Equipment for satellite installer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie looking to start up in this industry
My Location
London
Just out of curiousity I have been looking on the net for the right equipment but with so many different models to choose from I am lost so was hoping you experts could point me in the right direction.

I have been looking at meters and really don't have a clue!

Ladders not sure what height I should get?

Drill I have seen a nice b&d I liked but don't think it is suitable.

Last but not least a safety harness! Think I am ok on this one actually!

So if you could recomend me on the above I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

Mark

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Installation tools required for sky installs:

>Double or Triple Extension ladders to BS-EN131
> Single section roof ladder
>Safety Harness and ropes
>24v SDS Drill, drill bits 8mm x 450mm 10mm x 450mm 10mm x 160mm, 10mm x 1000mm
>Alignment meter (Horizon seem a fairly good satellite meter for a starter), See _http://www.horizonhge.com/products_digi_sat_hdsm_usb.html
>A selection of hand tool and spanners.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Regarding ladders, get what you feel comfortable with, both in reach and weight.

I have a set of Youngman trade triple section ladders 13 rungs per ladder, equivalent to the 12 rung modern version, mine are slightly closer together and slightly wider. I'm looking for a second set (I gave my narrower set of Youngmans to my brother in law), but want them with section locks which mine don't have. I bought an extending roof ladder, as I was finding that my single was too short for many rooves, they are however quite heavy to manoeuvre.

Don't skimp on your drill, I have a Bosch GBH and love it, this one has been going for around eight years and still works well, my very first drill (Atlas Copco) was horribly under powered and I needed to upgrade after a year or so.

Safety harness and ladder fixing kit can be bought as a package from wholesalers like Alltrade, or direct from one of the safety companies.

The meter is probably the most crucial piece of kit, worth spending some money on, although even if you buy a budget model to start off with, they normally have a reasonable second hand value. Do you plan to do aerials as well? If you do, then to buy a meter with terrestrial digital capabilities takes you up to another level.

Oops too slow, was trying to do three things at the same time, Paul beat me to the tape.:)

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
Ok this is what I have found are they good prices?

10.2m TRIPLE EXTENSION LADDER BSEN131 TRADE EXT GBX340 £115

4.5m Single section roof ladder £89

BRITANNIA SUPER SAFETY HARNESS + LANYARD + KARABINERS £65

BOSCH GBH 24V SDS PLUS HAMMER DRILL 2x 2.6ah NiMH - NEW £250

Horizon Digital Satellite Meter USB Plus- Brand New
£350

Ok this is what I have found so far quite expensive but well woth it! I do have a few of my own tools which i am preety sure is sufficent.

Rolfw I will do terrestrial to mate as long as the work is there I will bw there to do it!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not sure whether the roof ladder will be long enough, my single is just over 14ft and comes up too short on quite a few jobs, also not a lover of the box aluminium hooks, they have a lot of give, great from braking clay tiles and slates as you put weight on the ladder and the whole thing drops.

The harness looks good, but you'll need some other kit as well, such as ropes, a cow's tale and some ladder straps and eye bolts. I also use a ladder mate and microlite standoff.

The second kit down on this page has most of what I have: _http://www.county-safety-services.com/_docs/kits.htm

Digital terrestrial work will require a meter, probably more important to have a good one than on satellite installations.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Always used Lansford Access.

Trade or Industrial ground ladders: _http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_alloy.htm

Single or two section extending roof ladders : _http://www.ladders-999.co.uk/ladders_roof.htm

HSE roof ladder kit, comes with the standard ladder in £256+vat (shop around): _http://www.county-safety-services.com/_docs/kits.htm

SM

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
For a budget meter, I would not recommend the Lacuna MK4 The battery life is rubbish, it can't identify the satellite and doesn't give absolute dB uV readings. I did try out a SWIRES DIGISCAN-007 at Alltrade and it looks like it wouldn't be a bad buy for around £300 to £400, with spec anal.

I use a 6kg sds drill (mains) that cost about £40, it does the job and goes through brick like butter, bit of a pain being tethered to a cable though, but it's cheap.:-rofl2

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
So a longer roof ladder!
A better harness kit. But £250 seems alot!!
Drill is good. Dont mind looking for 1 that is a little cheaper tho.
Meter is good and I am happy with the price.

All in all I would be looking to spend £800 on tools and accessories!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The harness kit isn't better, nothing wrong with the harness you mention, but on its own it is worthless, you need the relevant ropes and accessories.

Don't go cheaper drill wise, a false economy and although Robbo gets away with a corded drill, it will become increasingly more impractical the busier you get and could be a problem when on building sites.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
SDS Bosch24v and Ryobi24v.

_http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-323189/ryobi-crh-240re-24v-sdsand-rotary-hammer-drill.html

UK Sat Online

Supporting Advertiser
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Hd
2mb sometimes works broadband but most of the time is faulty
1.2metre dish with technomate 6800 sitting in shed will go up a some point
My Location
wirral
i will be getting rid of my horizon in the next couple of weeks it has done me well and earned me enough lolly but im upgrading to a specy. if all you want is domestic satellite ie sky european and motorised its all good. but not so good for irs systems. i use the same type but aerial version as well that is also very good for domestic

these meters are entery level pro meters and new will cost you new about £600-£700 or for a about £1000 you can get a rover st2 specky £2000 rover st4

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I use a double set of roof/ridge ladders, as the van is too small for a single span, and a worn - flexible - motorcycle tyre 110/90x18) that can be put under the lower supports of the ladder to spread the load - especially after Christmas.

And, my twopence worth.

Grippy gloves for all work above gutter level (in this weather the insulated ones)
Draper combination open end/ratchet spanners in 10, 11, 12, 13 15 and 17mm.
A good tool pouch (and a soft synthetic belt) with separate hammer holster.
Trousers, preferably rip-resistant with knee/calf pockets.
Indoor shoes - never wear them outside, ever.
Good, light waterproofs
Even better steel toecaps, Timberlands are my choice of weapon and are down to 88 quid in the sales at the moment. They can last three years and dont mind the odd spin in the washing machine.

A washable blanket that you can throw under any place you might drill a hole, and then shake outside.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
@Rolfw - you haven't mentioned the ladder ground supports

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd get you started with some basic H&S.

.. Now...take your time and look carefully... can you see anything wrong with this picture, and if so.... can you list the points you think he might just be getting a BIT WRONG ... 1) 2) 3) etc......or... a) b) c)..........

(apart from the fact he's a roofer and not an installer- that doesn't count....... but probably explains it).

Attachments

• idiot on the roof.jpg
    idiot on the roof.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 178

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yep, mentioned my laddermate in the earlier post.:)

A nonymous

Reaction score
OK i'll give my two peneth here

As Rolf & Satelliteman has said you can't go wrong with a Bosch GBH 24v. I find mine useful as you can sling it so you can just throw it round your neck when your climbing up the ladder.

I also find an SDS nut runner a good idea to tighten up the wall bolts. Using your drill is definitely faster than using a spanner.

I use 3 different sets of ladders , 11 rung, 13 rung and 15 rung. I get the most use out of the 13 rung ones, the 11s are too short if your working on flats, ok upto the second floor though and the 15 rung ones are too heavy and only useful if your going past the 3rd floor.

A ladder stand off bracket and Ladder spurs are also a good idea

With regards to safety gear you will need a 20mm eye bolt and a 5 meter ratchet strap to tie your ladders to the building, this also takes all the flex out of the ladder when your climbing it.

You will need a rope to BS standard, a rocker, at least 4 lanyards, 3-4 karabiners and a good safety harness. I find the front fastening ones are the best as they are useful when working off a ladder if you need both hands :-rofl2

I got mine from Screwfix if i remember rightly. Its a snazzy bright orange and yellow one :-rofl2

Oh yes and dont forget an Expandable Shock Absorbing Lanyard, very useful when you fall off a ladder

With regards to meters, i use a Rover DM16C Digimax which i think is the dogs danglies but unfortunately you won't get much change out of £2500 for a new one :eek:

Mind you the older Rover DL4 aren't bad if you can get hold of one.

As for the roof cat ladders a two piece ladder with lockable brackets is definately the way to go.

:-beer

Nano

fantom007gr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DREAMBOX 7000
My Location
GREECE
try to get the best equipment
there is an expresion :the most expensive is cheaper.
also have in mind that the customers they will junge you from the equipment you will have.
try to brake the avereage score.
they will advertize you farther.
this from an old dog.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
As a matter of interest, does anyone here use "C" section ladders?

kenny1234

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Motorised ASC 1.2m,1224 Supermount with C120 Invacom Quad LNB with Matched Feedhorn.
My Location
Scunthorpe
If your planning to subbie your prob gonna need a Pda for them to download your routes to you

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
London
WOW I am now getting spoilt for choice!! I am like a kid in a sweet shop! To be honest I would like to spend no more than £800. Bearing in mind I am new to this so don't think I will need the dbs equipment straight away!