Advice Needed Fconnectors too big for twin coax?

wr_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
Im install in my own dish. I bought a package with everything included for installation of the dish & cable. The f connectors that are in the pack seem to be a bit too big for the twin coax cable. It looks like they were meant for the single, thicker coax. Or i'm I attaching these wrong? I strip the black rubber sleeve, the fine woven wire and the foil back to expose the white coating fconnector is too big and doesnt grip the white coating. this is what ive done before with the single thicker coax cables.

The alternative is to is just to expose the copper wire and thread the fconnector straight over the black rubber sleeve.

Or are there correct size connectors to buy for the twin cable?

cheers

A

archive10

the screw -on bit goes over the black outer sheath.
The braid needs to be folded back over the outer sheath, to make electrical contact.
Search YouTube for "twist-on f connector" or something like that. Easier illustrate d than described. There's plenty of.how.to.guides on the internet too.

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
Yes, it sounds like you'll need a different type of screw on f-connector for some twin (shotgun) coax types as the cables can be thinner.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
How to fit a F Connector:
fit a F connector.jpg

But there are different sized F Connectors, as there are different sized cables.

wr_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
all sorted thanks for the info

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Did you get the right plugs or "make" the others fit?

wr_uk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky
My Location
UK
decent fit while threading back over the black sheath

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The how to fit an F connector is correct, aside from the twisting the pigtail, it's really old hat and reduces the seal of the screw connection, just fold the braid back and screw the connector on. I use a tool which cuts the outer and inner at the same time, 1/4" by 1/4".

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The how to fit an F connector is correct, aside from the twisting the pigtail...
When I fitted my first F plug years ago I tried to make up the pigtail and soon discovered that it just didn't work. I also tried to fold the sheath back but that just broke off. I would quibble slightly in the amount of inner dielectric remaining, I cut mine closer to the braid than that.

Tururu

Assembled with recycled parts
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90cm motorised dishes(98x90)+fixed+multiLNB+24Unicable.
Currently 56 satellites, 61°West to 57°East.

Octagon SF8008 4K Twin, VU+Duo², VU+Ultimo4K.
Recycled as the owner.
My Location
North of Madrid (28703 Spain) -3Km of IKEA (40.545847, -3.612012).:-)
Unfortunately not all connectors "F" have the same internal diameter for threading and some wires have 1 millimeter diameter (the good), being a problem if they are first put connectors, with practice it's no problem.
Instead of the mesh weave it all together (all), if we turn over the shirt will be easier, as in the drawing.
11.png

If the difference in diameter is very large, to start tapping right, an option is to cut a few millimeters in black shirt on one side, thus the diameter is smaller, starting threaded connector and then threading the rest of shirt uncut (good).

Half screw the concetor "F", you cut the hair of the mesh and finish threading the connector, being very good.
I always spot some hair mesh and is very annoying if you do not leave "shaving".
antena_parabolica_092.JPG

-------------
Por desgracia no todos los conectores "F" tienen el mismo diametro interno para roscar y algunos cables tienen 1 milimetro mas de diametro (los buenos), siendo un problema si son los primeros conectores que pones, con practica no es problema.
En lugar de trenzar la malla toda junta (todas), si la doblamos sobre la camisa sera mas facil, como en el dibujo.
Here drawing connectors.
img_a5995.gif

Si la diferencia de diametro es muy grande, para empezar a roscar bien, una opcion es cortar unos milimetros de camisa negra en un lado, de esta forma el diametro es menor, empezando a rosca el conector y luego ya roscamos sobre el resto de camisa sin cortar (bien).

A medio roscar el concetor "F", recortas los pelos de la malla y terminas de roscar el conector, quedando muy bien.
Siempre me clavo algun pelo de la malla y es muy molesto si no lo dejo "afeitado".

Last edited: