Enigma1 Audio Streaming over the Internet

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
(NB. I previously posted these files in the DM7000 section but have slightly simplified things and now make them available for any Enigma1 Dreambox)

Hi All,

When I'm not at home, I use my laptop as a 'sort of' portable radio with all the Satellite radio stations (and the audio of all the TV stations) on my Dreambox available wherever I am located (so long as I have an internet connection!).

I have streamed Audio and Video round my LAN using VLC for a long time but it is only recently I have streamed audio over the internet. My broadband upstream bandwidth (256Kb/s) is too slow for video without recoding but audio is fine straight out of the Dreambox!

To do this I set up DynDNS to point to my home internet IP and used 3 Mobile Internet on my laptop but soon found that my Enigma1 Dreambox DM7000S sends its Local LAN IP in the audio.pls file that should start the stream. This, of course, works fine when at home over the LAN but has no meaning when sent to a remote location over the internet. What is needed is the DNS from my DynDNS account.

To solve this problem I wrote a Linux Shell Script and later a Windows Batch File to auto edit the received audio.pls file and change the LAN IP to the DynDNS.

If you have tried internet audio streaming from an Enigma1 Dreambox and failed for this reason, then try using my script/batch file. The script/batch file MUST be edited to suit your Dreambox LAN IP and your DynDNS before it is installed on your PC/Laptop. How to do this and installation instructions are in the 'readme' file contained in the ZIP.

Download the ZIP appropriate to your PC/Laptop OS (Windoze or Linux), extract the files from the ZIP and then open the readme with a text editor. Follow the instructions and you'll soon have a remote/portable Satellite Radio Player!

Please ask if you have any questions or problems.

Best wishes, John.

Attachments

• vlcplsed11_linux.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 79
  • vlcplsed11_win.zip
    22.9 KB · Views: 133

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
Thanks for your efforts john :)

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
My favorite radio stations web stream has been dropping off a lot lately, so I decided to try out your method of automatically editing the audio.pls file to insert the dynamic DNS name.

It works a charm and saves the hassle of manually fiddling with the file.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Compufunk,

I'm glad you found it useful.
Which version did you use (Windoze or Linux)?
Was it easy to get it working?
Do you think the instructions are adequate for the average user?

I had begun to think that no one (but me) would ever use it!

Best wishes, John.

BTW: Radio Station 'Sunshine Live' is far easier this way than using their internet stream!

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
My Location
NW, Ireland
John,
I used the windows version and had it working in a few minutes, the instructions easy enough to follow.

I had a bit of time on my hands today, so I wrote a little batch file to automate the installation.

It will prompt you for your DNS and IP settings and write them to the other batch file. It also copies the files to ?:\windows and sets up the file association.

All you need to do is now tell firefox/IE to use the vlcplsed.bat batch file by default.
Code:
@echo off
setlocal

:: Copy the required files 
copy /y .\vlcplsed.bat %systemRoot%
copy /y .\gsar.exe %systemRoot%
copy /y .\cmdow.exe %systemRoot%

:Step1
::Prompt user for Dreambox IP and DNS name.

set OK=Y
cls
set /p DreamIP=Please enter your dreambox IP address:
echo.
set /p DNSname=Please enter your DNS name:
cls
echo "Please check that the following is correct."
echo.
echo Dreambox IP: %DreamIP%
echo DNS name   : %DNSname%
echo.
set /p OK=If you need to change the above type N, otherwise type anything and hit enter:
If "%OK%"=="N" goto Step1
If "%OK%"=="n" goto Step1
cls

:: Modify vlcplsed.bat so that it has the correct DNS and IP.
gsar -s"192.168.0.24" -r%DreamIP% -o %systemRoot%\vlcplsed.bat 
gsar -s"dreamdns.homelinux.net" -r%DNSname% -o %systemRoot%\vlcplsed.bat
echo.
echo DNS and IP settings updated.
echo.

:: DO the file association stuff
set BatchPath=%systemRoot%\vlcplsed.bat

assoc .pls=
assoc .pls=VLCAudio
ftype VLCAudio=%BatchPath% %1
echo.

echo file association stuff done.
echo.
echo.
echo You can now delete the instalation files when you are happy that everything is OK.

Pause
endlocal

Attachments

• install.bat.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 70

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi compufunk,

Thanks for that and for attaching your installation batch file.:)
Now people can choose to install the manual way, as per my instructions, or instead use your automated way.:-righton

It's important for people to note that your automated batch file installer is for Windoze only!;)

However the manual Linux installation is quite easy anyway.:cool:

Best wishes, John.

hungary2006

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX 7025+
My Location
Suomi
td03-5 said:
(NB. I previously posted these files in the DM7000 section but have slightly simplified things and now make them available for any Enigma1 Dreambox)

Hi All,

When I'm not at home, I use my laptop as a 'sort of' portable radio with all the Satellite radio stations (and the audio of all the TV stations) on my Dreambox available wherever I am located (so long as I have an internet connection!).

I have streamed Audio and Video round my LAN using VLC for a long time but it is only recently I have streamed audio over the internet. My broadband upstream bandwidth (256Kb/s) is too slow for video without recoding but audio is fine straight out of the Dreambox!

To do this I set up DynDNS to point to my home internet IP and used 3 Mobile Internet on my laptop but soon found that my Enigma1 Dreambox DM7000S sends its Local LAN IP in the audio.pls file that should start the stream. This, of course, works fine when at home over the LAN but has no meaning when sent to a remote location over the internet. What is needed is the DNS from my DynDNS account.

To solve this problem I wrote a Linux Shell Script and later a Windows Batch File to auto edit the received audio.pls file and change the LAN IP to the DynDNS.

If you have tried internet audio streaming from an Enigma1 Dreambox and failed for this reason, then try using my script/batch file. The script/batch file MUST be edited to suit your Dreambox LAN IP and your DynDNS before it is installed on your PC/Laptop. How to do this and installation instructions are in the 'readme' file contained in the ZIP.

Download the ZIP appropriate to your PC/Laptop OS (Windoze or Linux), extract the files from the ZIP and then open the readme with a text editor. Follow the instructions and you'll soon have a remote/portable Satellite Radio Player!

Please ask if you have any questions or problems.

Best wishes, John.

Hello,

Many user concurrent can DreamBox handle when streaming over the internet?

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi hungary',

Sorry but using this method it's only one.

You would need a multi-user server/stream, on a PC, to share it with more. However you could still only listen to one station at a time.

This way is simple and suits me. To share it round the factory I use an FM Sender and FM radios to listen.

Hope this answers your question.

Best wishes, John.

hungary2006

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX 7025+
My Location
Suomi
td03-5 said:
Hi hungary',

Sorry but using this method it's only one.

You would need a multi-user server/stream, on a PC, to share it with more. However you could still only listen to one station at a time.

This way is simple and suits me. To share it round the factory I use an FM Sender and FM radios to listen.

Hope this answers your question.

Best wishes, John.

Yes, thanks. It answer my question.