My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500 and LIDL Silvercrest SL35
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
Hello there I have an Eagle DM500 and have had it for 7 months without problems.

Yesterday I was watching TV when suddenly picture started losing quality like when the wind moves a bit your position. So I started my usual ritual of moving slightly the motor. It wouldn't settle though it was locking, BER was moving sporadically.

I did drive to zero a couple of times, certain channels were then ok but others were inexistent or with a bad picture.

I reseted - same story.

I pulled the plug and back on and when restarting, the startup screen started changing resolutions (this never happened) and then it started but problem was still there.

I pulled the plug again an back on - bang - green light blinking - no picture.

This morning I switched it on, green light didn't even come on but it was switched on as I could feel the box vibrating.

My dish has a dual LNB with my other TV connected to a LIDL sat. This is working fine.

So what could it be? Power supply? My input is 100-240V Output 12V

Thanks

vinayr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500s
My Location
New Zealand
Have you checked the power supply is actually OK ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dynamo82 said:
Hello there I have an Eagle DM500

There is your problem

The eagle is a very cheaply made Chinese clone box and uses poor quality components.

If you are lucky the power supply has failed. If you are unlucky it colud be a motherboard component.

You have nothing to lose so pop the top off and have a look for bulging capacitors especially around the power supply area.

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
So from your answers I should first go to someone who has another dreambox and check whether mine works with his power supply. If yes I will buy a power supply if no I will open it and check for bulging capacitors.

In the meantime I found these:

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270386868919&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260423360533&ssPageName=ADME:X:AAQ:GB:1123

Thanks for your feedback will keep you posted

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
I did not have time to try another power supply but these are pics of my opened eagle box

Attachments

• bev 009.jpg
    bev 009.jpg
    497.5 KB · Views: 86
  • bev 008.jpg
    bev 008.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 36

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Thoise pics are blurred and no diagnosis can be made from them. Bulging caps are easy to identify.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Sorry but thats just the way the Eagle box is. Cheap Chinese Sh*t that can't power or control a motor properly. I'm sorry to say your problem is the Eagle box :eek:

They also as Analoguesat said are usually cheaply made using sub standard components :(

They are also notoriously bad at operating a motor. I uprated the power supply in mine and it still operated as you have described. I just got shut of it in the end and put it down to bad experience not to go anywhere near them ever again :-doh!

I know your not going to like this but my advice to you is bin it and buy a different box O-no Something like a Technomate TM500 or a Dreambox 600. Both operate motors with very little problems :cool:

I can recommend the new Technomate TM500. Fantastic receiver for the money in my opinion :-righton

And most importantly it can operate a motor :D

:-beer

Nano

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
Seriously in 7 months I have rarely had problems. This the first time this has happened. In fact I was very happy with it and recommended it to my friends.

If new power supply dosen't work I was thinking of buying a DM800 so I have HD what do you think? I have heard that the DM800 gives a lot of trouble though when you have a dish with rotator.

Alternatively I might go for the cheaper alternatives.

In July I will be in Dublin, thought to buy it then as I heard electronics are cheap there.

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
This post should be after my previous post which is subject to moderator checking

BTW no bulging things to my ignorant eye, are the capacitors those black things? They all seem normal and the same size to me.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The caps are the silver topped things with the "mercedes chevron" on the top

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Analoguesat said:
The caps are the silver topped things with the "mercedes chevron" on the top

Analoguesat, you must have unusual eyes if you can see that on those pics, they are out of focus with and without my glasses :)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I know - Ive already commented on the pics - post 6 :D

A nonymous

Reaction score
Hes also had a few drinks which have bought them nicely back into focus :-lmao

Works for me :-doh!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
dynamo82 said:
In July I will be in Dublin, thought to buy it then as I heard electronics are cheap there.
Not a chance, If you were lucky enough to find someone who sells them, they would almost certainly be more expensive than elsewhere in the EU.

I live in Ireland and I import almost everything as regards consumer electronics. After paying E 20 - E40 for postage of small packets, its still cheaper to import. Even on items like a £40 H-H motor.

Example,
A Moteck SG2100 costs about £32 + £20 shipping to Ireland from one of the site sponsers. Thats around E60.

Buy the same thing in Ireland and you are talking E80 + about E20 shipping at the best prices I've seen.

I've found that the best prices on consumer electronics are usually found in the UK (Excluding nobbiest sat receivers) , that's offset slightly by the higher than average shipping costs.

Check the price differences between a few items on argos.ie and argos.co.uk to see what I mean.

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
Hmm thats interesting. What about the rumour I heard that the DM800 has trouble with rotators ? A guy in my country who sells DM800 said "If I sell you a DM800 its without maintenance cause you have a rotator and they are giving us too much trouble"

dynamo82

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish
Dual LNB
Rotator Rotor Sat HH90
Belkin Router
My Location
Sothern europe
OK I solved it!

Went to a shop and he fixed it with his power supply and it worked! phew So I bought a power supply and alls fine.

I told him what you told me re Eagle, he does not sell them but said it is not true and he has just changed a defective power supply of a Dreambox last week.

He sai dreambox is also made in China and Eagle is exactly the same.

Anyhow thanks all for your help