Essex
It's not advice fella, just fact.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie looking to start up in this industry
My Location
London
image said:
You can make money doing this, but not if you like doing a decent job; the only one's making good money from subby work are cowboys.

So saddle up pa'dner!

Serious question How many jobs would you do in a day if they were to be done correctly?

Also how many can you do in a day your way?

Last question what is the difference you can earn?

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Usenet, WDTV, and a TV
My Location
Essex
Heathrow Newbie said:
Serious question How many jobs would you do in a day if they were to be done correctly?

Also how many can you do in a day your way?

Last question what is the difference you can earn?

If I'm doing decent installs (i.e: how the customer wants it, not the quickest way for me) and on hieghts codes which is where it pays, maybe... 5/6.
You might be faster, or slower than me though.

There's no absoloute figure, as there's a guy that works on our firm manages all of 3/4 installs per day on standard codes, which is s**t, and there's also a guy that takes out 15 on hieghts and gets 'em done solo, which means he's on fairly serious dough, but he usually gets at least two damage claims per month as well.

Personally I'm in the middle, so I'll do between 8-12 per day as part of a two man team.
Put it this way, I have 3 single box/1double box installs & 2 service calls tomorrow, so I'll be on my way home for 2pm bar a disaster.

I also can't say definitively how you'll earn, since it depends on how your firm pays, and how apt you are at the job.

8 HD heights installs gets me approx £300, same amount on standard codes means I've lost about a ton.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Newbie looking to start up in this industry
My Location
London
image said:
If I'm doing decent installs (i.e: how the customer wants it, not the quickest way for me) and on hieghts codes which is where it pays, maybe... 5/6.
You might be faster, or slower than me though.

There's no absoloute figure, as there's a guy that works on our firm manages all of 3/4 installs per day on standard codes, which is s**t, and there's also a guy that takes out 15 on hieghts and gets 'em done solo, which means he's on fairly serious dough, but he usually gets at least two damage claims per month as well.

Personally I'm in the middle, so I'll do between 8-12 per day as part of a two man team.
Put it this way, I have 3 single box/1double box installs & 2 service calls tomorrow, so I'll be on my way home for 2pm bar a disaster.

I also can't say definitively how you'll earn, since it depends on how your firm pays, and how apt you are at the job.

8 HD heights installs gets me approx £300, same amount on standard codes means I've lost about a ton.

So all your money is in height work? Is that £300 split between 2 of you or just for you?

Are you finding it busy even though this country is in economic down turn?

smity

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+
Siemens laptop
My Location
Stoke on Trent
Hi guys,

As a newby too the forum i have found this a very interesting read, i have just been made redundant from my company 2 days ago where i have been doing DSO work and have now been pushed into going it alone.

I am sky accredited and 1 assesment away from my full RDI and just gathering all the equipment to get started so any help would be much appreciated.

If anyone has any second hand gear they want to sell please get in touch, i am looking at doing some subbying but also trying to start a private business doing aerials and fixed dish's

Bits i need

Possibly 10m triples
double cats
css kit (does anyone know where you can buy the ropes serperate)
Meter's (nothing too flashy but where you get enough info)
Ladder stand off

If anyone has any wise words or can give me info on how subbying works that would be great.

Big thanks in advance :-HoHo

tec4153

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Worked on IRS systems for many years and install domestic Aerials and Sky with a tec number!! I have my own Rover DM16c specky and know what it can do!
My Location
Bradford
Hi guys new to the site,

I work on domestic Aerial & Sky now and always believe that your tools are you!! I work to a high standard with H&S at the top of my list so a good Harness and long rope 15m & 6m with a rocker (one for main tripples and one for roof ladders). Eye bolt and 10m strap x 2. Plus a stand off not only to stop top slipping but saves cash on broken gutters!

You need around here at least a 14 rung ladder trips with a Halo Bar at bottom prevents sinking and levels out ladders. Keep spurs on the van for the awquard gardens best to have and not need and need and not have!!

I always use a stack strap (you can make one for about £80 and takes the edge off putting the last corner on a lashing kit.) also you need a small 2m strap to lash your roof ladders to your tripple ladders.

For the Job a must have for me is a 10mm and 13mm sds socket or make one (get a well used 10mm short bit and weld a old socket to the end! simples) also a 10 & 13mm ratchet spanner a Bosh drill with 2/3 bats and drill bits. I have a Horizon usb Sat meter (for sale) and a Rover DM16c that is the dogs.

I have a Snickers vest with the extra 2 pouches and hammer holder.

I have more than you need in H&S for sale and equipment ladders ropes bungs give us a shout

[fieldset=Admin]email address removed as it is contrary to the forum rules[/fieldset]

D

deleted

Heathrow newbie 2 most important things you will need after purchasing your equipment and before thinking of installing anything is, 1/ public liability insurance 2/ special heights certificates 1/2 and 3 and dont forget highviss and hardhat with chin strap, i personally would not use any drill other than 36v cordless sds with shoulder strap, makita /bosch etc. cord drills in wet weather are not appropriate and dangerous. you dont want HSE on your back. Good luck.