Eutelsat 31A has started @ 30.8° East

Just a had a look a see at this Sat and I just managed to get Turksat Tantrim on 11638 H with a 6db signal. I tried yesterday evening
but no go. We are really at the edge of the beam here besides the sat being inclined as well.
 

Attachments

  • Turksat Tantim.webp
    Turksat Tantim.webp
    37 KB · Views: 34
I Finally managed to complete this today.
I do not think that I fully appreciated the precision involved and required. I guess I sort of hoped to move the dish around in the general direction and get lucky but that ended up being a wasted day.

With the help of - http://www.dishpointer.com/ - I was able to obtain the correct Elevation for the satellite from my location. I then downloaded an app called ' Level ' from the app store to set the inclination correctly. Once the correct inclination was set I was then able to locate the Sat with relative ease.

Thanks again for your help
 
Two transponders live here today.
11626H sr 2300
11638H sr 2222.
TBS 6925 100 cm Dish
 

Attachments

  • CNN BURO UYDU_0308 11626_H_2300_20141117_100645.webp
    CNN BURO UYDU_0308 11626_H_2300_20141117_100645.webp
    33.1 KB · Views: 26
I Finally managed to complete this today.
I do not think that I fully appreciated the precision involved and required. I guess I sort of hoped to move the dish around in the general direction and get lucky but that ended up being a wasted day.

With the help of - http://www.dishpointer.com/ - I was able to obtain the correct Elevation for the satellite from my location. I then downloaded an app called ' Level ' from the app store to set the inclination correctly. Once the correct inclination was set I was then able to locate the Sat with relative ease.

Thanks again for your help

Great BigMouse well done :-applause, I did the same when I installed my 1.2 :-doh, I am locking four channels as I type from here, 10960 H 3330 11622 H 5000 11627 H 2300 11637 H 2222.
 
Just managed to get a decent lock on Turksat Tantim on 11637H - finally found something I can get here!
 
Got a different feed today.
12505V 2220 56
TBS6925 100 cm Dish
Edit there could be some confusion with this one.It is said at the front of this thread that it is from 30.5. E. 12505V 2220 is listed at flysat on 30.8 though.
 

Attachments

  • TANASUH 04_0308 12505_V_2220_20141119_111552.webp
    TANASUH 04_0308 12505_V_2220_20141119_111552.webp
    131.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
This map is not accurate:
I live on Portugal and I get almost all frequencys from this high beam.

I guess that applies to all footprints, they are only a guide with a certain amount of accuracy, but 31.5E is not an easy catch in the uk for most of us.
 
Struggling to get any signal at all today. Ive been out tweaking the dish with my meter but just cant find a thing.
There is a large band of heavy rain moving across the Midlands today would that be the reason? If so does that mean every time it rains you might lose your signal?
 
Almost certainly.

I've just had a quick look and Tanitim is coming in nicely. 1m dish, overcast but not actually raining.
 
Struggling to get any signal at all today. Ive been out tweaking the dish with my meter but just cant find a thing.
There is a large band of heavy rain moving across the Midlands today would that be the reason? If so does that mean every time it rains you might lose your signal?

Hi BigMouse, I've never used a meter, I always tune my dishes to a weak transponder like here, try 10964 H 3329 I think its a 4.2.2 feed but a strong signal here in the rain.
 
Struggling to get any signal at all today. Ive been out tweaking the dish with my meter but just cant find a thing.
There is a large band of heavy rain moving across the Midlands today would that be the reason? If so does that mean every time it rains you might lose your signal?


Rain will compound the issue of signal level when the satellite is in inclined orbit. The satellite was centred on the arc at around 11:10AM this morning after which time it started descending below the arc, as I type this reply the satellite is 0.47 degrees south inclined with todays maximum at 0.487 degrees inclined. Its currently close to half a degree south of the arc and with heavy rain that could possibly make signal reception a bit of an issue.

I currently have the Dundalk racing feed on 10969H at 62% signal but I do have partial loss of satellite sight due to an adjacent house wall. Once the satellite bottoms out at the maximum inclination and begins its return path towards the arc the signal strength will increase again.
 
What I have done in the past on a bird that's not drifting too far, like this one, is to stack lnb's on top of each other ;).
 
I wouldn't pile LNBs on top of my bird ............. she'd do her crust.
 
Lol G, from memory I ended up with 3 lnb's stacked and could watch a full game of footy without going outside to move the dish from 3E I think it was at the time.
 
What I have done in the past on a bird that's not drifting too far, like this one, is to stack lnb's on top of each other ;).

I have no idea what that means, but I would like to give it a try. Can you explain or is there a thread to discuss?


Thanks
 
I have no idea what that means, but I would like to give it a try. Can you explain or is there a thread to discuss?


Thanks
Its a low cost & somewhat problematical botch job rather than installing proper inclined satellite tracking on your dish.

You mount 2 lnb's over/under shotgun style stacked one above the other so they are set up vertically instead of horizontally. As the sat drifts off the arc north you switch to the top lnb. As it comes back across the arc heading south you switch to the other one.

31A probably isnt inclined enough atm to make it worthwhile as you would lose an awful lot of the day when the bird is in the dead area between the two.

However if you have time and some spare lnb's you certainly arent going to lose anything doing some experimenting!
 
I cant remember any photos on the forum for this - probably because its a very limited application specifically for feeds on inclined satellites, most folk just arent interested in it.
 
Back
Top