Eurovision 2008 Song Contest

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Tonight the Eurovision 2008 song contest will be broadcasted all over Europe and the Middle East.
I used to enjoy it a lot, but over the past several years with the addition of so many new countries, it has become less enjoyable, at least for myself.
It is flattering to hear most of the songs are either in English or they just add few lines in English.
I just wish that they would sing their songs only in their own national language and be proud of it, instead of trying to win few points with a line or two sung in terrible English accent.

Several channels on Hot Bird 13E broadcast this event, but I found that the best picture and sound quality is from the German channel ARD Das Erste.
One thing I don't understand till now is why Italy stopped participating in this event over the past many years. Were they unhappy because they didn't win in a certain year and therefore decided to boycot it or what?
They really had some of the best songs in the sixties and the seventies.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Looks like there are two reasons:

1) a lack of interest from RAI

2) according to wikipedia:

"A few years back, when Italy came in a terrible position with a song and performance by one of their most treasured singer-songwriters, Enrico Ruggeri, they took their ball and well home, refusing to play with Eurovision any more. They accused their fellow broadcasters of catering to the masses' lack of musical sophistication and of politicized voting."

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Can't blame them, but then I think you can take the whole thing a little too seriously. I think we should try to sent the worst act we possibly can get away with, and on that basis we're doing quite well! 0 point? Yes please, it's a badge of honour :p

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks. I think they were right and things just get worse every year.:)
Give me San Remo Song Festival anytime instead of this fiasco.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I predict another eastern European victory again this year - with the UK down in the bottom five.....

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Unless there is a two headed transvestite wearing a ridiculous horror outfit, that would surely win it ;-)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
Unless there is a two headed transvestite wearing a ridiculous horror outfit, that would surely win it ;-)

And they accuse the masses of lack of musical sophistication :-rofl2

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'll be watching, unmissable in my opinion. :)

Unfortunately our entry is dull as ditch water, the guy is a good singer, but the song has nothing going for it, can't do worse than last year's ridiculous retro offering though. . . . . . .Or can it? ;)

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
Watchin it now on my Humax in HD. Is my amp bollocksed or have they cocked up the Dolby Digital signal? All I'm picking up is the vocals. Gettin full surround on BBC1 with same amp.

normsky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
none
My Location
UK
lol. I think they just spotted the problem. seems to have just been corrected.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
Bit boring this year, or am I being too harsh? Bosnia was... different.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There were some quite good songs, didn't think the Russian one was too bad, certainly in the top five, the Greek one was good and from memory Iceland wasn't bad either.

Can't see Wogan doing the job again, as his comments at the end whilst mostly being correct (apart from his view that the UK entry was good), will not be welcomed by the BBC and certainly not by Eurovision.

With regard specifically to the UK entry, I like Andy Whathisname's voice, but the song (in my opinion) was the type that artists use to pad out albums, or put in the middle of a concert when they don't have enough good songs to perform, the type you used to fast forward through on your car cassette player. :-rofl2

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Well another ritual humiliation for the UK with our official placing being last :D

I think there will be some serious examination by the western European countries as to if its worthwhile taking part until the blatant political voting is changed. Austria threw in the towel this year - they wont be the last.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Remembering how boring last year was, I just set my DVR recorder on and watched something else.
Looked in few times during the commercial breaks and wasn't happy about what I saw or heard.
I enjoyed the clips in between the songs. There was some imagination there.
I think that in the future the countries should present their songs ONLY in their native languages, instead of singing in English, as this seems to give them more rating but make the songs less authentic.
If the UK song was in Russian, the group might have gained more points.
My definition of a good song is one that I can hear a thousand times and still want to hear it. Abba's "Waterloo" is just one example.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I'm waiting for someone to produce a voting map, I think the results could be interesting. :)

12man

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
cm120
My Location
sollentuna sweden
who does the commentator on bbc think he is? blabbering during the songs
total disrespect, most artist are doing the best they can and then him bla bla
switched between bbc and local station (swe) to get the subtext on some songs

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Can't remember hearing him talk during the songs, unless it was a slight overlap at the beginnings.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I did like the Estonian singer.