redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
DM 500 & DM 800HD, Vu+ Duo,
Digital+, Sky+, TDT, Saorview
My Location
Dublin
Bit of a technical question here as regards a setup for a dreambox.

In one bedroom there is an internet router connected to a D800.

If I was to buy a Netgear ethernet plug extender and fit it in the living room (too far away from bedroom to run cable) and then run an ethernet wire from that to a second dreambox should that work?

I know its a bot off-topic but didnt know were else to post!

Thx

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
You mean using the house power line? Should be OK providing the rooms are on the same ring main - they aren't always up to scratch speedwise on separate ring circuiits.

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Llew said:
You mean using the house power line? Should be OK providing the rooms are on the same ring main - they aren't always up to scratch speedwise on separate ring circuiits.

Yes the house power line.

All I want is to be able to hook up another dreambox and be able to run a cardshare.

So if they are on the same line it should be ok ?

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Llew said:

Actually just found out there that the sockets upstairs are on a seperate fuse to the sockets downstairs.

Two different fuses - one for upstairs and one for downstairs.

Will the ethernet extender plug still work for the dreambox ?

The only use of this extender will be for the dreambox and cardshare - nothing else.

EDIT: Just spoke with Linksys tech support and they said it will work regardless of upstairs/downstairs once they are both on the same phase.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
I was just going by my experience of these devices. Mine's are Devolo units for a PC working off a seperate ring's spur in my garden shed, just for the internet. Maybe you'll be OK (as long as the wiring's 'clean' - no extraneous noise from other equipment on the line).

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM600 Official, DM500S Clone, Linux MythTV, Nova-T USB2 Stick, Nova-S-USB2 Tuner, S*y Subs, TRex -CAM, Satelco EasyWatch PCI DVB-S + CI Interface
My Location
West Midlands, England
I use Powerline ethernet to stream video from the dreambox to other devices on my network, so can confirm it works well (better than wireless). I've also CCCam CS also works across it. As far as the network layer is concerned, the link is transparent and is basically like any other cat5 type cable.

Mine does work through different ring mains at around 128mbps (Devolo Powerline AV) without difficulty, but they do say if it doesn't work and you have two plugs near each other, on the different rings, you can 'jump' the gap with an ethernet cable.

If you're only doing CS though, you should find wireless acceptable - its relatively low bandwidth. Streaming is where I find wireless falls over, but Ive just about managed to resolve this with a meshed G network. N may be better, but non of my networking supports N.

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
Digital.Diablo said:
I use Powerline ethernet to stream video from the dreambox to other devices on my network, so can confirm it works well (better than wireless). I've also CCCam CS also works across it. As far as the network layer is concerned, the link is transparent and is basically like any other cat5 type cable.

Mine does work through different ring mains at around 128mbps (Devolo Powerline AV) without difficulty, but they do say if it doesn't work and you have two plugs near each other, on the different rings, you can 'jump' the gap with an ethernet cable.

If you're only doing CS though, you should find wireless acceptable - its relatively low bandwidth. Streaming is where I find wireless falls over, but Ive just about managed to resolve this with a meshed G network. N may be better, but non of my networking supports N.

That sounds positive - I am looking at the Devolo dLAN Wireless extender as I think it will allow me to take a wired ethernet connection off the plug to the dreambox aswell as a wireless connection from the same plug which could come in very handy especially if I get a D8000 in the future. The CS as you said is low bandwidth so hopefully it works.

D

deleted

for a cheaper way cat5 how far is l/room to b/room max cat5 run at 100mbps is 100yds, otherwise ethernet adapter will work fine through phases.

haggar11

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm7020Si +DM500+ TM600+ Cable receiver. 1.1 Triax, 90cm mesh Sm3500 Sat Meter,
HP DC7900 with DVB-S2 and AV to USB, 22" and 17" monitors!
My Location
London
why cant you go wireless!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
haggar11 said:

Certainly an option if he has a wireless router otherwise the powerline adaptor will work very well

redout

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1M Dish with Motek 2100,
My Location
Dublin
haggar11 said:

Topper said:
Certainly an option if he has a wireless router otherwise the powerline adaptor will work very well

The wireless was not really an option as I have my router in the attic and the signal in the living room two floors below is quite poor.

On some occasions the laptop would drop the signal so I dont think the wireless was really feasible.

FoxForceFive

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800s
My Location
Liverpool
Is any kid of cabling unacceptable? The reason I ask is ribbon cat5 cable is available that runs through tiny gaps & under carpets, door frame etc, a much more stable & cost effective option should it be viable.

D

deleted

wireless is dodgy as its only 54mbps and can have a lot of interference with microwaves in the home, and not very good for streaming , where cat5 is 100mbps and is sheilded cable max run 100mtrs use external for less run and quicker