pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
I decieded to get onto the linux ladder with a DM500s
I have done a lot of swotting and keep coming Clones and enigma.
I got my box through DVBmonkey.I am in the process of getting used to the menu system.
In 'info' I find out that it is loaded with the enigma image.I know that all DM500s's are proberbly clones.
So should I be worried.:eek:

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
i would nt be worried ,( d500 clone good learning reciever) just my rule rule is keep away from gemini . pli jade nabilosat ,sif team all have good images run on enigma 1 . its the way forward linux best learn now ( i still am ) .. in reality the box you have bought are basic compared to dm 800 and 8000 in price and in viewing HD and hardives to record ... best of look

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Thanks.leez.
I was having one of my senior moments.
I got gemini and enigma mixed up.I thought that enigma was the bad one
Not used to the linux image names yet.:confused

leez

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
tm 9100 tm 1500 ci dm box 600 1 m dish polar mount 12 inc acuator v box 2 cas 3 dragon diablo gamma
My Location
england
its ok m8 . some versions of gemini you can use ..but to be safe keep away , i had a box from dvb monkey and the clone checker program said it was not a clone ....and silly me put gemini image on by mistake and it killed the box ..the adios amigos came on after a bit ...( sleeping bomb) . keep away thats the only advice i would give .. enigma 1 is the base software your reciever works on , i think the hd boxs run on enigma 2 ... the images you add run on these . and then emus come into play cc cam etc ...you will get their m8 ..

A nonymous

Reaction score
Any version of Gemini prior to and including Gemini 4.3 are safe :D

Any version of Gemini after 4.31 contain the time bomb and are a no go :-Nooo

The best images to go for are the MaxVar ones as they use less space allowing you to do more things with the receiver :D

On the 500s boxes i have had i have usually gone for SIF or EDG Nemesis images and have had very little problems :toke:

The only word of warning is that if you are intending to get a motor you may well also have to get another receiver as the 500S is notoriously bad at operating a DISEqC motor :mad:

:-beer

Nano

pontiend

Contibruter
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
south yorkshire
Thanks lads.
Got it. I'm on my way. Enigma, is the operating system.
The dish is fixed at the moment.I have set the dish and dm up at the bottom of the garden.Something to pass the time with.Now that my main system is set up i'm getting bored.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
nanochickin said:
Any version of Gemini after 3.41 contain the time bomb and are a no go :-Nooo

Doesn't 4.3 come after 3.41 or do the numbers work in reverse for this scheme? Or is this an observation test :confused:)

A nonymous

Reaction score
Doesn't 4.3 come after 3.41 or do the numbers work in reverse for this scheme? Or is this an observation test

Nope your right i just type to fast and didn't proof read it:-lmao

Adjusted accordingly now :-lol

Past experience i have had with DM 500s boxes & Eagleboxes are that they don't work particularly well with any motor if your cable run is more than 10 meteres.

The ones i had were a waste of time on both my SG2100a & SG2200 motors. When it could be bothered to move the motor it usually tried to park it into the wall :-lmao

I have never had this problem with any other Linux box, just the 500s and clones.

Even my TM500 & TM9100 don't have any problems with the motor :D

zxsat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM500-s
My Location
Portugal
For a genuine DM500s the Gemini maxVar images work very well, I've just updated mine to 4.6.0.
AFAIK Enigma is the user interface that is used in several images, Gemini included.

On the initial setup, this image asked me if I wanted to use gotoXX, so I think it's supported now.
However, the power supply of the 500s is a bit on the week side, so most people have problems with motors with long cable runs.

I only have a 4x dieseq so I don't have any experience with motors and can't help.

A nonymous

Reaction score
Thats the problem, DVBMonkey only sell clones :confused

If you put the newest version of Gemini on it it will brick it faster than you can say "Adios Amigo" :D

I wouldn't put Gemini on an of my boxes even if you paid me to. The Gemini team are a bunch of low life scumbags in my book )(-red

When they introduced the timebomb they knew exactly what they were doing. They cannot be trusted and should be boycotted :toke:

4.6 worked well on my old Ipbox though. I don't mind installing it on a non Dreambox as i see it as a bit of a kick in the teeth for Team tosspot.

There are other images available which in my book are better than the ones Gemini come out with anyway.

:-beer

Nano

Wermland59

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echosat 9950(x)
Nokia 9802s 9802s 9780s 9602
samsung 9500 via EM
Next 2000x cis
My Location
Skandinavia
For me the 500s clone works great with motor no problemo :=)

newcastleman32

Reaction score
Wermland59 said:
For me the 500s clone works great with motor no problemo :=)

me too my little 500s clone grafts on a dish no problem ,mind im on 7 m cable max ,,,,,,, but it well up to the job not a single issue here , ok 1 gripe the dish signal strengh meter in box or images is poor and no help...
But yes what best protection other then to keep away all together from that Gemini images all together

newcastleman32

Reaction score
or
if you like a bit of jam on your crumpets and you know their is a problem with a batch of jam that if placed on will cause pain , grief ,distress , financial loss.
Why fanneh on looking for what batch numbers safe and what's not
It just takes the author of an uploaded image to make error in naming a file versions from searched sites and ur box becomes a swimming aid black box for diving and retrieval lessons

just change jam brands mate,,,,, best be safe