Eutelsat 31A has started @ 30.8° East

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
So I have located this sat and lost it again several times for no apparent reason?? I can be getting a strong signal one minute and nothing the next.
All very frustrating.
With this in mind is it possible to use 2 satellite dishes at the same time both pointed at the same satellite and somehow combine the signal into one?

The satellite is in inclined orbit as has been previously documented. The peak time will not remain constant, it currently gets earlier by approximately three and a half minutes each day. Also the window for peak time will diminish, as the level of inclination increases the satellite signal will be weaker for longer periods.

Currently the satellite is 0.514 degrees inclined, this means that it traverses a path above and below the arc elevation of +0.514 degrees to -0.514 degrees, ie, there is now over one degree of variance. This variance will get bigger with time. If you want to keep a constant lock on the satellite to ensure maximum signal strength at all times then you have two options. Either adjust your dish elevation manually each day, or, install an elevation actuator on your dish.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Do your signals fade out mid afternoon or disappear instantly as if the tp has been powered off. If its the former then its the satellite wandering out of range of the dish. The latter would suggest its been switched off.

It is the satellite wandering out of the range of the dish, the transponders that "BigMouse" wishes to view are still active when the signal is lost.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
A couple of $ football feeds here tonight, i presume biss.
10972 H 7500 Tagged Hartlepool 10985 H 15000 Tagged World feed fa c

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It is the satellite wandering out of the range of the dish, the transponders that "BigMouse" wishes to view are still active when the signal is lost.

I was assuming that - but Ive also learned over the years not to rely on assumptions when trouble shooting someone elses problems :)

BigMouse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.8M Primesat - Dr HD 15
My Location
England
Good news I am now locked on and getting a decent signal........Except when its cloudy.
Blue sky ....strong signal
Cloudy sky .... nothing

With this in mind if I upgraded to a bigger dish 2.3 M from the current 1.8 M would this solve my problem?

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Good news I am now locked on and getting a decent signal........Except when its cloudy.
Cloudy sky .... nothing

With this in mind if I upgraded to a bigger dish 2.3 M from the current 1.8 M would this solve my problem?

That would depend on what 2.3 dish you had in mind also you must not forget that the satellite is moving and this transponder could be gone this afternoon.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Cloudy sky .... nothing

To be sure of constant reception at all times I would recommend a 2.4m motorised dish with inclined orbit tracking, available from the link below.

http://www.elite-antennas.com/motorised-and-tracking-antennas

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
A 1.8 channel master would be a better choice than that dish moonbase, it might be ok for C band but will struggle on ku.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
A 1.8 channel master would be a better choice than that dish moonbase, it might be ok for C band but will struggle on ku.

I think it is more a question of alignment and inclined orbit tracking that is required by "BigMouse" rather than a larger dish. However, if "Big Mouse" wants a Channel Master 1.8m dish I just happen to have one dismantled ready for sale including a 4.5" diameter ground stand and Az/El head mount. I will probably stick it up for sale in the classifieds after taking some photos.

The link I posted to Elite Antennas was intended as a starting point for "BigMouse" to delve further, the page gives links to their other spun aluminium one piece antenna that are suitable for Ku band including 2.4 metre, 3.0 metre etc. Elite Antennas do an "off the shelf" inclined orbit tracking kit suitable for their range of antenna, this could prove useful to anyone willing to pay the cost who is not an avid DIY custom mount modder.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I think it is more a question of alignment and inclined orbit tracking that is required by "BigMouse" rather than a larger dish
True that's why I said he would be better with a 1.8 CM, but I cant see a reason why he should not get it on what he has then again alignment.

I would put Captain jacks name on that dish moonbase

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I would put Captain jacks name on that dish moonbase

I am happy to put CJ's name on the 1.8m channel master dish subject to him being able to afford my exorbitant asking price when I decide how much I can realistically achieve for it :)

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
I am happy to put CJ's name on the 1.8m channel master dish subject to him being able to afford my exorbitant asking price when I decide how much I can realistically achieve for it :)

I guess it will come to price and if he can store it moonbase, I will take a look at your price, I could be interested myself if Alex is not bothered, I will look out for your post :)

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
Wil u tk 50 quid m8?

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
:D

If you do consider selling it, I would potentially be interested if the price is right. I only really need the reflector and the LNB arms as I already have a suitable stand with polar mount on it. But I understand if you didn't want to split them.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
:D

If you do consider selling it, I would potentially be interested if the price is right. I only really need the reflector and the LNB arms as I already have a suitable stand with polar mount on it. But I understand if you didn't want to split them.

CJ,

Definitely not going to split it up, it is a complete 1.8m kit of reflector, LNB arms, 40mm collar, C120 feedhorn, Az/El mount and 4.5" diameter pole ground stand. Splitting renders the other parts obsolete to me as I have no use for them.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Can an admin/moderator please delete my posts about the 1.8m channel master dish in this topic, I should not have placed them in the topic as they have no bearing on the topic title, also delete this request if possible just to tidy up the topic back to its main focus.

Thx

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Can an admin/moderator please delete my posts about the 1.8m channel master dish in this topic, I should not have placed them in the topic as they have no bearing on the topic title, also delete this request if possible just to tidy up the topic back to its main focus.

Thx

Its not doing any harm moonbase don't worry :). if you can find a thread that's not gone of topic I will buy you a pint ;).