Eurovision Song Contest in Rotterdam

solly

Specialist Contributor
My Location
Tel Aviv, Israel
ebu feed live from roterdam
any feed from ebu on 7e can recoard live feed 4:4:4 format ?
this saterday night
 
I guess you mean 4:2:2 ?
They have used the same frequencies every time, but encrypted, key changes daily:

Eutelsat 7B/C ( 7.0°E )
10967 H 19200
DVB-S2 - 4:2:2 - 8PSK
ID: Philippa 1A
Event: EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2021

Eutelsat 10A ( 10.0°E )
11298 V 19200
DVB-S2 - 4:2:2 - 8PSK
ID: Leonie 2A
Event: EUROVISION SONG CONTEST 2021

To watch 4:2:2 I stream it to my PC and watch it in VLC.
I haven't tested yet if I record it that I can play it back on VLC, but I assume that's possible.
 
Recording right now

vlcsnap-2021-05-19-21h01m49s336.webp
 
Both feeds should be available with a sub 1m dish throughout the whole of Europe and beyond.
 
I’ve always struggled to get these on an 80cm (most years not being able to lock them). There was one year around five years ago where they were much stronger and I did lock them, at least the 10°E version which always seems slightly stronger, but that was also the last year it was in the clear before they started encrypting it in BISS - probably not coincidentally!
 
Does anyone know how to convert 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 so it is playable again on Enigma2 settopbox?
I tried converting the .ts file with VLC to .ts Video - H.264 + MP3 (TS) with deinterlacing filter on.
The result is from a 50 GB file makes a 2.3 GB file with poor video quality and the audiotracks are switched.
When I try to play it on a settopbox it stops after a few seconds.

Handbrake converts it to MKV, but I'd rather want the standard TS-format what Enigma2 uses.
Furthermore I don't know if Handbrake can convert it and what options I should enable.
 
Does anyone know how to convert 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 so it is playable again on Enigma2 settopbox?
I tried converting the .ts file with VLC to .ts Video - H.264 + MP3 (TS) with deinterlacing filter on.
The result is from a 50 GB file makes a 2.3 GB file with poor video quality and the audiotracks are switched.
When I try to play it on a settopbox it stops after a few seconds.

Handbrake converts it to MKV, but I'd rather want the standard TS-format what Enigma2 uses.
Furthermore I don't know if Handbrake can convert it and what options I should enable.

Handbrake is just a GUI using FFMPEG under the hood with some pre-configured options. I've converted one of these 4:2:2 MPEG-TS streams to 4:2:0 using FFMPEG before. I'm not sure Handbrake/another GUI tool have all the options to do the conversion well.

I use it on the command-line in Linux (you can do it under Windows with an FFMPEG.exe), and I don't bother de-interlacing (the Enigma2 box will handle that anyway). It takes a good few hours to transcode on my 7 year old i3 machine -

Code:
ffmpeg -i <4:2:2 file name.ts> -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v high -level:v 4.1 -preset slow -flags +ildct+ilme -crf 18 -c:a aac -b:a 128k <output-file-name.ts>

The -crf value is the same as you can set within Handbrake, higher numbers mean lower file size but poorer quality. -pix_fmt yuv420p converts it to 4:2:0. -preset slow makes the file size smaller by taking a bit longer for maximum efficiency, you can use medium or fast to do it quicker with a bigger file size! -flags +ildct+ilme maintain the interlace flagging in the video metadata, otherwise the video will still be interlaced but not marked and the Enigma2 box (or any player) won't automatically deinterlace - you'll see lots of jagged lines on movement!

The audio settings (codec AAC / bitrate 128k) assume you've just got the 384k MP2 stereo stream in your recording - if you've got the Dolby E stream as well (receivers usually ignore this when recording unfortunately) you can do more complicated processing in FFMPEG to turn it into 5.1 AC3.

The output of that command should be a playable MPEG-TS file in 4:2:0 H264 with AAC audio.
 
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I could try ffmpeg of course.


About the audio, VLC shows this:

1621511731206.png
Stream 1 is the correct audio, Stream 2 just plays a message and Stream 3 is static, Google learnt me that 302M Audio contains information for 7.1 audio? Would be awesome if that can be used for coverting to 5.1 AC3 audio f.e.
 
Does anyone know how to convert 4:2:2 to 4:2:0 so it is playable again on Enigma2 settopbox?
I tried converting the .ts file with VLC to .ts Video - H.264 + MP3 (TS) with deinterlacing filter on.
The result is from a 50 GB file makes a 2.3 GB file with poor video quality and the audiotracks are switched.
When I try to play it on a settopbox it stops after a few seconds.

Handbrake converts it to MKV, but I'd rather want the standard TS-format what Enigma2 uses.
Furthermore I don't know if Handbrake can convert it and what options I should enable.
Wasn't there a plugin with Open ATV that would work playing it through KODI??
 
Thank you for the detailed explanation. I could try ffmpeg of course.


About the audio, VLC shows this:

View attachment 136564
Stream 1 is the correct audio, Stream 2 just plays a message and Stream 3 is static, Google learnt me that 302M Audio contains information for 7.1 audio? Would be awesome if that can be used for coverting to 5.1 AC3 audio f.e.

Stream 3 is the Dolby E! So you have it. S302M is the transport format for Dolby E within MPEG-TS. I think it's usually 8 channels (7.1) with the first 6 being normal 5.1 and the last 2 being a stereo mix - all multiplexed together.

The process for converting that is more involved, you have to first separate the audio from the video, convert it to PCM and then encode using FFMPEG as FFMPEG only gets that it's DolbyE from a WAV/PCM stream.

Then you mux it back together with the video, but it takes a bit of trial and error to get the AV sync right!

Code:
ffmpeg -non_pcm_mode copy -i <video file.ts> -map 0:3 -c:a pcm_s24le -f s24le <output audio filename.wav>
ffmpeg -i <output audio filename.wav>

If the second command gives you an error that the input file contains invalid content, then it's 5.1 rather than 7.1 and you need to do this instead for the first command -

Code:
ffmpeg -non_pcm_mode copy -i <video file.ts> -map 0:3 -c:a pcm_s16le -f s16le <output audio filename.wav>

Then you can re-encode the resulting wav as AC3 or whatever as FFMPEG should pick up that it's DolbyE.

For the 5.1 version (if you had to use s16le) that's as easy as -

Code:
 ffmpeg -i <output audio filename.wav> -ar 48k -c:a ac3 -b:a 448k <ac3 output file.ac3>

For the 7.1 version (s24le) you'll also have to map the channels to just get the 5.1 and ignore the extra stereo pair.
 
Last edited:
Very surprised they haven't switched these to BISS2, given the number of tests EBU has been running for it lately. Only just about able to lock them on my 90cm - the feed on 10E is still a tad stronger than 7E.
 

Attachments

  • 1:0:1:1:4321:0:64AC21:0:0:0:-0010.webp
    1:0:1:1:4321:0:64AC21:0:0:0:-0010.webp
    57.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 1:0:1:1:4321:0:64AC21:0:0:0:-0005.webp
    1:0:1:1:4321:0:64AC21:0:0:0:-0005.webp
    87.2 KB · Views: 32
Biss2 is unbreakable, don't get any of your hopes up!
 
Countdown to Rotterdam has started on Das Erste on 19E
As usual Das Erste will be having its post party show after the main show.
 
Frequency: 11101 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest:Bulgaria voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11107 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest:Cyprus voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11083 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest: Ireland voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11077 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest: Latvia voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11095 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest: Serbia voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11071 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest: Greece voting circuit

Eutelsat 7B - 7C (7.0°E)
Frequency: 11089 - Pol: H - SR: 4937 - FEC: -
Category: Autre
Transmitted in: MPEG-4 crypté
Info: Eurovision Song Contest: Moldova voting circuit
 
Back
Top