Eastern satellites

Captain Jack

Retired human
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Hi,

What's the most eastern satellite that is possible to obtain in UK? I am looking at 75E for Russian channels - and there's a lot of them - and it seems that it's juuuuust about visible in South East UK. In my position the elevation is a stupid 0.8 degrees(!). Assuming I have the English Channel in the way of the satellite (i.e. nothing), is it in theory possible to receive it?

I am talking about this beam

_http://www.absatellite.net/_images/Northern.jpg

More out of interest than practical reception.

Cheers

CJ

[Unparsed URL - Admin]
 
Might just be possible but you'd need a very clear line of sight. I thought 68.5E was about the furthest from the UK.
 
There have been occasional reports of 72E being picked up in the UK but thats the furthest Ive ever seen mentioned
 
I used to get 72.5 East, with about a degree to go on the mount.

75 East in London is impossible though, owing to the sheer amount of atmosphere the signal has to go through, even with a clear line of site.
 
75E is just possible from the south coast. A couple of years ago when my system was set up I managed some reasonable decodes in the early morning when the air was clear. I've been trying to find the screen grabs but no luck so far, this one shows the 1.2m Precision looking at 75E with its 0.8° elevation just east of Brighton.
 

Attachments

  • 75E.webp
    75E.webp
    49.6 KB · Views: 47
The dish is no longer up, a SW10 lifted it off the flat roof so it's been in my garage ever since gathering dust. Since then I've moved too and can no longer see any further than about 63E, I keep meaning to get it on the bay or part ex it all for a bigger dish.
 
Back
Top