external card readers

gorila22

Reaction score
Hello

I am a newbie - so sorry for my level of knowledge. I seem to fail to find some info on external card readers that could be attached to FTA recievers. Do they exist? where to find them?

Also is there a good site which compares digital recievers by their technicalities, potential etc (not price for a change).

Simon

HectorOne

Reaction score
I'd really like somebody answering that question, i'm very interested in this subject. I own a sky smartcard and right now it's installed in a receiver. It would be great if i could put the card in some kind of device that descrambles the signal for multiple free to air digital receivers in multiple rooms. So that i would not need any swapping.
Please somebody answer, thanks in advance

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Because of the way that digital receivers work, there would need to be a dedicated connection for a card reader. Many receivers have CAM slots for exactly this purpose, purely FTA receivers do not have a slot though and you cannot utilise any of the other connections for the purpose.

HectorOne

Reaction score
I mean, my current situation is:

satellite dish > receiver with smartcard installed > tv

i'd like it to be like this:

satellite dish > device with installed smart card to descramble stream > multiple FTA receivers > multiple tv

I'd like to do something like that because FTA receivers are cheaper and i wouldn't have to swap the card between multiple receivers to descramble the stream. I know there are alternatives like radio transmitters, but i'd like to preserve the video quality accross all the televisions in every room

Also, do you know if i can maybe ask for a second card for personal use (will it cost me the same as my first card?)

Anyway, thank you for your help again

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No you can't do it HectorOne, FTA receivers are exactly what they say, the decryption takes place after the de-modulation and de-multiplexing.

You can however obtain a mirror subscription card from Sky UK (I assume that is the Sky you are referring to) at a discount price for use in a second digibox.

PSK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.0W, 5.0E, 13.0E, 19.2E
Sky Digital (Sony)
TiVo, Dreambox 7000
can a card splitter be used for Sky cards? I have a dreambox and would like to try to use a card splitter to use the card in my Sky (so i can use my Tivo) and a dreambox so that i can transfer it to other dreamboxes in the house (or modulte it). Another way of solving your problem?

rgds
Peter

PS any ideas where i can buy a Sky card splitter?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
PSK said:
can a card splitter be used for Sky cards? I have a dreambox and would like to try to use a card splitter to use the card in my Sky (so i can use my Tivo) and a dreambox so that i can transfer it to other dreamboxes in the house (or modulte it). Another way of solving your problem?

rgds
Peter

PS any ideas where i can buy a Sky card splitter?

At the moment you cant. HOWEVER, there is talk of an NDS - Videoguard splitter being on the market this summer. See

http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=42880