DVD's from France

My freind at work would like to know if a DVD bought in France & played on a PAL player in the UK would work. I told him that I thought it would play but probably in black & white. Is this correct? I suppose if the recording system on the DVD were compatible, it may output in PAL from the player. I know NTSC is different (525 lines 60Hz etc.) but Secam is closer to PAL.
Regards
Bob

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
On thinking about this and an earlier question with regard to format, I don't think there is any difference at all between the DVDs, they are all MPEG2 as far as I know and I certainly have no problems playing my region 1 (American) DVDs on my all region DVD player.

So the answer should be no problems.

Rolf

Thanks for replying Rolf.
He's keeping his fingers crossed that it will work.
I'll let you know!

Bob.

nobbly

My Location
Not in UK
Hi all.
I'm living in france so i speak from experience...with an english pal tv.
DVD's are recorded in only two formats pal and ntcs and as long as your dvd player has a pal output there will be no problem.
What's good about the dvd's from france is that the language is in english and french so its great if u want to learn french..
better than the dvds from uk unless you speak arabic.

Nobbly

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks for that Nobbly, I thought I was right, but there's always that nagging doubt.

Rolf