I still can't get this to work. vlc plugin is installed on my Dreambox and I can get the DVD window up.

On my PC the firewall shows the DReambox is connecting to vlc and the vlc message window shows the DReambox connecting and then disconnecting it (on my PC).

The DVD drive does nothing and there appears to be no outward traffic from vlc.

Ideas? Especially as my "proper" dvd player has just died :)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The setting for number of routers is General Settings > Time to live. a TTL of 3 equals 2 routers.

This link looked interesting but didn't work for me.

The Enigma web interface (STREAM) looked promising and opens up VLC when I click the DVD button but nothing shows up on my Dreambox...

Still trying....