Eutelsat 28A switchoff looming

Surprised that many shopping channels have gone to spot beam

They are probably not bothered as larger ones will have similar European operations for each territory plus they are only targeting UK and Irish viewers anyway. I can't see many expats making an international call from overseas to buy something they've seen on QVC although agree there'll be a small few!

Now that some of the smaller channel operators, like CSC and CBS/Chello have channels on the UK spot, they may be able to afford higher quality content as European rights inclusion won't be an issue no longer. Channels like Sony Entertainment and the LTV channels can also drop their FTV encryption to save them money.
 
They are probably not bothered as larger ones will have similar European operations for each territory plus they are only targeting UK and Irish viewers anyway. I can't see many expats making an international call from overseas to buy something they've seen on QVC although agree there'll be a small few!
Not quite correct, for example QVC offer very low shipping rates to Spain from there website even though they dont broadcast on Spanish satellite, they would not do this if there was no market here in Spain. Many people watch the channel then order from the website.
In particular cosmetics, that are not available here, my wife does.
 
Last edited:
the beam tp ove 2e it uk beam or pe beam ?
I don't think any of us know yet what beams the other Eutelsat 28A transponders will use. I would guess the rest from 28A will also switch to UK beam now that we know some have already gone to 2F UK beam.
 
Confirmed loss of channels in Las Palmas.
11307 V
11343 V
11307 H
11344 H

... and all the kids channels also :(
 
Well here in southern parts of Sweden (Motala) 11 307 V/H, 11343 , 11344 H and 12 422 H and also 11 053 H is a lot weaker than the other TP:s on 2F. I even got break up in picture on 11 053 H yesterday during heavy rain. Probably due to the fact FEC is 3/4 on this TP while the others use 2/3 (so far). When 2G is in working order I will probably have to fine tune my equipment and optimize it for 2F. On 2E I have good margin for rain and change of FEC.
I really hope my 1,8 m will get 2G too but one never knows.....
Would a change in SR from 27 500 to 22 000 make it harder to get a lock on a TP or would such change make no difference?
 
Last edited:
Not much, but the FEC and modulation will.
 
Would a change in SR from 27 500 to 22 000 make it harder to get a lock on a TP or would such change make no difference?
That is not going to happen, Astra 2E/2F/2G have 36 MHz transponders in the 11.2...11.45 GHz band, so do not have the "Astra 1" 26 MHz transponder layout to support that.
 
Last edited:
Not much, but the FEC and modulation will.
Definitely. Arqiva have already carried out tests on 11642V a couple of Months back on EB1 using 27.5k SR and FEC 5/6.

Measured the new 2F spots myself last night, 11.344H was giving me 15.7dB C/N using my Triax TD64 & Inverto Quattro in to my home Triax TMP16 multiswitch. I'm in the North West of England.
 
Not quite correct, for example QVC offer very low shipping rates to Spain from there website even though they dont broadcast on Spanish satellite, they would not do this if there was no market here in Spain. Many people watch the channel then order from the website.
In particular cosmetics, that are not available here, my wife does.
In fact QVC is still receivable, other shopping channels moved to spot beam
 
Lyngsat are calling the new 2F transponders TA5 to TA8. Can anyone think what TA stands for?
 
Lyngsat are calling the new 2F transponders TA5 to TA8. Can anyone think what TA stands for?

Probably a new Astra code as Christian will only post what he can confirm.
 
Christian will only post what he can confirm.

I can vouch for that. When I sent Christian details for the UHD demo on 28E, I explained to him I wasn't sure if it was on 2E or 2F. He actually emailed SES to ask before updating his chart.

Lyngsat may be slower at updates than Flysat and KoS, but at least its more accurate.
 
So have we lost SKY channels completely? Mine (in Malta) went out 2-3 days ago. I thought it was just a fault on my LNB
 
So have we lost SKY channels completely? Mine (in Malta) went out 2-3 days ago. I thought it was just a fault on my LNB
It sounds like a different issue as only 4 transponders switched to the UK beam on Monday (mainly shopping channels, a few free music channels, some Asian channels and a couple of Sky SD pay channels like SyFy and Universal). There are some more changes coming up this month but it shouldn't be that drastic, at least not yet...
 
Found this thread from a year ago here.
If accurate, then SES certainly seemed to be playing a game of confidence. I wonder if they have Astra 2e, 2f & 2g set up on 11.2 - 11.45GHz for both their standard band plan plus that of Eutelsat, the former in case one of these birds is required elsewhere?

https://www.satellites.co.uk/forums/threads/astra-2e-2f-2g-frequency-plan-28-2-28-5-east.161813/
Yes I remember that thread well, and more worrying is the fact that it was over a year ago (!). Shame the "Europe only hypothesis" was wrong regarding these new "TA" transponders. ;)
 
Back
Top