DVD/HDD recorder recommendations?

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
I haven't visited this site in a while. Some time ago, my Diseqc motor packed up mid-travel and I've been too busy to get up on the roof and try to point the dish at anything.

Anyway, I've had a Lidl 160GB HDD DVD recorder for a few years now, the rebadged LiteOn one. It's fantastically simple and intuitive to use, so I've put up with its occasional freeze-ups and crashes. But now its DVD drive has packed up. As a temporary measure I opened the case and installed the drive from my old PC. It works but doesn't look pretty. I need a new recorder.

So yesterday I bought a replacement Toshiba 320GB HDD DVD recorder. But I've already decided to try and return it to the shop. The user interface is badly thought out and over-complicated and annoying. The picture quality of the recorded programs is very poor and the clock keeps disappearing. I don't think I can live with it.

So the question is what other brand should I look at for a replacement? I don't need anything too fancy, mainly I want something straightforward and easy to use. I want to be able to record TV programs to hard disk and copy to and from DVD occasionally.

I've spent this evening downloading and reading user manuals for various different recorders and now I'm more confused than anything else. As far as I can tell, they all suck in one way or another - even the expensive ones.

I was quite tempted by a Panasonic one until I read about the adverts in the Guide Plus EPG. I'm sick to death of being constantly bombarded by adverts so I certainly won't be buying any machine with that feature.

Can anybody suggest a good machine to look at?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Are you looking at one for terrestrial TV or satellite TV - or doesn't it matter!

Simba27

Panthera leo massaieus
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver. Lidl 0.6 LNB. Lidl 80cm dish. Metronic DiSEqC motor. Phillips Freeview box. JVC SVHS Video .Targa 160GB HDD/DVD recorder. 3 x UHF modulators. 6-way Booster/Splitter.
My Location
Uxbridge UK
With a terrestrial tuner and a scart input for the sat box.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Not a recommendation, just an observation. I know that Sony certainly do this type of recorder as I saw one at an auction a few weeks ago.