Evading the Lanlord No Dish Policy with my arcons and multimo wonders

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
str8 frum da wesside innit?
peaceandlove said:
Just to add my arcon multi cannot take the regular c120 iverto, its an adapted kind hence the high price, unlike my 40cm arcon which takes a regular iverto white c120, the feed horn of my arcon sweety 40cm screws into the lnb hence the iverto has an internal thread in the lnb chamber and the feed horn has extertnal thread. on the arcon multi for some reason its in reverse, instead of the feed horn screwing into the lnb, it screws onto the lnb. my specialy adapted iverto lnb hence has external thread on the outside of the lnb chamber and it screws into the internal thread of the feedhorn, why they have done this i dont know and so far I have only found one supplier of the iverto type lnb at a price.

Oops sorry, crossed posts. Can you explain a bit better what you mean by this? Got any pics? Or a link to that specially customised inverto?

Anway, if you go the clear dish way, I can tell that mine's pretty inconspicuous. Actually, the shadow that it casts on the wall is more blatant than the dish itself :-rofl2

Attachments

• IMG_5909.jpg
    IMG_5909.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_5911.jpg
    IMG_5911.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 78

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Tm3500usb, TM5400usb super, cas3, m2+,Diablo wireless 2.3rev,
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Arcon sweety 43cm for astra1 perched behind window
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Oops sorry, crossed posts. Can you explain a bit better what you mean by this? Got any pics? Or a link to that specially customised inverto?

Anway, if you go the clear dish way, I can tell that mine's pretty inconspicuous. Actually, the shadow that it casts on the wall is more blatant than the dish itself :-rofl2

Thats funny, you got the set up i intend to acheive, how does your technisat dish perform, and would it be possible to change the preset 13E,19E,23E,28E to include 16E rather than 23E, i must say yours looks different it does not have that big fat lnb at the end.
I doubt though if the dish can pick up 16E, how does 23E come through, suppose you cant get Kabel Duetchland.
On the subject of clear dish, yes it does truly look transparent.

when i decide what im doing and take down the arcon multi either to replace or change the lnb ill take a picture of the lnb to show you what i mean. having said that it has just occured to me that the dish came witha working lnb, an acorn .3db one if i remember rightly, in the shape of a mti c120 and it also would the the thread on the outside unlike the traditional mti c120s, ill see if i can find that lnb, i suppose i could simply put this lnb back on to get my vertical frquencies back, but then i lose my feed into my skystar, no ill wait and endure H frequencies only for the next week or two.
ill find that lnb and upload a picture to show you what i mean

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
skystar2 pci skystar usb + porty lidl camping dish maybe one day i'll have a dreambox 500s...
My Location
peaceandlove, you might wanna get in touch with Leee as he's replaced an arcon multi for a clear dish, although it's a 60cm one (that I also have). Honestly I wouldn't have thought it would outperform the arcon but he seems to reckon so... well maybe not

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...llations/93373-my-self-installed-haddock.html

Yeah, my setup was pretty cool! I've now taken it down, but it worked for over 2 years like that. The digidish 45 is a quite spot on kit, it was pointed @ 19.2° receiving also 13° and 28.2°, connected to a spaun 4:1 switch. I didn't get 23°E. To get sats which are that close together (3°) you need to have either a special 3° monoblock or narrow feed lnbs like the famous alps ones.
I've never tried the 45cm on my motor to see what else I could get, but I would say it performs remarkably well, considering I was getting 28.2°E off-centered, but with strong rain that bird would pixelate a lot. Of course, I have the clear motorised dish which also works as back up in that situation so that's not a problem, and I always had 4 satellites in instant zapping :p

Mine's the "plain" digidish 45, not the "multytenne" that has a specially designed lnb for multifeed.

I can pick 16°E with the 80cm dish, but not all transponders though. I used to be able to pick up some 16°E transponders with my porty 37cm dish 3 years ago but I think they cut the power on that bird ever since. I'm in France, not the UK, though, so my experience is only of relative interest to you. :)

Please do brief me on the arcon multi lnb issue, I'm very much interested on it. I've considered getting that dish for my travels as I think it's the best dish for that size but then again i think it's very fragile to carry around, I've had a multimo before and the lnb/feedhorn/subreflector could bend quite easily )(-red

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Stab usualsHH90 driving arcon multi 57cm dish with dual feed ,Skystar2 HDCI, Altdvb, My theatre,vplug, windows xp,
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
peaceandlove, you might wanna get in touch with Leee as he's replaced an arcon multi for a clear dish, although it's a 60cm one (that I also have). Honestly I wouldn't have thought it would outperform the arcon but he seems to reckon so... well maybe not

http://www.satellites.co.uk/satelli...llations/93373-my-self-installed-haddock.html

Yeah, my setup was pretty cool! I've now taken it down, but it worked for over 2 years like that. The digidish 45 is a quite spot on kit, it was pointed @ 19.2° receiving also 13° and 28.2°, connected to a spaun 4:1 switch. I didn't get 23°E. To get sats which are that close together (3°) you need to have either a special 3° monoblock or narrow feed lnbs like the famous alps ones.
I've never tried the 45cm on my motor to see what else I could get, but I would say it performs remarkably well, considering I was getting 28.2°E off-centered, but with strong rain that bird would pixelate a lot. Of course, I have the clear motorised dish which also works as back up in that situation so that's not a problem, and I always had 4 satellites in instant zapping :p

Mine's the "plain" digidish 45, not the "multytenne" that has a specially designed lnb for multifeed.

I can pick 16°E with the 80cm dish, but not all transponders though. I used to be able to pick up some 16°E transponders with my porty 37cm dish 3 years ago but I think they cut the power on that bird ever since. I'm in France, not the UK, though, so my experience is only of relative interest to you. :)

Please do brief me on the arcon multi lnb issue, I'm very much interested on it. I've considered getting that dish for my travels as I think it's the best dish for that size but then again i think it's very fragile to carry around, I've had a multimo before and the lnb/feedhorn/subreflector could bend quite easily )(-red

I read Lees post with interest but he suggests that his arcon is 53cm while mine is 57cm, he also talks about a 80cm clear, i like his set up though, and that bracket set looks very good, but it would not work for me as I have no recess to place the bar, but very nice invention all the same and could be usefull in a different siotuation to mine.

I have attached a picture of the lnb that came with my arcon multi 57cm, its an arcon LNb but very much like the Mti brand except again as you should be able to see there is a tube with thread comming out of the top of the lnb, this screws into the feedhorn, it is the same as my iverto whit dual currently on my arcon, it also has a tube like neck sticking out the top of the lnb, these are different to the regular iverto and mti c120s,
I think you will understand now what ive been trying to explain, its hard to put it in words and for someone to get the picture in their head.
When i ordered the lnb, the shop first rang me to verify if it was for a arcon sweety or an arco multi, they said the arcon sweety takes a regular iverto c120 and is not very expensive, where as the arcon multi they rightly informed me has had to be adapted in order to fit the arcon multi

Attachments

• DSC00064.jpg
    DSC00064.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 62

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Hi,

Thanks for that pic, that definetly makes it clear, although according to your explanation I was imagining something along those lines.

Leee in fact mentions a 53cm dish, but there is no such thing - there's either a 43cm or a 57cm arcon - so he must have got it wrong. He also mentions it being an arcon sweety, but as you can see it isn't, it's the multi.
Yes, he also mentions getting an 80cm dish, earlier on the thread before he got one, but on the later picture I can definetly tell it's a 60cm one. I know because I have both dishes. Did you try to get in touch with him? That would cast away the doubts.

Now, that threaded lnb is indeed bizarre. I didn't know you could get threaded invertos as well. Would you share the contact information of that shop?
One thing I can tell you, and I've only just found out about this yesterday whilst doing some research on a new corean squairsh flatish dish is that there are threaded ring adapters to go on C120 lnbs, I wonder if these would suit the arcon multi. I'll post some pictures later on ;)

guest poster

registered
Reaction score
That LNB is so different... can you put that on the 'LNB in the Raw' pictures section? (you don't have to open it- just show that unusual thread).

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here you go. The antenna is a telefrontier trusat 60cm-ish, it is actually a cassegrain antenna under the flat radome.

_http://telefrontier.com/

Attachments

• threaded adapter single inverto C120 telefrontier trusat.jpg
    threaded adapter single inverto C120 telefrontier trusat.jpg
    476.4 KB · Views: 95

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Here you go. The antenna is a telefrontier trusat 60cm-ish, it is actually a cassegrain antenna under the flat radome.

_http://telefrontier.com/
That threaded adapter looks very intersting, it means one could convert a normal iverto C12o,
Its funny, i have just helped someone align a similar dish to this but it came with a normal lnb and not a c120, secondly, i was not impressed with the dish, was having problems on some transponders on 19E these transponders are perfect on my Arcon 40-cm sweety and my multimo 40cm .
I picked up the lnb from
_http://www.leisurepower.co.uk/
they do not display the lnb, you have to ring up and ask,
taking a second look at the c120 lnb im actualy wandering if its an adaption or is it the same lnb that im using on my Arcon multi.

By the way, ive decided i will go 80cm clear makes much sence

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Are you sure the antenna you were installing for your mate was the exact same one? I would indeed be very interested on a feedback on how that antenna performs. There is another antenna that vaguely resembles that one, except that the radome is not flat, but round, and that one indeed sports a regular lnbf. The first two pictures are from that similar albeit rounder dish, the last one is from the trusat one.

I didn't get what you meant by this
"taking a second look at the c120 lnb im actualy wandering if its an adaption or is it the same lnb that im using on my Arcon multi."
which lnb are you talking about here?

Attachments

• 5558_1.JPG
    5558_1.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 23052008045ce4.jpg
    23052008045ce4.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Sans titre-1.jpg
    Sans titre-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 41

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Are you sure the antenna you were installing for your mate was the exact same one? I would indeed be very interested on a feedback on how that antenna performs. There is another antenna that vaguely resembles that one, except that the radome is not flat, but round, and that one indeed sports a regular lnbf. The first two pictures are from that similar albeit rounder dish, the last one is from the trusat one.

I didn't get what you meant by this
"taking a second look at the c120 lnb im actualy wandering if its an adaption or is it the same lnb that im using on my Arcon multi."
which lnb are you talking about here?

Your right the dish is different and is the same as the one on your attachment with the round bit.
As for me talking about the Lnb, I meant that in your attachment of the flat dish where you show a close up of the lnb with a screw attachment, i cant get a closer enough look at the lnb, and as it looks in your picture, it so resembles the iverto lnb that i have on my arcon multi, but i think you suggest that it is actually some kind of screw cap adaption, which would be brilliant because one could buy the normal iverto and screw the attacment on to it, i think thats what you are suggesting

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Try this pic better then.

YOu can clearly see it's a yellow plate that has the threaded bit on, and that is screwed on the lnb C120 lnb. But the question is, would this specific piece match the threads on your arcon? And if so, where to get this piece? I'm not sure it would be an easy task.

Attachments

• Antenne1.jpg
    Antenne1.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 579_0.jpg
    579_0.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 34
  • Assembly Manual2.jpg
    Assembly Manual2.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 39

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Try this pic better then.

YOu can clearly see it's a yellow plate that has the threaded bit on, and that is screwed on the lnb C120 lnb. But the question is, would this specific piece match the threads on your arcon? And if so, where to get this piece? I'm not sure it would be an easy task.

Thanks for that clarification, it looks like a wonderful peice of kit, I too wonder if the thread would fit the arcon, and also where to get it, if it was not much money i would give it a try

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
On the subject of clear dishes, ive seen to makers metronics and triax, can you offer any advice on which may be better or would they basically be the same, the price also seems the same around £80-£90

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Before getting mine, 2 or 3 years ago I did some digging and it was pretty mind-boggling to find out any infos on the make of those dishes, all I was able to find out is that none of those brands actually makes the dishes, they used to be made by Vector industries which does aeronautics stuff. I don't know if there's other ones making them nowadays. Metronics only put a sticker on the dish.

I can tell though that there are different backplates to those dishes, both on the 80cm and the 60cm. I'll put some pictures later on. Rolfw used to know about this too, as he used to have a clear dish too, and I remember having a chat with him about this. ;)

Are you interested on the 60cm dish? I'm currently selling mine :D

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Before getting mine, 2 or 3 years ago I did some digging and it was pretty mind-boggling to find out any infos on the make of those dishes, all I was able to find out is that none of those brands actually makes the dishes, they used to be made by Vector industries which does aeronautics stuff. I don't know if there's other ones making them nowadays. Metronics only put a sticker on the dish.

I can tell though that there are different backplates to those dishes, both on the 80cm and the 60cm. I'll put some pictures later on. Rolfw used to know about this too, as he used to have a clear dish too, and I remember having a chat with him about this. ;)

Are you interested on the 60cm dish? I'm currently selling mine :D

Thanks for offer but i feel i need to go 80cm as i dont believe the 60cm will be much different to my 57cm,
I am however wandering what is the difference between prime focus and ofset, i thinking prime focus has to hit the satellite direct on and is possibly why i have some problems on receiving thor, for example there are some vertical transponders on thor of which i need to slightly move my dish a few steps to the right using my receiver in order to catch them, its a bit like having to continuely adjust your FM ariel to home into your favourite pirate station, also i know that thor is on 0.8W/1W and i have to hit the centre of these to to receive the best of both which also renders some of my transponders to come through weeker than others.
Im wandering if an ofset may get over this hurdle and may be why lee says he can now pick up astra 2D from where he is, i think the small sized prime focus may have issues where the satellite is made up of more than one satellite example Thor 1W/Intelsat 0.8w and for those not in the astra 2 Foot print there may be issues with astra 2 at 28.2/28.5E thinking the prime focus small size struggles here and posibly this may be where the ofset has an advantage, but i doubt if a normal 60cm from where i live could pick up 16E like i presently can as well as 39E and 42E this is why i need to go 80cm, so i can still maintain these and possibly improve my thor reception, and who knows, i may also be able to receive some Nilesat ~(Wishfull thinking), but at the very least i think i should be able to receive thor with out doing FM style adjustments.

Also noticed that there are some clear dishes with clear backplates and some with normal backplates,
Obviously i want the type with the clear backplate

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Yes, that was I was meant to show you, here you can see different 60cms which are not so transparent as the others :-doh2I know I had a lot of trouble to find one which has the back plate transparent too.

Attachments

• transp.jpg
    transp.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 29
  • transSat.jpg
    transSat.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 128713610001R051_Z.jpg
    128713610001R051_Z.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 38
  • 10951552838553sn6.jpg
    10951552838553sn6.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 33

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
and here are 80cms ones, I've never seen one with a transparent backplate

Actually yesterday I saw this metronic one on ebay, it looks different from the others... :confused

Attachments

• IMG_0175.JPG
    IMG_0175.JPG
    92.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Vignette-22.jpg
    Vignette-22.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 0250_1.JPG
    0250_1.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 40
  • armhalfup.jpg
    armhalfup.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 42

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Regarding your setup: I'm not sure what difference an offset dish would make to a prime focus dish pointing-wise :confused
On my moteck setup I actually have different setups to 0.8°W and to 1°W to make it perfect, did you try doing that? Is your skew perfectly tweaked?

ps: would you mind using some punctuation on your posts? It would make it so much easier to read :)

ps2: forget about nilesat with an 80cm dish on your location ;)

peaceandlove

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Multimo 40cm for ho
My Location
Slough, Berkshire
kamaleon said:
Regarding your setup: I'm not sure what difference an offset dish would make to a prime focus dish pointing-wise :confused
On my moteck setup I actually have different setups to 0.8°W and to 1°W to make it perfect, did you try doing that? Is your skew perfectly tweaked?

ps: would you mind using some punctuation on your posts? It would make it so much easier to read :)

ps2: forget about nilesat with an 80cm dish on your location ;)

Sorry for my bad Vocab, trying to rush my words as at work;)

Have not thought about doing a different set up for 0.8w and one for 1 West.
Not sure how my stab usuals HH90 would act but i suppose it would just be a matter of adding another satellite into by receiver and using diseqc 1.2 settings
Very good idea Thanks for that

kamaleon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
:-rofl2 no worries, I know my moteck can do 0.1° :), good luck